Josh Freeman...overweight and on physically unable to perform list (PUP)

Apparently Freeman got fat over the summer and didn't make Princess' performance standards!!

http://cjonline.com/stories/080407/cat_188969880.shtml

Freeman fails pre-camp test

The Capital-Journal

Published Saturday, August 04, 2007

Kansas State's football team began preseason workouts Friday but not exactly on the best of notes.

Coach Ron Prince announced that starting quarterback Josh Freeman was among seven players placed on K-State's physically unable to perform list for failing the program's pre-camp conditioning test.

All of the players will continue to work on their conditioning but won't be permitted to practice with the team until they pass the test.

Freeman, a sophomore, started the final eight games last season for the 7-6 Wildcats.

Freeman's weight had climbed to about 258 pounds, but Prince said recently he was confident the 6-foot-6 right-hander would be in playing shape when camp started.

Freeman wasn't the only notable returning player to fail the pre-camp test. Joining him were Jordan Bedore, the projected starter at center, as well as fellow offensive linemen Derek Meyer, Brad Rooker and Brock Unruh.

All veteran players were given the conditioning test prior to the Wildcats' first practice on Friday. Players can retake the test every day and will be allowed to begin practicing as soon as they receive a sufficient score.

See topics from other boards!!

http://www.ksufans.com/forums/index.php?PH...p;topic=14383.0

http://65.98.70.3/vbbs/showthread.php?t=40521

funny thing is he tested again on saturday and failed it also. so all he can do right now is run stairs and cannot practice with the team.

one of the back-up qb's failed the test also

And this is not the time of the year in which a quarterback can afford to miss reps. They have to get their timing down in semi-live sessions; 7-on-7 drills during the summer ain't the same thing.

Freeman still in 'doghouse'

By Tim Bisel

The Capital-Journal

Published Sunday, August 05, 2007

MANHATTAN — Just three days into preseason practice, Kansas State's Josh Freeman finds himself in a place no Wildcat should be.

"I'm in the doghouse, so to speak, right now," Freeman said Saturday during K-State's Football Media Day.

Freeman, the mammoth 6-foot-6 quarterback who set the school's freshman passing record last season while making eight starts, remains unable to participate with his teammates because he has yet to pass coach Ron Prince's preseason conditioning test, which consists of three 300-yard shuttles.

Freeman has tried and failed twice, the latest attempt coming Saturday.

"I was a lot closer this morning than I was the first day," he said.

Skill-position players and defensive backs are required to complete each of the three shuttles in 50 seconds. Linebackers, fullbacks and tight ends are allowed 55 seconds, while linemen are given 58 seconds.

Oh, if Freeman were only a linebacker.

"I can make the first two," he said. "The last one's the one that's been giving me trouble.

"It's just right at the end, the weight starts kicking."

Yes, this definitely is a weight issue. Freeman said he ballooned to about 265 pounds as recently as a few weeks ago, in part because he spent the summer trying to increase his upper- and lower-body strength.

Although he has shed about 15 to 20 pounds and now weighs between 245 and 249 pounds — the weight he hopes to carry during the season — Freeman admits he erred in neglecting cardio workouts.

"I came in weighing quite a bit more than I usually weigh, and that's no excuse," he said. "I felt like I was in good shape, and obviously the time parameters coach gave me, I wasn't able to step up and do it.

"I'd say once I pass this test, that'll probably be the biggest hurdle for me as far as just getting back in the swing of things."

With less than a month remaining before the Wildcats open the season Sept. 1 at perennial power Auburn, Freeman's practice absence is troublesome. It becomes an even bigger concern considering K-State is trying to work several new receivers and linemen into its offensive plans.

"It's a big deal, and I've made it a big deal," Prince said. "And as you can imagine, I've made it as uncomfortable as I can.

"I'm not just trying to prove a point or be a jerk, but there's a standard and an expectation. It's not just him. I'm not trying to go overboard with it, be a curmudgeon or anything like that, but we have certain standards and we're going to meet 'em. There (are) no exceptions."

Not even for the team's star quarterback, who is receiving plenty of support from his teammates. Freeman said fellow quarterbacks Carson Coffman and Tysyn Hartman even ran Saturday's third shuttle with him in an attempt to push him.

"He'll get it," senior receiver Jordy Nelson said. "It's just a little bump in the road for us."

A bump Freeman is eager to clear.

"Coach tells me all the time it's a mental test, and I'm just working as hard as I can to get this done and be there for my teammates," he said. "I can't really make any excuses. It's either you do it or you don't. I'm just looking to knock this thing out in the near future."