LB Kenny Demens

here is an article from the Detroit Free Press

RECRUIT U.: Country Day's Demens mulling his college choice

September 28, 2007

BY VINCE ELLIS

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Kenny Demens was holding his lunch tray Thursday at Birmingham Detroit Country Day, getting ready to find a seat and have some much-needed sustenance when it came.

Someone started asking the 6-foot-1, 221-pound linebacker about his college choice.

Advertisement

It's an understandable question since Demens is scheduled to end a recruiting battle Saturday when he has a news conference at Oak Park High School.

Demens was polite and nodded his head as he got advice on honoring his commitment.

But the questioner gives some insight into why Demens is making his decision now -- he wants to end the speculation, commit to a school and concentrate on his senior season at Country Day.

"He's a great kid, but you don't know how kids internalize this stuff because it is a lot," Country Day football coach Dan MacLean said. "He's a level-headed guy, but he'll be relieved when it's over.

"He's ready for this to end so he can focus on his school work and his football team."

Recruiting Web site Rivals.com gives Demens a four-star rating (the highest is five stars).

If you are looking for insight as to which school he's leaning toward, you've come to the wrong place.

He says he truly has no idea what his decision will be.

Demens will decide between the maize and blue of Michigan or the green and white of the Spartans or the scarlet and cream of Nebraska.

He even admitted he might not know until he stands in front of those gathered Saturday and the words come out of his mouth. So you would think that he is a bundle of nerves these days. On the contrary, Demens says he is quite calm and will have a reasoned decision come Saturday.

It wasn't like that in the beginning, when MSU was the first school to offer him a scholarship in February.

"One day it would be Nebraska, the next day Michigan, the next day Michigan State," said Demens, dressed in his Country Day school uniform. "Right now, I'm not as stressed out as I was, because I know I can't go wrong with whatever I choose."

Each school has its strengths.

Since MSU was the first to offer, Demens feels a bit of loyalty to the Spartans. And he has noticed how new MSU coach Mark Dantonio has made inroads in the Detroit area -- getting commitments from Detroit Southeastern wide receiver Fred Smith and safety Charles Burrell, Novi defensive end Tyler Hoover and Birmingham Brother Rice running back Caulton Ray. He feels something special could be brewing in East Lansing.

As for Michigan, the school might as well be called Linebacker U. with its history of producing solid linebackers. And, of course, he is attracted to the academic reputation.

He just likes Nebraska, and his teammate, running back Jonas Gray, has committed to the Cornhuskers.

"It was so exciting; it was something new," Demens said of the more than 20 offers he has received. "But I've created these relationships.

"I feel like I'm going to be letting someone down."

No matter his choice, Demens says the lucky school will be getting an intense, athletic hitter with good leadership skills. He has run the 40 in 4.6 and can toss up 225 pounds, 25 times. Although the commitment isn't binding -- signing day isn't until February -- Brown says his decision will be final.

He doesn't plan anything special over the next couple days except for football and studying.

Country Day (4-1) travels to Flint Powers tonight.

Then he will wake up Saturday and go make his decision -- leaving him enough time to go catch the MSU-Wisconsin game.

My million dollar question is, Why haven't any reporters asked Gray what he thinks Demes will do? This past month I have read many articles and none of them stated anything about asking Gray. The guy HAS to know Demens destination. They are BEST FRIENDS for gosh sake!!!

And you remember when Blaine Gabbert went on a radio talk show a couple days before Gray committed...he knew what Gray's decision was and didn't say anything, but you could obviously tell by the tone of his voice. Maybe Demens told Gray not to ask him or something.....who knows????