No. 1 v Scrubs

I like the way schools like Ohio St among more do it. The team votes for 2 captains and they then "draft" their team. Would have been kind of cool if Keller and Ganz drafter their teams to play each other.

The reason we do it the way we do seems to always have the answer of "we dont want anyone getting hurt" well they obviously doesnt work because we had 2 major players injuried this year...

The more you worry about injuries seems to be when they happen <_<

No.

They do plenty of 1's vs 1's in practice, the Spring Game is for the fans. Just think if Keller/Ganz went against the #1 defense and struggled. Message boards, papers would all be in an uproar until the fall that we have no quarterback. Of course rational people realize that one practice cannot tell you enough to judge a player, but if you have been around enough message board (and newspaper columnists) you know there are plenty of irrational people.

Would it make the "game" more competitive? Yes. But one extra practice (in the spring no less) against the 1's isn't going to make that big of a deal. JMO.

I don't mind this way all that much as the coaches already know what the players can do against each other. This practice is just a way for the fans to see how the team is doing and this way both the first string O and D look good. I wish they would at least go against each other for a series or just a goal line set at the end of the scrimmage though.

its fine, no matter what the players are not going to go 110% when the coaches tell them not to, it is a fun football day used for recuirting and simulating the feel of gameday. No matter what way they do it, it shows little of the actual team

but I think the draft would be kinda cool, but if a good player gets picked close to last for not being a friend of the captains or whatever imagine the publicity focused on no team unity and no trust so I think we are ok now

No.

They do plenty of 1's vs 1's in practice, the Spring Game is for the fans. Just think if Keller/Ganz went against the #1 defense and struggled. Message boards, papers would all be in an uproar until the fall that we have no quarterback. Of course rational people realize that one practice cannot tell you enough to judge a player, but if you have been around enough message board (and newspaper columnists) you know there are plenty of irrational people.

Would it make the "game" more competitive? Yes. But one extra practice (in the spring no less) against the 1's isn't going to make that big of a deal. JMO.

Exactly. No sense in showing teams on the fall schedule any deficiencies there may be on offense or defense. Would hate to see the the #1 offense rip the #1 defense, especially with all of the secondary problems we had last year.

I've always said the draft version of the springgame is worthless, I'd much rather have the #1 O-Line working as one protecting the #1 QB who is calling audibles and shifts along with the 1st team Defense relaying changes and cadence to each other in front of 60,000 fans than having a bunch of players playing out of position or playing between depths due to uneven drafts that can turn out to be nothing more than popularity contests.

Whether the 1's play the 1's or not doesn't matter much for the spring game, what matters is doing what you have done in practice in front of thousands of screaming fans. Spring football isn't about being the best at your position right now, it's about having a bit of fun and getting pumped up for the upcoming summer training camp where players work their hardest they have all off season and coaches figure out who will be the best starters this fall.

A lot of people get all butthurt about the #1's vs. "scrubs".

It's a scrimmage, not a game... No need to go all out. It's simply a game to run through the playbook, get things down & not totally kill eachother.

It also gives the #2's good playing time against some tough competition.