Will Bowman have a real impact?

Let's face it Bowman had two good games in his entire career. Even before that he had struggled. OCtavian had a great one and a half quarters and we thought superman had suited up in Husker Red.

I think the same type of ideas and dreams are occurring. What can we really expect from a player who's trying to come back from two major knee surgeries and no game time in over a year?

I just don't see him having any real impact, on the field. I think he's a solid player and I'm glad we have him, but he's limited. Calahan has said he thinks Bowman will be ready around late September. Take into account he'll need time to adjust to game speed and contact. What can we really expect?

I expect we'll begin hearing reports he's ready to get on the field in the week leading up to the WF game. Then the fans will complain while he's not on the field through the next 3-4 games. Then he'll start making limited appearances and the fans will complain that he's not seeing more time on the field. At the end of the season the fans will blame any secondary issues on Grixby and that the coaches didn't get Bowman on the field enough. How well Bowman plays is irrelevant in this scenario.

But seriously, I agree that Bowman isn't the superstar some have made him out to be. And coming back from both knees being injured and not seeing the field for over a year means his recovery is that much harder. However, I think he's better CB than Grixby or Jones. In the end he'll see significant minutes by mid-season and he'll be ok but not super.

Let's face it Bowman had two good games in his entire career. Even before that he had struggled. OCtavian had a great one and a half quarters and we thought superman had suited up in Husker Red.

I think the same type of ideas and dreams are occurring. What can we really expect from a player who's trying to come back from two major knee surgeries and no game time in over a year?

I just don't see him having any real impact, on the field. I think he's a solid player and I'm glad we have him, but he's limited. Calahan has said he thinks Bowman will be ready around late September. Take into account he'll need time to adjust to game speed and contact. What can we really expect?

I think this perspective needs to be taken for a LOT of players that people on this board have decided can be great. I think Purify has his number retired, Octavien has an award named after him, Keller has 17 Heisman Trophies, and Thenarse just made Ronnie Lott cry.

This post should be able to bring a lot of us back to reality. I hope he can be a superstar this year and get drafted in the first round, but in all reality we shouldn't expect much from him. It wouldn't really be fair if we did. I think the draft talk from last year also had a lot to do with fans expectations be so high.

i think he WILL have an impact. anytime you can get your best players on the field it is good. even if it's 2-4 games into the season. the competition level will go up, if one corner is struggling and bowman comes back you can move people around to get better. the team will be energized and more pumped when he comes back. the morale will be higher. do i think he is superman? no, but he has shown that he has the skills to be 1st or 2nd team all conference, and that type of player, we need on the field.

just a side note on injury and recruiting: this is why it is SO important to have 4 QB's, running backs, DBs, etc..

that are all really good. if some are disgruntled and leave or have bad attitudes, then they don't deserve to be here anyway. stiff competition and not letting players get complacent is really important, everyone can get better by it. think about last year we had 4 good backs. now we might have 2. what if Taylor had gone down? injuries to bowman really hurt us. you can NEVER have enough great players. never.

I would expect that it would have looked a lot better, but I thought our LBs would be a lot better with Octavien last year and he left a lot to be desired.

I just have to agree, that we just need to keep the expectations down.

I agree with that. He has had two tough knee injuries in a row. I really think he will pull through ok as long as he doesnt push it to hard and try to play before he is ready, because that wouldnt be good for him or the team.