Out of State Husker Fans..?

gin_32

So Cal baby. but I work for a living. :) Heard tell there is 40k+ fans out here both boosters and alumni. I belong to the CFN. They have annual events, picnics, golf tournaments and such. They also raffle off tickets to the home games. I'll be back for the ISU game and it will be my wife's first home game. She thinks all NU fans are just a little bit CRAZY. :rollin

I say the #1 Husker fan club outside of the state isn't in one particular place, but has one thing in common - they wear the military uniform of the United States. Not just on any given Saturday (or Sunday, depending on what weird time zone you are in), but 24/7, 365 they represent the best the state has to offer, and bleed Scarlet and Cream.

After leaving Benkelman HS (now Dundy County-Stratton) and going straight into the Navy, I either formed or joined mini Husker fan clubs in Maryland, West Texas, Cyprus, Spain, Greece, Crete, Scotland, Lebanon, Iraq, and Egypt, and on numerous afloat mini-cities. I remember getting special permission to keep the base club in Spain open late on 1/1/84 to watch Tom go for two and the outright championship. I hated sub duty during football season because we were sooo out of touch, but the weekly "fam-gram" from the wife would always included the last score. Surface ships weren't so bad, and being in communications, I had access to fellow fans ashore who sometimes could pipe the audio to us, or send us semi-current game play updates over different comms systems.

That is how C.R.A.B.S. began in the mid-90s when I relocated to Maryland, and began running into other military folks from Nebraska, and even some who weren't but had been stationed at Offutt and it had all rubbed off on them. We now have over 50 members on our roster. Some are retired and decided to stay in this area, like me; some are still wearing the uniform locally, and some are overseas and on ships worldwide. In today's world of real-time communications, I can send out an announcement about an upcoming game watch party and get a "have a good time" answer back from a member on an aircraft carrier the next day.

So while I envy you in large fan base locations like SoCal, my vote for the largest Husker fan base outside the state goes to our military forces worldwide.

Your from Benkelman, I'm from Wray, CO just down Hwy 34. What time frame were you there.

it's gotta be colorado. it's closest to Nebraska, it's right down the interstate, we own the buffs, i see so much Husker gear out here it's not even funny.

i was working out at my the gym the other day and this really old lady was taking the tour to maybe join. and she came over and talked to me for 25 minutes about being from Nebraska and how she just loves it out here ever since her husband died and she moved to denver because she has met so many people from the Great State, and they're so easy to talk to cuz we all have the Cornhuskers in common. all because i was wearing my red hat with N.

i have lived in Kansas, colorado and am from Nebraska. i lived in chicago for a 1.5 years and travel to NYC in the fall every year. i am also in dallas once a week almost and atlanta quite a bit. (i travel for work) the most Husker fans i see are in Colorado. but that's just my experience.

I don't know much about many other state's fans, but CO is pretty huge. My GF is from CO and we went up to Estes Park last summer and there are 2 strictly Husker stores there. Jesse Kosch actually is the owner of one of them. I would suggest going up there if you have the chance. Jesse will have plenty of Husker football to talk about (mainly about himself). The cool thing about that town is with 2 Huskers shops, they don't even have a strictly Buffs, RAMS, or even BRONCOS store. Thought that was pretty sweet.

I was just at Estes Park 2 weekends ago. They have Husker Haven and Big Red of the Rockies. Picked up a NU shirt for my baby on the way. I've been to the watch site Fox & Hound on game days and it is packed. Usually standing room only. And it isn't a little bar, lots of seating. They have four or five of them throughout the metro area.

Your from Benkelman, I'm from Wray, CO just down Hwy 34. What time frame were you there.

1957 - 1975. We hardly ever played Wray in any sports because you were always about twice the size of us, even when we were a REAL C3 school. Now we're barely hangin' on to being able to play 11-man football, but the addition of Stratton this year will help. In the meantime, our old rivalries - Imperial, Grant, and Cambridge have gotten bigger and bigger and are out of our class now.

You would think there would be more Husker fans here in Iowa, but I don't notice as many as I once did. I see a few here and there, but Arizona and SoCal sounds like they have a lot!!!!

:yeah

Became a Husker fan: At conception, and have been becoming more and more fanatic since.

I'm from Dallas, Texas and was raised by a completely Baylorized family. All of my immediate family bleeds Baylor green and gold. I started becoming a Husker fan when I'd go to the Baylor football games (we've had season tickets since I was born) and NU would come to town...They'd fill half the stadium and had a great fan base...and even with this HUGE fan base, the fans weren't ass-hats like aTm and Texas. It started as a respect thing, but then I started watching NU on TV and it kind of progressed...I became 100% Huskerized when my best friend signed his letter of intent as apart of the '07 class to come to Nebraska to play football. I thought about going to Nebraska before, but kind of dismissed it due to my Baylor roots...When he signed, I thought of it more since we always said we'd go to the same place and be roommates. I figured that NU was cheaper, gave me more freedom, and it was just a great place to be...So now I'm headed to Nebraska in January and I bleed Husker red.

I live in Arizona and the fan following down here is great. I swear it seems like every other car I see here in Tucson has some Huskers memorabilia on it! I know it's the same way in Phoenix too. I don't know if we can compare to the SoCal bunch, but there are a ton here in AZ!

:yeah

My daughter works at Albertson [Grocery store] and last year she ordered a bunch of items with Nebraska stuff on them, set them up in 1 aisle. Her store director asked her why she ordered the stuff and told her it's not going to sell. It was cleaned out in a week. :lol:

GBR!!!

Has to be Cali. There is a huge following out here. Anyone who was at the USuCk game last year, or the Rose Bowl, or the Holiday Bowl a few years back (98?), or the Cal game the same year, or any of the times the Huskers came out here to spank f-UCLA, knows that Husker fans often rival the number of home fans in the crowd. In the case of the Rose and Holiday bowls, the NU fans outnumbered the opposing fans by a considerable margin. I know NU travels well, and many made the trip from Lincoln, but so many of the fans in the stands for those games were locals from right here in Cali. When I was at the USuCk game I got a little tired of hearing the "go back to the farm you hick" remarks from the drunk USuCk fans. They were so embarrassing that I didn't even tell them I am a native Californian. I didn't want to be associated with those lame-ass, drunk a-holes.

One of my favorite memories from one of those games was at the Cal game up in Berkley, when the Cal QB went under center pinned against his own end zone, and the crowd was so loud that he backed out and went to the ref to complain about the noise level. The ref just waved him back to the line of scrimmage. Seems you can't get relief from crowd noise when you are the HOME TEAM. I laughed my a$$ off as the 45,000 Husker fans just got louder.

I was raised by transplants who moved here from Lincoln (the weather out here seems to be one of the big reasons for so many Nebraskans living here) in the 1950's. I have been a Husker fan all my life, and I have two sons who are also Husker fans (still working on the wife dammit).

By the way, the boys names...Jonathan (Johnny the Jet), and Michael (Mike Rozier). Man Law!