Can the Huskers win the Big 12?

How do you figure that Gruden built that team? People act like Callahan was a dog in the backseat for a ride in the car. Gruden built that offense with Callahan and relied on him and his knowledge. People are quick to point out that Gruden built that Oakland team that Callahan took to the Super Bowl, but neglect to talk about how Gruden has done jack sh#t since winning a Super Bowl with Dungy/Kiffin's defense. Is it possible that Callahan was, dare I say it, crucial to Gruden's success?

There is not one other NFL franchise that has had half that amount of coaching turnover. To say that Callahan had nothing to do with building that Super Bowl team and was the cause of it's demise is ignorant.

That 99 team was all Osborne recruited players. The reason that team was so potent was because of the defense and McBride was still the DC. Solich did a good job that season in coaching the players that were there. I will give him credit where credit is due, but that comparison that you made is a reach.

Not that this thread needs to continue but some of the credit you give Callahan for his importance to Oakland can be given to Solich and shows his impact on keeping us a top program for 25 years. Did Solich not recruit alot of good players to NU? According to Osborne if it were not for Frank we may never have had Rozier along with many others. Solich did spend about 20 years as a very successful assistant, was Osborne's eye in the both. If you listened to the two of them talk on headsets during games (there is a DVD/tape of the 98 Orange Bowl with them talking strategy) Frank had alot to do with playcalling. I would dare to say that Solich was as crucial to NU's success during that time and that is why Tom wanted to name Frank as his successor.

If you want to compare the coaching ability of Gruden to Callahan just look at that Super Bowl that they coached against each other. I don't know how much Gruden let Callahan do at Oakland while he was head coach but when they went face to face, Gruden was 3 steps ahead of Callahan the entire time.

Not that this thread needs to continue but some of the credit you give Callahan for his importance to Oakland can be given to Solich and shows his impact on keeping us a top program for 25 years. Did Solich not recruit alot of good players to NU? According to Osborne if it were not for Frank we may never have had Rozier along with many others. Solich did spend about 20 years as a very successful assistant, was Osborne's eye in the both. If you listened to the two of them talk on headsets during games (there is a DVD/tape of the 98 Orange Bowl with them talking strategy) Frank had alot to do with playcalling. I would dare to say that Solich was as crucial to NU's success during that time and that is why Tom wanted to name Frank as his successor.

So Tom made a mistake. All is well now so I forgive him. :thumbs

How do you figure that Gruden built that team? People act like Callahan was a dog in the backseat for a ride in the car. Gruden built that offense with Callahan and relied on him and his knowledge. People are quick to point out that Gruden built that Oakland team that Callahan took to the Super Bowl, but neglect to talk about how Gruden has done jack sh#t since winning a Super Bowl with Dungy/Kiffin's defense. Is it possible that Callahan was, dare I say it, crucial to Gruden's success?

There is not one other NFL franchise that has had half that amount of coaching turnover. To say that Callahan had nothing to do with building that Super Bowl team and was the cause of it's demise is ignorant.

That 99 team was all Osborne recruited players. The reason that team was so potent was because of the defense and McBride was still the DC. Solich did a good job that season in coaching the players that were there. I will give him credit where credit is due, but that comparison that you made is a reach.

You made this thread about Callahan's deficiencies, I just threw it right back at you and showed you how wrong you were. Case closed and you know it. I never once said anything about Solich's lack of importance during the golden age of Nebraska football. What you state is true, but was never in question to begin with and is more of a statement than an attempt to debate what I said.

If you want to compare the coaching ability of Gruden to Callahan just look at that Super Bowl that they coached against each other. I don't know how much Gruden let Callahan do at Oakland while he was head coach but when they went face to face, Gruden was 3 steps ahead of Callahan the entire time.

Gruden beat Callahan in their one and only game against each other, so what? I believe your point was that Callahan ruined that team in Oakland and had nothing to do with it being built. What happened in that Super Bowl doesn't prove or disprove what you stated. I think the fact that Gruden has never had an effective offense in Tampa Bay, yet he is a so called "offensive guru" should tell you something about how much he relied on Callahan. If you don't believe me, read the numerous interviews with Gruden where he talks about how much admiration and respect he has for Callahan. Gruden and Callahan became highly successful because they were a team and worked together. I said it before and I will say it again; Callahan was critical to Gruden's success.

I believe we will probably loose to WF, USC, and Texas in the regular season (not blowouts), but beat Texas in the Big 12 Championship.

