Can the Huskers win the Big 12?

USC is WAY stronger than last year. You will lose that one. You have a chance to win the rest. 11-1, North Champions and the chance for a title in SA. I want the offense to produce more big plays and the defense to be more proactive than reactive. I am TIRED of folks trying to explain how hard the West Coast offense is to learn and that Paul and Gilleyen can't pick it up and neither can Castille... BS! That is the reason Callahan was FIRED by Oakland! His offense was to complicated and he was not a players coach! The USC offense has had several freshmen start almost every year. They had Mike Williams, Steve Smith and Jarrett all start at WRs. They also had Bush, White and Washington play significant roles as FISH on MNC teams. Last year they went 11-2 with a FRESHMAN FS in Taylor Mays and 4 freshmen in the backfield, Gable, Moody, Bradford and Havili. Stop making excuses for this guy. They play read and react defense and they nickel and dime on offfense and telegraph running plays with pre-snap shifts to the point that they have no ground game vs good defenses. Callahan needs to simplify his offense and soup up his defense!

no he got fired because he had players quit on him and because Al Davis is a duschebag.

There is a reason why they quit on him. He made changes to the offense that didn't work and wouldn't go back to the things that Gruden did that made them a Super Bowl caliber team, FYI.

In response to the original statement can we win the Big 12? Yes. With all of the parity in college football, the only game I see as unwinable will be USC. We could win at Texas as easily as we could lose at Lawrence and Boulder. The best team in the conference (OU) doesn't have a qb and lost the best player in the conference from last year (Peterson). Any conference game could be a win, any could be a loss.

Callahan was the Offensive Coordinater for Jon Gruden running the same offense. the players quit on him because they did like the way he would discipline them compared to what they were used to with Gruden.

PoohBear, I for one mostly just read what others have to say on here. I don't tend to speak up much. It really gets old to read all of your negativity! For once, it would be nice to read you say something positive. I don't see why you bother claiming to be a fan. There is a little saying I was taught when I was a kid. It goes a little something like this... If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all! Try it sometime! :angry:

:nanalama:nanalama:nanalama

I don't even know what those things mean.

That means that the person posting those has no intelligent comeback to refute your opinion.

You don't want to start with me junior because we all think the same thing about you!!!! Just check the woodshed!!!!

Between the two of you the negativity is freakin ridiculous. If you want to be negative fans and try and ruin everyone else's hopes go to some other board where your kind is accepted!!!! I disagree with both of you. Obviously you don't know the first thing about football if you think we haven't gotten better!!!! Our recruiting is better and you can't just turn a program around overnight especially when you have recruits that were recruited for one system and then you come out and change it to another system. It's hard to change a team from Option to WCO. Obviously you two don't know that so do us all a favor and just leave!!!! Don't change your opinion either when BC starts winning Championships!!!!!

Why is his version of the WC Offense so hard to pick up as opposed to what they run at SC, where they start freshmen at WR/RB every year?

I've heard people claim that BC's WCO is complicated but I think the man himself may have said one time that it's not really much different than what they run at SC. I'm not convinced that BC's version really is more complicated. There are those who think the WCO is too complicated for college where there is constant built in turnover and the philosophy of the system depends on precision timed passing in traffic and having to check off 5 receivers. It requires a highly skilled QB and receivers with sure hands to run precisely timed routes.

Good question though. I'd like to know what distinguishes BC's version.

Last I checked, Gruden never led the Raiders to the Super Bowl.

No, but Gruden built that team, just like some people on here said that our 99 team was "Osborne's best team that he never coached not to win a championship."

Does this mean that the 2000 Oklahoma Sooners NC team was the best team that John Blake never coached?

Why is his version of the WC Offense so hard to pick up as opposed to what they run at SC, where they start freshmen at WR/RB every year?

I've heard people claim that BC's WCO is complicated but I think the man himself may have said one time that it's not really much different than what they run at SC. I'm not convinced that BC's version really is more complicated. There are those who think the WCO is too complicated for college where there is constant built in turnover and the philosophy of the system depends on precision timed passing in traffic and having to check off 5 receivers. It requires a highly skilled QB and receivers with sure hands to run precisely timed routes.

Good question though. I'd like to know what distinguishes BC's version.

