Overland, I like the respectful disaggredness of your post, so I shall not rant, but I thought that I made it somewhat clear in my post that Coz does not teach d back technique, that is clearly in the realm of elmo. He is the linebackers coach, and NO ONE has complained about them, but somehow having two exploitable corners out there due to injury and lack of depth has become Coz's problem.

Haven't you read all the "I hate Ruud" and other linebackers not tackling threads.

As I see it, lots of prople are complaining about the linebackers.

:bonez

So if Cosgrove coaches the linebackers is that why we saw missed tackles and poor tackling technique? Don't tell me the defense was in good position to make plays this yr. Remember the crappy KU offense going crazy in Memorial stadium. How about the Ok-State game where the defense just gave up? Wasn't Coz the defensive coordinator for those games?. Just because he's friends with Callahan doesn't make him a great coach. I won't be sad if he leaves.

So if Cosgrove coaches the linebackers is that why we saw missed tackles and poor tackling technique? Don't tell me the defense was in good position to make plays this yr. Remember the crappy KU offense going crazy in Memorial stadium. How about the Ok-State game where the defense just gave up? Wasn't Coz the defensive coordinator for those games?. Just because he's friends with Callahan doesn't make him a great coach. I won't be sad if he leaves.

His friendships are what open the doors for coaching opportunities.

His friendships are what open the doors for coaching opportunities.

:yeah

Its not so much what you know in this world, but who you know that will land you a job. And that is true is just about any job market out there.

You know, I have refrained from jumping in on this whole Cosgrove debate, but I am tired of this sh#t. There are three reasons that I can think off offhand that prove that all of you haters are complete idiots who know nothing about football and dare to think that you know more than someone who has been in the business for decades.

1.) There was not a single case of blown coverage in the last three years. Call me out, find a case of a player being abosolutely wide open with no one within ten yards of him. Anyone who wants to get on the Pelini bandwagon should remember a lowly Utah State team, with fairly talented tight end who is now in the NFL, who was the only player to manage to slip down the seam, SEVERAL times with no one within ten yards of him proves that anyone who says that Cosgrove, who doesnt teach d back technique, is to blame for our struggles against the pass.

2.) If you had Cortney Grixby, and Andre Jones, who is completely inexperienced at that level, as cornerbacks, would you be the one to have them play press coverage with no one over the top, basically conceding the touchdown if the reciever cought the ball? No, I thought not. If you noticed from the two years previous to that, we had some pretty talented cornerbacks, and no one complained about our pass defense.

3.) LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. Im sorry to say it, but the average high school coach/internet poster knows far less than the average division one level, and even if you are arrogant enough and stupid enough to believe that you know more than coz, consider what opposing coaches say. Mack Brown complemented our defensive scheme, saying that most defenses blitz just to eat up bodies, but that Nebraska blitzed to overload you til you simply couldnt block people, and said that our defense was TOUGH TO DEFEND AGAINST because of that. For someone who controls only the overall scheme of the defense, and the technique of the linebackers, who are the most overacheiving unit on the team and have been for the last few years, this is high praise.

THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK, IT MIGHT JUST STOP YOU FROM BEING STUPID IN FRONT OF ALOT OF PEOPLE.

Stuckin, you are right on some points.

However, do you really believe in off-man coverage...when it is man-to-man? Zone, yes. But playing 10 yards off the LOS when it is 3rd and 5 in man coverage just doesn't make sense. I do understand not getting beat deep, but where where the safties? I hope the recruits at S are better than what we have now.

How about playing the DE's inside when the other team is burning you outside and you don't adjust (OKST & KU)?

I have spoken to a couple different coaches about NU's gameplan. They each saw two NU games (prior to the B12 Champ and the Cotton Bowl). They were in agreement that they were bad plans.

Having said that, they were both impressed with the gameplan in the Cotton Bowl and the BTCG.

If Coz can build on what he did in NU's last 2 games, he's great. But do you think he will? I hope so.

I don't want NU to go with another D-Coordinator, and mix the kids up again.

From the Lincoln Journal Star today:

Coz speculation

At this point, the Kevin Cosgrove-Minnesota Vikings buzz is just that -- speculation.

Two Minnesota Vikings beat reporters said today they have heard nothing concrete regarding the possibility of Cosgrove taking over as the NFL team's defensive coordinator in the wake of Pittsburgh hiring Mike Tomlin as head coach.

Tomlin, 34, was introduced Monday in Pittsburgh after a season in which Minnesota ranked No. 8 in the NFL in total defense.

Cosgrove, 51, is a good friend of Vikings head coach Brad Childress. They worked together as assistants on staffs at Illinois in the early 1980s and Wisconsin throughout the 1990s, with Childress coaching offense and Cosgrove defense.

Cosgrove, as Nebraska's defensive coordinator, has an annual salary of $225,000 (he's signed through Jan. 31, 2008). Last year at this time, Childress offered Cosgrove the job as Vikings' linebackers coach. That offer was in the $300,000 to $400,000 range.