I bought 6 Big12 tickets a few weeks ago!!

I truly think that Nebraska has a legit chance to win this conference, in response to abopve, as I have stated in previous posts, losses all three of those teams would be unacceptable. In fact, I say that Nebraska has to beat either USC or Texas the first time around (if in fact Texas even goes to the championship game).

I believe we will probably loose to WF, USC, and Texas in the regular season (not blowouts), but beat Texas in the Big 12 Championship.

I truly think that Nebraska has a legit chance to win this conference, in response to abopve, as I have stated in previous posts, losses all three of those teams would be unacceptable. In fact, I say that Nebraska has to beat either USC or Texas the first time around (if in fact Texas even goes to the championship game).

I would agree, I wouldn't be happy with these results as well. However, my philosophy is "expect the worst and hope for the best". I would love to go the distance.

At some point we have to start winning some of these games against highly touted teams. Whether or not WF counts depends on their season. If we beat them and they do poorly the rest of the year it won't mean as much. I think to show progress we need to beat USC and/or UT, drop no more than 1 game we're favored to win, and take the B12 north. Topping that off with winning the B12 would be excellent. If we go 9-5 or 10-4 and loose all the tough ones I won't feel like we've made much progress over last year, and I'll have to fall back to next year and the recruiting for a recharge of hope. We're getting talent and at some point need to put it all together. We do have some ???, but this year would be a fine time to do it. I'm ready!!!

Yes, they can win the Big 12, but I wouldn't say it's any kind of crucial milestone this season. The important thing is to play at a higher level than last year, which means no lapses against KU, OKST, etc. They must go undefeated in the North and beat the cowpokes and ags. I think it is important to compete with USC and TX, not beat them. I think that's all you can really say right now.

It's tough to tell where the team is at this year, so I'm not going to buy into the whole "Callahan needs a signature win" BS right now. Most of those types of questions can wait until mid-September or October. Whether or not they win the CCG is not going to make or break the season, but I think getting there again is important. As long as they stay in the game through the 4th quarter (unlike last year), that will be a sign of MAJOR improvement over last season's game in KC, both for the players and the coaches.

I think a 2 or 3 loss season is the most realistic prediction you can make right now as a Husker fan (which demands at least a little bit of optimism). Some of you people that are saying "6 losses but I"m cheearing for them dudduders!!!?!!" are a little, um...frustrating to listen to. So just grab a beer and wait for September.

I really don't think we are going to lose to WF and that's JMO. They lost some good players and aren't going to be a strong as they were last season. USC and Texas I can see, but if we are going to meet Texas twice I say we lose to them at their house, but take them down in the Big XII Championship game. :thumbs

Last I checked, Gruden never led the Raiders to the Super Bowl.

No, but Gruden built that team, just like some people on here said that our 99 team was "Osborne's best team that he never coached not to win a championship."

Apples and Oranges.

:moreinteresting

:nanalama:nanalama:nanalama

I don't even know what those things mean.

That means that the person posting those has no intelligent comeback to refute your opinion.

You don't want to start with me junior because we all think the same thing about you!!!! Just check the woodshed!!!!

Between the two of you the negativity is freakin ridiculous. If you want to be negative fans and try and ruin everyone else's hopes go to some other board where your kind is accepted!!!! I disagree with both of you. Obviously you don't know the first thing about football if you think we haven't gotten better!!!! Our recruiting is better and you can't just turn a program around overnight especially when you have recruits that were recruited for one system and then you come out and change it to another system. It's hard to change a team from Option to WCO. Obviously you two don't know that so do us all a favor and just leave!!!! Don't change your opinion either when BC starts winning Championships!!!!!

Although I see your point, I don't see why we need to start asking Huskerboard members to leave. No matter how negative or rediculous their postings may be, they are entitled to their opinions...until they cross lines and the Mods deem it so.

UT lost twice in Austin, and were pretty much dominated in both losses. Mack Brown doesn't have VY anymore. His magic man is gone. That guy can recruit, but he isn't the greatest coach. Why do you think he has 1 conference title in nearly 25 years? VY was the MAN! McCoy is a bigger Major, who also never won a Big 12 title. Look at how OU scored 60 plus on those guys with equal talent? Brown is not a great coach! A well coached, healthy NY team, with a great defense, that plays aggressive (Remember McBride's mistake in 1999?) can beat UT twice.