Just a guess here, based on things I've read, but I don't think the base system is different or that much more difficult. I think it's two things:

1. The terminology is much more complex. And the reason for that is, in part, because...

2. Callahan's version has far more "options" of each base play.

Again, I don't know that for a fact, and I could be waaaaaaay off, but the quarterbacks routinely state that the terminology is mind-blowing and that there are so many options that can happen - both pre- and post-snap.

You don't want to start with me junior because we all think the same thing about you!!!! Just check the woodshed!!!!

Between the two of you the negativity is freakin ridiculous. If you want to be negative fans and try and ruin everyone else's hopes go to some other board where your kind is accepted!!!! I disagree with both of you. Obviously you don't know the first thing about football if you think we haven't gotten better!!!! Our recruiting is better and you can't just turn a program around overnight especially when you have recruits that were recruited for one system and then you come out and change it to another system. It's hard to change a team from Option to WCO. Obviously you two don't know that so do us all a favor and just leave!!!! Don't change your opinion either when BC starts winning Championships!!!!!

Lighten up, Frances. God forbid someone has an opinion that's not in line with yours. I can't speak for OPB, but personally, I'm not here to ruin everyone else's hopes. I'm simply stating my opinions, I'm not by any means telling anyone else what to think.

I'll chime in on a few of these threads. I like the discussion.

1) Complicated Callahan

People, I don't know how anyone can be stupid enough to assume that Callahan's offense is too complicated to run. For starters, we've not had the following: a depth at any position which would allow his offense to run at its full potential, a quarterback who is both high-caliber and can throw the deep ball, opening up an entire new theater of the system, or an offensive line that allows the running game to adequately balance out the passing game against tough opponents. Converting an (arguably) option-based running attack to the WCO is like turning a steel mill into a computer factory. Everything has to be replaced and upgraded. The entire philosophy of the game is altered, which makes virtually any recruiting done before Callahan's appearance useless. Building an offense of his style takes time. I'm not making excuses for the man––I have questioned some of his playcalling in the past––but we need to be realistic. I'm not lowering my expectations. I want Nebraska to sh#t-stomp the Condoms next month. But we need to realize that DEPTH is going to be what rebuilds a dynasty. Zac Taylor, may God bless this great kid, is not enough to prove or disprove Callahan's offensive scheme. We need a Gabbert or, Lord willing, a Keller.

2) Differences

This sort of follows the same idea, but about the jargon and the complication again, I personally see only a benefit. I remember reading on another thread that some guys were bitching about how the motion accomplishes nothing. Are you kidding me? It's at its base an illogical thought. If I'm a linebacker waiting for the ball to be snapped, and all of the sudden the opposing QB starts rattling off what seems to me to be frackin' Portugese, and then five guys surge to the inside or scatter to the outside, it is going to cause CONFUSION. That's the whole point. It doesn't matter if 9/10 times we're flipping to a run play––it pulls DBs out of position, forces a sudden reaction on defense which could potentially lead to mismatches. Strategy is my favorite element of football, and from what I've seen, Nebraska's WCO isn't lacking in brilliance or originality, but simple execution and more basic needs in certain key positions. And speaking again about being predictable by audibling a run, since when has Nebraska cared whether or not our opponents know we're driving it right at them? Anyone know what play gets called on 3rd and 3? Damn, I wish I remembered the name, because it was kind of popular there for about...oh...thirty years.

Anyway, the offense isn't apparently that complicated, as Taylor managed quite well. I could be wrong about this, but I don't remember too many delay of game/procedure penalties. And let's not forget, as the years wear on Callahan will adjust his system. If it truly is too complicated in its raw, professional form, then I imagine he'll take appropriate action to make it more accessible. And as we get younger QBs in with more time to learn it, that will help tremendously.

Here's to September 1st, Callahan's wizardry, and Husker Nation.

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground :bonez

USC is WAY stronger than last year. You will lose that one. You have a chance to win the rest. 11-1, North Champions and the chance for a title in SA. I want the offense to produce more big plays and the defense to be more proactive than reactive. I am TIRED of folks trying to explain how hard the West Coast offense is to learn and that Paul and Gilleyen can't pick it up and neither can Castille... BS! That is the reason Callahan was FIRED by Oakland! His offense was to complicated and he was not a players coach! The USC offense has had several freshmen start almost every year. They had Mike Williams, Steve Smith and Jarrett all start at WRs. They also had Bush, White and Washington play significant roles as FISH on MNC teams. Last year they went 11-2 with a FRESHMAN FS in Taylor Mays and 4 freshmen in the backfield, Gable, Moody, Bradford and Havili. Stop making excuses for this guy. They play read and react defense and they nickel and dime on offfense and telegraph running plays with pre-snap shifts to the point that they have no ground game vs good defenses. Callahan needs to simplify his offense and soup up his defense!