A defensive coordinator position with the Vikes would be worth in excess of $500,000 annually.

You know, I have refrained from jumping in on this whole Cosgrove debate, but I am tired of this sh#t. There are three reasons that I can think off offhand that prove that all of you haters are complete idiots who know nothing about football and dare to think that you know more than someone who has been in the business for decades.

1.) There was not a single case of blown coverage in the last three years. Call me out, find a case of a player being abosolutely wide open with no one within ten yards of him. Anyone who wants to get on the Pelini bandwagon should remember a lowly Utah State team, with fairly talented tight end who is now in the NFL, who was the only player to manage to slip down the seam, SEVERAL times with no one within ten yards of him proves that anyone who says that Cosgrove, who doesnt teach d back technique, is to blame for our struggles against the pass.

2.) If you had Cortney Grixby, and Andre Jones, who is completely inexperienced at that level, as cornerbacks, would you be the one to have them play press coverage with no one over the top, basically conceding the touchdown if the reciever cought the ball? No, I thought not. If you noticed from the two years previous to that, we had some pretty talented cornerbacks, and no one complained about our pass defense.

3.) LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. Im sorry to say it, but the average high school coach/internet poster knows far less than the average division one level, and even if you are arrogant enough and stupid enough to believe that you know more than coz, consider what opposing coaches say. Mack Brown complemented our defensive scheme, saying that most defenses blitz just to eat up bodies, but that Nebraska blitzed to overload you til you simply couldnt block people, and said that our defense was TOUGH TO DEFEND AGAINST because of that. For someone who controls only the overall scheme of the defense, and the technique of the linebackers, who are the most overacheiving unit on the team and have been for the last few years, this is high praise.

THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK, IT MIGHT JUST STOP YOU FROM BEING STUPID IN FRONT OF ALOT OF PEOPLE.

thanks chicago... i fully agree.. i love sitting here and listening to SOME of these people that played pop warner think that they know whats going on...i don't think that it's coz's fault at all...even the players admit to sometimes not following the correct read, or taking plays off... we can't have that. I don't think it's coz at all.. i think that possibly it could be a position coach playing the guy that kisses the most tail and not necessarily doing what is best for the team...anyways HOORAH to you chicago

thanks chicago... i fully agree.. i love sitting here and listening to SOME of these people that played pop warner think that they know whats going on...i don't think that it's coz's fault at all...even the players admit to sometimes not following the correct read, or taking plays off... we can't have that. I don't think it's coz at all.. i think that possibly it could be a position coach playing the guy that kisses the most tail and not necessarily doing what is best for the team...anyways HOORAH to you chicago

:wub: Not a surprise there.

sorry if my post seems ignorant because i didnt read the entire thread because it seems pretty heated.

Moving on, I would not bet on Cosgrove leaving. Not when he is as close to winning something (Conference Championship, BCS Bowl, maybe even the National Championship) than he ever has as long as he has been here. They are trying to build something and to leave it still in scaffolding just doesnt make sense to me.

In retrospect, we have seen it before. People are unpredictable.

sorry if my post seems ignorant because i didnt read the entire thread because it seems pretty heated.

Moving on, I would not bet on Cosgrove leaving. Not when he is as close to winning something (Conference Championship, BCS Bowl, maybe even the National Championship) than he ever has as long as he has been here. They are trying to build something and to leave it still in scaffolding just doesnt make sense to me.

In retrospect, we have seen it before. People are unpredictable.

we certainly have seen a bunch of that this year........

how do position coaches dictate the outcome of who plays vs. the D coordinator? there is so much rampant speculation here it is absurd...

I'm pretty sure it is just like how Randy Jordan says what RB plays, Gilmore puts in the WR, Wagner teh OL and so on. That is why they are position coaches. DC and OC make the play calls the position coaches make the player calls. That is not speculation that has been said in numerous articles.

Yes, I have been very critical of Coz, and no, I don't know more the Coz or Callahan. Hey, have to say that if the NFL is looking at him, he must have some positives (they aren't really in the market to lose football games). But I do know two things...

1. Our last two year's defensive rankings will not win us national championships.

2. If you want to blame the players for not being talented enough, isn't it the coaches job to recruit talented players?

I'll give Coz one thing and one thing only: When Callahan first started we were very depleted on the offensive side of the ball to run the WCO offense and we had a pretty talented defense. Thus, our recruiting focus HAD to be on offense. As you can see this year, we are trying to make up for that. I'm willing to give him 2 more years before I call for his head.

how do position coaches dictate the outcome of who plays vs. the D coordinator? there is so much rampant speculation here it is absurd...

I'm pretty sure it is just like how Randy Jordan says what RB plays, Gilmore puts in the WR, Wagner teh OL and so on. That is why they are position coaches. DC and OC make the play calls the position coaches make the player calls. That is not speculation that has been said in numerous articles.

i would sure think there would be discussion, no?