Zach Potter

ind

NU's Potter eager for his chance to start

By Mike Babcock

For The Independent

LINCOLN -- A large door opened for Zach Potter this spring. A 6-foot-6, 295-pound door swung open, you might say. And the junior-to-be from Omaha is walking through.

For the past two football seasons, Potter has found himself in an unenviable position, base defensive end. As such, he has mostly watched while Adam Carriker played.

Potter's most notable accomplishment to date probably was blocking what would have been a game-winning field goal attempt by Pittsburgh two seasons ago.

But now, with Carriker's eligibility exhausted, his opportunity is at hand.

The prospect of replacing, or more precisely succeeding, Carriker, a projected first-round NFL draft pick, is exciting and a little daunting. "I feel a ton of pressure," Potter said.

Fans look at him, especially his size, and see another Carriker. "Everyone's like, 'Well, why can't Zach Potter be 6-7, 300 pounds just like Adam Carriker?' Everyone's different," said Potter.

For starters, Potter doesn't weigh 300 pounds. And he doesn't intend to weigh that much. He's most comfortable at 285. He got up to 295 during the season but didn't like being so heavy.

The reason? "I felt really slow," he said. So he dropped to 275 during winter conditioning and built himself back up with "the right type of weight. I feel a lot better than I did last fall."

He also feels a lot better in practice, knowing he controls whether he plays. In the past, he knew the job was Carriker's, and try as he might to avoid it that affected how he practiced.

"Don't take anything away from him but . . . I couldn't really practice hard because I knew I wasn't going to be a starter in front of him," Potter said. "It's a lot easier, practices now."

Apparently, the base-end position is being redefined slightly to take advantage of what Potter does best. "We're changing him, really, from a 'base-5 technique' to a '6-technique.' So he'll be aligning more over the tight end than over the tackle, per se," coach Bill Callahan said.

Carriker's strength was such that he could line up inside, like a defensive tackle. In fact, his strength, and the commitment that produced it, are what set him apart, according to Potter.

"I think the thing that helped Adam the most was that he was willing to put in the hours and hours of time that he put in the weight room. I think that's the thing that set him apart from not only myself but the whole defense. Rumors that I've heard, I never really asked him because it believed it, he'd lift here and then he'd go over to East Campus and lift over there," said Potter.

"He was just a great player. You can't take anything away from him."

You can't take anything away in the sense of detracting. But Potter has taken a lot away from Carriker, almost since the day he arrived at Nebraska two summers ago.

He didn't really know who Carriker was, Potter said, "but he took me under his wing."

That was especially true last spring and through last season. Carriker "taught me everything I know right now, so I've got to credit him for a lot," said Potter.

Carriker was "a freak of nature," he said. "I mean, you can ask anybody on our team. He's a special guy. So there might be a little drop-off there, just in that."

But he has the system "down pat" from two year's worth of mental reps. As a result, "I think, in a way, I might be more sound in my alignments and techniques because Adam, he could cheat a little more or he could just do certain things he could get away with because he was so strong, such a physical player," Potter said. "So I might be more fundamentally sound that way, getting into my alignment.

"He could cheat a little bit and not give it away as much, where they might be able to read me a little more, just because I'm going to be in the right alignment compared to where he was."

Carriker wasn't necessarily "doing his own thing," said Potter. "But in a way he kind of was."

Carriker's thing was causing havoc with an offense. That earned him recognition as the Big 12 defensive lineman of the year. Clearly, his successor has big shoes to fill.

Potter's focus this spring is to fill them, in his own way.

"I'm not going to be another Adam Carriker," he said. "If I am, that's great. But I'd rather just be my own self, be Zach Potter, create my own image to people."

The door is wide open. And he's happy about that. Still, "I loved when Adam was here," Potter said. "Adam was like a big brother to me. I could call him."

He'll still be able to call Carriker, of course. "I was talking to other people like, 'I'm actually going to know a guy in the NFL I can call up and talk to him,'" said Potter.

Practice report

LINCOLN -- The Nebraska football team continued spring workouts with a two-and-a-half hour practice in full pads inside the Hawks Championship Center Monday afternoon.

