callahan

now just to let you know I have thought about this for a while

After the last press conference I have done a lot of thinking, Callahan basically repeated everything he has already said and avoiding everyone's questions. Don't get me wrong I know it is not just Callahan it is everyone, but is that as sports fans what we want. When asked what keller's best charertisic was he replied, not the exact qoute but something like this

-You know all of our guys are good competers, everyone has their own qualities, you know we think we got a pretty good team here, and we hustle and compete with everyone

now I know that isn't exactly what he said but throughout the press confernce I heard him say that at least 10 times

I guess what I am getting at is as fans I that what we want from our coaches of not just NU but any school

I dont know what else they can say really. They certianly are not going to pick apart players in the media, and with as wide open as they make the starting jobs, they have to remain unbiased there too. I think the main reason we get these answers, is there really isnt anything to talk about.

I am sure we would love to hear how every drill went for the QBs and which ones Ganz or Keller were better at, but it isnt really our buisness, and isnt fair to the players. For them to really get the most out of practice, it is better if we dont hear every little thing. I couldnt imagine the kind of added pressure that would put on them.

what did you expect? this is "coach-speak" and our guy is one the best when it comes to this type of activity. sad, but don't expect it to change, a politician or an attorney, yes, you would expect this non comital, non descriptive crap. maybe this IS callahan's strong suit?

that is my point exactly, I don't like it I know he does it and I expect it but I still hate it

I dont know what else they can say really. They certianly are not going to pick apart players in the media, and with as wide open as they make the starting jobs, they have to remain unbiased there too. I think the main reason we get these answers, is there really isnt anything to talk about.

I am sure we would love to hear how every drill went for the QBs and which ones Ganz or Keller were better at, but it isnt really our buisness, and isnt fair to the players. For them to really get the most out of practice, it is better if we dont hear every little thing. I couldnt imagine the kind of added pressure that would put on them.

a strong point for example is he has a good arm, that doesn't pick him apart but it gives a real answer

good points there, and we know what happens when a player rips apart his teammates to the media, it has happened before. look at the nfl in 06. T.O., Michael Strahan, etc. its just bad news, either way you look at it.

In the present era of message boards and 24 hour media scrutiny all a coach can do is try to avoid controversy for him and his players. It doesn't really bother me that Callahan gives vague answers to any questions this time of year. He knows that ultimately he'll be judged by the product he puts on the field and that's what he'll have to answer for.

Every athlete and coach has to be careful what they say to the media. There's always going to be a handful of reporters out there who want to make a name for themselves by blowing something out of proportion. Remember Andre Jones last year? One comment and suddenly that was all you heard about Nebraska. Callahan has to be careful what he says and set a good example for his players.

On top of that - Cally may not know what he has yet in Witt and Lee. He may be keeping everything on the down low so he doesn't end up with another Harrison Beck episode. 18 year old kids trying to compete at this level will almost certainly lack maturity and confidence.

Personally I like the mentality that the press doesn't need to know everything and the team's well being comes first.

We need to know exactly what BC tells us. He really does not need to tell us anything. TO was pretty close to vest to.

We need to know when some one is injured or quits. We need to know when they are in trouble with the law.

Making statements about one being better than another at this time destroys the idea of fair competition. When it needs to be known we will know who the starters are, until then I really do not care. I have nothing to say about it either way. Let the coaches do their jobs, and us to do ours, support the team and staff no matter what happens.

We as fans are owed nothing. Review my previous post about your other asinine thread. Show me a coach who yells and screams and is entertaining and gives up big facts and I'll show you John L. Smith, Hawkins, Spurrier, and John Cheney. None of these coaches I would want anywhere near an NU team.

Get over it. Get used to it.

I wish Callahan would just tell us the entire gameplan before each game and show us the plays they are planning to run so that we would know what to expect. I also wish he would tell us what he personally thinks of each and every player. Then he could jump up and down, yell and scream, and tell everyone to go play intramurals, brother. Oh and after each loss, it would be great if instead of saying the other team played well I wish he would say "THET ARE WHAT WE THOUGHT THEY WERE. IF YOU WANNA CROWN EM, CROWN EM." Yeah, that would be great.

Meanwhile, back on earth. Are you serious? I mean really are you? Look at almost any successful coach and listen to their press conferences/dealings with the media. They ALWAYS SAY THE SAME THING. Belichick, Osborne, Parcells, They all hate talking to the media. You wanna know why? THAT'S NOT THEIR DAMN JOB! Their job is to coach a team and win football games not come up with some great quips and give us indepth information on the team.

Oh, I also remember one time when Callahan tried to be honest and give a candid response. He said his team (the Raiders) played like the "dumbest team in America." Which of course if anyone who has watched any games of them in the past few years knows is completely true, he gets completely blasted for saying that. The guys just can't win.

HF500:

What would your answer be if YOU were the Coach? Knowing full well that your whole team, their parents, their neighbors brother's bets friend..will probably read it.??

When asked what keller's best charertisic was he should reply.

"Well...He's a snappy dresser and he doesn't smell too bad after he showers".

I get tired of all the stupid questions Sideline reporters ask Coaches (But what else are they going to ask?).

Just once I'd love the Coach to say while running to the lockerroom for halftime and being confronted with "What will be Keys to your team winning this thing"?

"Uh..Hopefully...Score more points than they do".