Purify avoids court

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=2393594

LINCOLN - Nebraska receiver Maurice Purify has been authorized to participate in a pre-trial diversion program, which would make it unlikely that formal charges would be filed against him in Lancaster County court for his arrest nearly four weeks ago.

Chief City Prosecutor John McQuinn said his office, after reviewing police reports, agreed to pre-trial diversion at the request of Purify's attorney, Jon Braaten. As of Wednesday, however, McQuinn said nothing has been arranged yet.

Purify is scheduled for a June 7 appearance in Lancaster County court.

"At the present time, we assume that he won't be going to court if he participates in pre-trial diversion," McQuinn said. "If something should happen and if he elects not to participate, then our office would probably reassign him a court date."

It's unclear how pre-trial diversion might affect any team discipline handed down by Nebraska coach Bill Callahan. In a statement after Purify's arrest, Callahan said he was "very concerned about this current situation" but wouldn't comment further until the matter went through the legal process.

Lincoln police charged Purify with two counts of assault, resisting arrest, trespassing and failure to comply after a May 5 incident at a downtown Lincoln bar. Purify allegedly threw a man over a table and hit him several times, and allegedly also struck the victim's girlfriend.

Purify was the Huskers' second-leading receiver last season, catching 34 passes for 630 yards and seven touchdowns.

I would be surprised if he was suspended for more than a game. The case must have been pretty weak against him and I am sure they are taking it easy on him because it is his first time in trouble. Well, Mo got lucky, so keep your butt out of trouble now and perform on the field.

I would be surprised if he was suspended for more than a game. The case must have been pretty weak against him and I am sure they are taking it easy on him because it is his first time in trouble. Well, Mo got lucky, so keep your butt out of trouble now and perform on the field.

I was thinking the same thing. One game suspension might happen....but, I doubt any more than that. good news for husker nation. It is imperative, IMO, that he plays against USC (we need all of our offensive weapons).

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant wait to hear from everyone that said he needs to be suspended,

why isnt cally making a statement. That is the freaking reason why.

OK - you can hear from me. He does need some sort of punishment/suspension. Just because he isn't going to court doesn't mean he didn't do anything wrong. Players, whether it be football, baseball, basketball, etc. are kicked off of teams all the time across the country for 'conduct detrimental to the team' or 'violating team policies'. Pretty sure that getting into a bar fight and re-entering after being thrown out would classify as either of those. No...he doesn't need to be kicked off the team, but he does need to be dealt with, whether it's 1, 2, 3 or more games.

Well, Mo got lucky, so keep your butt out of trouble now and perform on the field.

:yeah

I'm pretty sure that is the biggest thing that BC and the rest of the coaching/administration need to stress right now...for Mo and the entire roster. Regardless of how "Everyday Joe" you might feel you are (or have the right to be)...every eye (and newspaper, station, publication) is watching your every step. Do something really good off the field and one of them might notice. Mis-step and they will all be ready to pounce.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What reason? I must've missed the part of that article where it said he was found not guilty. Could you please point it out for me?

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What reason? I must've missed the part of that article where it said he was found not guilty. Could you please point it out for me?

Exactly. Generally coming to a settlement/arrangement/agreement out of court is an admission to some degree of guilt and just taking the lumps without the drawn out legal process.

Speaking from a detectives aspect as far as pre-trial diversion goes. I have seen it go both ways in dealing with district and county attorneys. Many times DA's or CA's will offer lesser plea's to save the tax payers money on crimes that to be honest aren't that serious. Most of the defense attorney's will advise that their clients take pre-trial pleas or diversions if there is evidence against their client. Other times they turn it down and want to fight to clear their name. I have seen this happen too, where the defense attorney thinks they have the case beat only to have it backfire on their client. I live in a college town and we have NUMEROUS bar fights every weekend. If the courts decidecd to prosecute every one our city and state tax would be out of the roof! Courts are a tricky, political game of cat and mouse. No offense to any attorneys that are on this board but I really dislike dealing with them! :) Of course sCUm fans and the rest of the unintelligent or selective thinking folk will say that "it's only because it's a football player". Which is total BS. This happens every day to every avg Joe Schmuckatelly out there. Remember there's two sides to every story and then theirs the truth.

i hope this is really a wake-up call for purify.

and if this didn't do it, someone ought to sit him down and read him the life story thus far of Lawrence Lamond Phillips.

if that doesn't set him straight, i'm not sure what it would take.