Defense continues to be a major focus for the NU coaching staff during spring ball. The Huskers will have to replace 10 letterwinners, including six starters, from last year's defensive unit. Defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove sees great value in spring camp.

"When fall camp starts, it will all be carry-over because basically our whole package will be installed," Cosgrove said. "We're getting them used to our practice tempo and how to practice. Those new guys will understand those things after going through the camp."

The Huskers will look to build on their strength inside. While Nebraska lost all four starters on the defensive line, both Ndamakong Suh and Ty Steinkuhler saw significant action last year for the Huskers in reserve roles. Cosgrove noted that Suh has made strides during the offseason.

"Suh is so strong and physical," Cosgrove said. "I see his quickness improving and he's a very powerful guy, so I think he'll be tough on the inside."

Meanwhile, the Huskers also will have to replace defensive ends Jay Moore and Adam Carriker, who made a combined 64 starts during their NU careers. Candidates to take over at those two spots include Zach Potter and Barry Turner, who is sidelined during the spring after undergoing shoulder surgery.

"We're ahead on the inside positions, but our outside guys will come along," Cosgrove said. "They're getting a lot of reps this spring."

In the defensive backfield, Nebraska is taking advantage of spring practice by slightly adjusting its coverages.

"You never want to stay the same," Cosgrove said. "You always want to try to improve yourself, and anything we can add to the scheme we have right now, we're going to try and do it."

The Huskers will practice next on Wednesday, the fifth scheduled workout of spring camp, as the Huskers continue to build toward the April 14 Red-White Spring Game at Memorial Stadium. Fans may purchase tickets for the spring game by logging onto Huskers.com or calling the Husker Athletic Ticket Office at 1-800-8 BIG RED.

Don't take anything away from him but . . . I couldn't really practice hard because I knew I wasn't going to be a starter in front of him," Potter said. "It's a lot easier, practices now."

hmmm...that attitude sounds familiar from high school...only thing was he didn't work hard then because the starting job was already his. Ok, maybe I'm a bit harsh...I guess he did do some upper body workouts because he was pretty good about lifting adult beaverage containers.

Let's go Pierre

absolutely the most pitiful excuse for not practicing hard......"gee i knew i wasn't going to start so......" well, what if you had to come in and play for an injuried Carriker for half the season?? this guy has a piss poor work ethic in my mind.....i will be surprised if he excells at all beyond average.

absolutely the most pitiful excuse for not practicing hard......"gee i knew i wasn't going to start so......" well, what if you had to come in and play for an injuried Carriker for half the season?? this guy has a piss poor work ethic in my mind.....i will be surprised if he excells at all beyond average.

From what I have read/heard, his work ethic in high school was not very high as well. It's not necessarily a switch that you turn on. If he is half-assing it, or even 3/4-assing it, he will get passed up.

Leopards don't change their spots. He sounds like a Beckism to me. So much talent and no real heart of a champion. I would rather have someone who works their butt off and give 110% than all talent no heart. Sad situation it seems to me. Semper Fi Not.

From what I have read/heard, his work ethic in high school was not very high as well. It's not necessarily a switch that you turn on. If he is half-assing it, or even 3/4-assing it, he will get passed up.

Yea, that's the thing about having guys who want it more than you. You kind of get passed up and forgotten... Oh well. There will always be field goal block team, Potter.

This is why, many, many times on this board, I have asked if ANYONE has any insight on Potter....it seems like most of us have/had him listed as the guy to take over for Carriker..... I just dont' buy it, or see it happening...

Just my personal opinion... Outside of making an impact on special teams (absolutely, extrememly important impact).... I just haven't seen or heard enough about him to just "assume" that he will be next in line.....

My gut feeling is that he will be a guy we all will consider a "bust" in a few years.....probably will not start, be disgruntled, and and will transfer to UNO to finish his "over-hyped potential" career....

Hope I am wrong, and he is all-big 12 !!!!! Go Big Red

I disagree. ther are some people that can turn it of and on. also I think that kids can get stereotyped. I remember hearing the same thing about Chris Kelsay. lots of talent, but will never be as good as his brother because he didnt work hard. so much for that prediction huh?