I'm guessing this is all pure speculation or at least I hope so. The college game is a lot different than the pro game. If we switch to a 3-4, teams like OU will just grind us to death like we used to do to every team we played. We don't have Ray Lewis or Ulacher type LB's. We don't have relatively fast DL. I can see running 3-4 against predominately passing teams, but there's still a lot of running teams in the Big 12.

I'm guessing this is all pure speculation or at least I hope so. The college game is a lot different than the pro game. If we switch to a 3-4, teams like OU will just grind us to death like we used to do to every team we played. We don't have Ray Lewis or Ulacher type LB's. We don't have relatively fast DL. I can see running 3-4 against predominately passing teams, but there's still a lot of running teams in the Big 12.

It isnt as simple as that. ANyhow, the Bears run a 4-3. As do the Ravens, most of the time. With the 3-4 becomming more popular in the NFL, more college teams will move to it. There are pros and cons to every defensive base set. For every OU that wants to grind it, there is a MU or a TT that wants to run a track meet. The 3-4 needs bigger ends and a 300+ Tackle to be effective. Then with lots of speed at linebacker.

anytime your D aligment is such that it may offer success against the run, the other team will take it everytime. most teams would rather shut down the run and make the opposing team beat them with the pass.

remember, when you throw the ball, there are 3 outcomes and two of them are bad (INT and INC).

I don't think we have the personal to use a 3-4 to shut down the run, but we should be able use it to defend the pass. Having Octavian and Brandeburgh out there to rush the passer with the front three and then having McKeon and Rudd for Pass coverage should allow the coaches to be creative with coverages and blitzes.

anytime your D aligment is such that it may offer success against the run, the other team will take it everytime. most teams would rather shut down the run and make the opposing team beat them with the pass.

remember, when you throw the ball, there are 3 outcomes and two of them are bad (INT and INC).

All this talk about the 3-4 has gotten me thinking about what I saw last year with SC and I didn't recognized it until you guys starting saying what you are saying. I feel so dumb (you don't have to jump in here) because I think we were playing the 3-4 often last year but disguising it as a 4-3. PAC 10 coaches are always saying what a good job PC does disguising his defense, and I think this 3-4 stuff is part of what they were talking about. Here is how they did it. They would line up in a 4-3 and #10 Brian Cushing would drop back into pass coverage. He never went to a three point stance so it was difficult to tell if he was rushing or dropping into coverage. Dallas Sartz, linebacker on the opposite side, would do the same. Our linebackers were so fast and DBs so good in coverage we didn't need help from DE's dropping off. This wasn't about having the DE drop off in traditional coverage to help the CB. Brian was all over the field; zone as well as man-to-man. He's big enough and strong enough (6-4 245 lbs) to get to the passer, but also fast enough to cover. He was the defensive MVP of the Rose Bowl. I feel like a goof. :hmmph At times we were probably running a disguised 3-4 and I didn't see it. Perhaps NU is looking into something like that. I think your LB MeKeon could make it work like Brian Cushing does for us. McKeon really stuck out to me from last year's game.

All this talk about the 3-4 has gotten me thinking about what I saw last year with SC and I didn't recognized it until you guys starting saying what you are saying. I feel so dumb (you don't have to jump in here) because I think we were playing the 3-4 often last year but disguising it as a 4-3. PAC 10 coaches are always saying what a good job PC does disguising his defense, and I think this 3-4 stuff is part of what they were talking about. Here is how they did it. They would line up in a 4-3 and #10 Brian Cushing would drop back into pass coverage. He never went to a three point stance so it was difficult to tell if he was rushing or dropping into coverage. Dallas Sartz, linebacker on the opposite side, would do the same. Our linebackers were so fast and DBs so good in coverage we didn't need help from DE's dropping off. This wasn't about having the DE drop off in traditional coverage to help the CB. Brian was all over the field; zone as well as man-to-man. He's big enough and strong enough (6-4 245 lbs) to get to the passer, but also fast enough to cover. He was the defensive MVP of the Rose Bowl. I feel like a goof. :hmmph At times we were probably running a disguised 3-4 and I didn't see it. Perhaps NU is looking into something like that. I think your LB MeKeon could make it work like Brian Cushing does for us. McKeon really stuck out to me from last year's game.

I think this guy is on to something. :thumbs

Alas! The secret is out! Quick, call Callahan! BWA HA HA HA HA!

What? That's not the secret? Son of a....!

Didn't we have some pkgs last with a 3-4 look last yr? We didn't use it a whole lot but I'm sure it was a topic last yr. So this is old news. Also... the press was limited to spring workouts last yr too. So this reviewer needed to do more homework if you ask me.

We did run a few packages out of the 3/4 where McKeon would swing between linebacker and end (he didn't get into a 3pt stance but moved up close to the line and the line would shift down) depending on down and distance, with Carriker moving inside to the DT spot. We used it for I believe two series in the K-State game and may have used it in the TT game as well. IIRC we also did this with Demorrio Williams in 2003-2004 under Pelini, though I don't remember who played DT in those situations.

I am gonna give you guys a little more info. Turner is the guy that will be doing the dropping back in the 3-4. He is way too athletic and has enough speed to cover just about anyone. Yeah he has been out but definitely look out for him this fall. This will be his year.

We need to be able to run a 3-4 as well as a 5-2, depending on the opponent and our personnel.

Back in 1996, I talked to Charlie McBride about running a 3-4 just to get Mike Rucker in the game with Tomich and Wistrom. He thought it a better idea to move Tomich to play at DT. But he never did it.

So, he left an NFL player on the sidelines at least half the game.

You shouldn't do that.

Do we have the backers for a 3-4? If Dillard is good to go, you have to think so. Is Suh enough of a monster in the middle to make it work? I say let's find out.

You must use your best personnel. This year our linebacker personnel have the edge of the front four.

We've had problems in the past leaving guys like Terrell Farley, DeMorrio Williams, and Mike Rucker on the sideline too much.

i don't see why Octo or BT can't be a hybrid linebacker type. they both have the athletic ability to rush from the 3-point or standing. i'd like to see this stuff get run against Mizzou, Okie State, sCUm, and even Texas. the spread is a killer, so you're gonna need that extra athletic ability, if it comes from an extra defensive back or an extra 'backer. i mean why not.

i'm also not surprised that Pete Carrol runs the 3-4 alot. he came out of the Parcells-Belichick mold.