SIGNED: WR Khiry Cooper

He is going to cancel his summer school classes at NU, because if he wants to sign he cannot take any classes(at least according to 1620). He will also talk to the coaches then. He said on 1620 that he will either go to college or go pro not both, which IMO could hurt NU chances. Said he likes football and baseball the same.

Since I am lazy and don't want to summarize the rest of the interview here is the link to it

http://www.1620thezone.com/play_window.php...audioId=2566528

another article on the situation- http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2008/0...86075806289.txt

As much as we are excited about him playing football, I wouldn't doubt him starting at least part-time next for the huskers baseball team in center field. If he is as good as his stats and draft status, Mike Anderson could really use him on the team which had troubles hitting while losing the top 2 hitters for next year.

On a side note I have a questioning about redshirting. I doubt he would redshirt in either sport, but if he were to redshirt in football, could he play in baseball and still use it as a redshirt season? Maybe be able to play football his fifth year, but not baseball that year?

This is from a blog on LJS, with an interview with Bo

What's the latest on Khiry Cooper?

"Khiry Cooper, he's here, he's in class," Pelini said. "(The Angels) have until Aug. 15 to keep negotiating with him. They're doing that. But I think it sends a pretty strong message to what his intentions are. He's here, he's in class. He's working out."

Pelini said he thinks Cooper has a certain dollar amount in mind that the Angels would probably have to get to for him to consider signing.

But according to Cooper in the 1620 interview, he was going to drop the classes because he couldn't sign if he was enrolled in classes?

So does Bo not know what is going on, did Cooper not know the rule, or did he change his mind and is for sure going to be a husker. :dunno

another article on the situation- http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2008/0...86075806289.txt

As much as we are excited about him playing football, I wouldn't doubt him starting at least part-time next for the huskers baseball team in center field. If he is as good as his stats and draft status, Mike Anderson could really use him on the team which had troubles hitting while losing the top 2 hitters for next year.

On a side note I have a questioning about redshirting. I doubt he would redshirt in either sport, but if he were to redshirt in football, could he play in baseball and still use it as a redshirt season? Maybe be able to play football his fifth year, but not baseball that year?

lost our top 2 hitters from this year, but tezak is coming back too... we need more help than just Cooper next year, but hell, he'd def be a GREAT addition....

good luck to him no matter what he decides to do

• 2 weeks later...

Husker recruit still unsigned by Angels

BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Jun 23, 2008 - 02:09:26 pm CDT

The Angels are still pursuing. Khiry Cooper is still in Lincoln, unsigned and enjoying himself according to his prep baseball coach.

He’s seen some offers, but none yet enticing enough to make the Husker wide receiver recruit say no to college football and sign with Los Angeles, which drafted him in the fifth round of the recent baseball draft.

“If I were a betting man, I’d say he’d be at Nebraska playing football this fall,” said Rodney Traweek, who coached Cooper at Calvary Baptist Academy in Shreveport, La.

Cooper has been in Lincoln for a couple weeks. He’s taking classes and working out.

At 6-feet-2 and 180 pounds, he is viewed as a player with the potential to have an early impact on the football field for the Huskers. “A smooth player,” according to Husker head coach Bo Pelini.

And aside from seniors Nate Swift and Todd Peterson, there is not much experience returning for Nebraska at the receivers spot.

“I talked to him a couple times in the last week and he’s excited to be at Nebraska,” Traweek said.

He’s certainly not Nebraska’s for sure yet. The Angels have until Aug. 15 to sign Cooper, a center fielder/leadoff type who would likely also play baseball in Lincoln if he doesn’t sign.

Traweek said he knows the Angels haven’t given up on trying to get Cooper. “I’m sure they’ll come back with another offer or two.”

Most fifth-round picks in last year’s baseball draft received between $110,000 and $150,000 in signing bonuses. And Cooper’s scholarship to Nebraska could potentially help him get a better deal than most with the Angels.

“You have a bit of leverage,” he told the Journal Star a couple weeks ago.

But judging from the comments of his coach, the initial signing-bonus offers by the Angels weren’t as attractive as perhaps some thought they would be.

Said Traweek: “I thought it was going to be more to be quite honest with you.”

Reach Brian Christopherson at 473-7439 or bchristopherson@journalstar.com.

ljs link

I hope he realizes how little $150,000 actually is. First, there's the taxes. Second, he'll almost certainly blow some of it on a nice ride. Then, he'll end up in the minors for a few years, at least - and the pay there is awful, so he'll be tempted to dip into what's left. Better to come to NU, play both sports as much as possible, and see what happens.

I hope he realizes how little $150,000 actually is. First, there's the taxes. Second, he'll almost certainly blow some of it on a nice ride. Then, he'll end up in the minors for a few years, at least - and the pay there is awful, so he'll be tempted to dip into what's left. Better to come to NU, play both sports as much as possible, and see what happens.

You hit the nail on the head right hear. He could do a lot better by waiting but 150,000.00 is a big deal to an 18 year old.

$150k is just the signing bonus though. If he signs a contract also, he may make more than what the minors minimums are. Regardless, 150k is probably less than what a 4 year education at UNL costs, room and board, meals and the professional coaching and training he will get at UNL. Chances are, if he plays baseball here too, his stock will only improve.

$150k is just the signing bonus though. If he signs a contract also, he may make more than what the minors minimums are. Regardless, 150k is probably less than what a 4 year education at UNL costs, room and board, meals and the professional coaching and training he will get at UNL. Chances are, if he plays baseball here too, his stock will only improve.

bird in the hand verses the two in the bush. hard decisions for an 18 year old.

K, well, I finally checked Khiry out on rivals.com videos and he looks very very good. Hope he decides to play fb and baseball at NU..