Let's have a good discussion about this

i didn't take it as a negative either, he played all year and never complained once, he simply made one comment about coverages and schemes after season which he felt limited his productivity and i happen to agree with him. i suppose coz used him in the best way to help the team.as someone said, the LB's had to help the weak DB's all year and that curtailed most of the blitzing schemes. anyway, he should be a great one in the pros

There is no "I" in team. First of all, it's the coaches job to win ballgames. It is not and I stress NOT their job to get players into the NFL or win individual awards. For example, Michael Jordan on any given night probably could have put up 50+ points per game. However if you look at the statistics, the Bulls didn't win a high percentage of their games when he did so. It was better for them to win the game if he wasn't "stealing the show".

Brandon Jackson's numbers would have been a lot better this year if he'd have run the ball 40+ times per game. Zack Taylor's numbers would have been a lot better if he'd have put up 40+ passes per game. There's a lot of players on the team that would have had better stats if things were done differently. However, it's about winning the game rather than personal achievements.

Maybe not right now, but I bet at some time later in their life a past Heisman winner (Crouch, Smith, etc.) will tell you that they'd have rather won a NC than the Heisman any day. It's a team sport, and players and coaches should go about it with win as a team first mentality. It's when you get all the egos wrapped up in the game when things spiral out of control. The Yankees should win the penant every year when looking at the team on paper. The "Dream" team should win the gold every time in the Olympics. They don't because they get too many "ME" players on the team or as my dad would put it, "too many Chiefs and not enough Indians". Take TO (Terrell Owens) for example. He's a selfish "ME" players that spreads cancer and poison throughout the entire team.

I'm not glad Carriker said anything, but at least he didn't say it in a demeaning way. He said it with some class that makes it pretty difficult to come back on him or the coaching staff. I think there's a good chance he could have a long illustrious career in the pro's.

You didn't hear him complaining during the year, nor was there any hint that he was mad about it, so Carriker's comment is perfectly justifiable. He's now in the business of promoting himself so he can make as much money as possible.

And it doesn't hurt that he's speaking the truth. Our DBs were so bad, the coaches decided that they couldn't use a real complex blitz package until late in the year.

I think this year actually helped Carriker for two reasons:

1) He showed he's coachable and team-oriented.

2) He became a better run defender.

I have no problem with what Carriker said. He's right. And he's not the first college player who was kept down a bit by the coaching scheme, but can possibly blossom into a star in the pros.

You didn't hear him complaining during the year, nor was there any hint that he was mad about it, so Carriker's comment is perfectly justifiable. He's now in the business of promoting himself so he can make as much money as possible.

And it doesn't hurt that he's speaking the truth. Our DBs were so bad, the coaches decided that they couldn't use a real complex blitz package until late in the year.

I think this year actually helped Carriker for two reasons:

1) He showed he's coachable and team-oriented.

2) He became a better run defender.

I have no problem with what Carriker said. He's right. And he's not the first college player who was kept down a bit by the coaching scheme, but can possibly blossom into a star in the pros.

Great post...great points.. I agree, he's now in a business.

Carriker did what he was supposed to do at Nebraska based on the personnel we had each year. To bad the secondary let him and the rest of the blackshirts down this year. Sure there's no I in TEAM but some players see that you can make ME from it. The coaches should also point out MEAT can be made from it and if they don't perform the next "choice cut" will replace them.

I don't take it as a negative comment. I think he asked to do what was best for the team. It kind of says what most of could see, that we were a little week at d/b. His stock has only gone up since the Senior Bowl, and now on to the combines. I think the pros like a team player a lot more than a me first type, like T. Owens. Hope the we see a bunch of this years seniors make it to the pros.

GBR!!!