Wow, not really sure where to start with this one.

I haven't heard anyone say that the new WR's and RB you pointed out simply can't learn any of the offense, so I am not sure where you are getting that one. Ross had a pretty good handle on it and he was only here for two years.

That's not why Callahan was fired. There are many many things wrong with the Raiders organization to even begin to point to one reason they have that revolving door at HC spinning at full speed.

Yea, tell Rich Gannon the offense is too complicated. I am sure he would agree with you.

Pre-snap shift's don't telegraph the play, not really sure where you would get that. They are a tool to see if the defense will tip it's hand, try to get mismatches, etc. Does it always work? No. Because it doesn't always work do you pitch it? No. If you pitched every play or procedure that didn't work every time you'd have nothing left!

For example, last year how many different plays did the offense run after shifting to the "bunch" formation? (I wish I could draw something in a post, because I would draw it for you) I remember last year I counted no fewer than 3. What does that mean? The exact opposite of your claim. With as many formations and plays to run out of those formations that are available in this offense, it'd be a damn shame if you could call a play with 100% accuracy.

Callahan doesn't run the defense, so you are kind of barking up the wrong tree there. There are changes on defense this year, but who knows if they will be visible to Joe Blow.

Last I checked, Gruden never led the Raiders to the Super Bowl.

No, but Gruden built that team, just like some people on here said that our 99 team was "Osborne's best team that he never coached not to win a championship."

How do you figure that Gruden built that team? People act like Callahan was a dog in the backseat for a ride in the car. Gruden built that offense with Callahan and relied on him and his knowledge. People are quick to point out that Gruden built that Oakland team that Callahan took to the Super Bowl, but neglect to talk about how Gruden has done jack sh#t since winning a Super Bowl with Dungy/Kiffin's defense. Is it possible that Callahan was, dare I say it, crucial to Gruden's success?

Oakland has had 9 different head coaches in the past 20 seasons.

Mike Shannahan 1988

Art Shell 1989-1994

Mike White 1995-1996

Joe Bugel 1997

Jon Gruden 1998-2001

Bill Callahan 2002-2003

Norv Turner 2004-2005

Art Shell 2006

Lane Kiffin 2007-

There is not one other NFL franchise that has had half that amount of coaching turnover. To say that Callahan had nothing to do with building that Super Bowl team and was the cause of it's demise is ignorant.

That 99 team was all Osborne recruited players. The reason that team was so potent was because of the defense and McBride was still the DC. Solich did a good job that season in coaching the players that were there. I will give him credit where credit is due, but that comparison that you made is a reach.

Amen.

How do you figure that Gruden built that team? People act like Callahan was a dog in the backseat for a ride in the car. Gruden built that offense with Callahan and relied on him and his knowledge. People are quick to point out that Gruden built that Oakland team that Callahan took to the Super Bowl, but neglect to talk about how Gruden has done jack sh#t since winning a Super Bowl with Dungy/Kiffin's defense. Is it possible that Callahan was, dare I say it, crucial to Gruden's success?

Oakland has had 9 different head coaches in the past 20 seasons.

Mike Shannahan 1988

Art Shell 1989-1994

Mike White 1995-1996

Joe Bugel 1997

Jon Gruden 1998-2001

Bill Callahan 2002-2003

Norv Turner 2004-2005

Art Shell 2006

Lane Kiffin 2007-

There is not one other NFL franchise that has had half that amount of coaching turnover. To say that Callahan had nothing to do with building that Super Bowl team and was the cause of it's demise is ignorant.

That 99 team was all Osborne recruited players. The reason that team was so potent was because of the defense and McBride was still the DC. Solich did a good job that season in coaching the players that were there. I will give him credit where credit is due, but that comparison that you made is a reach.

:clap

Lighten up, Frances. God forbid someone has an opinion that's not in line with yours. I can't speak for OPB, but personally, I'm not here to ruin everyone else's hopes. I'm simply stating my opinions, I'm not by any means telling anyone else what to think.

Alright........