Fire Callahan!

I believe everyone else in this thread has done that, over and over. And honestly, why bother? It's been done before, it falls on deaf ears. Not to mention, it's automatically wasted on someone capable of believing anecdotal evidence in college football can be representative of the whole thing.

Instead, I think I'll go waste my time trying out for the NBA. I CAN throw that ball across the court and make it, eyes closed, you know. I am the bestest basketball player ever, obviously. NBA here I come.

Seriously?

OK, please enlighten me as to why evidence suggest Callahan is the right coach for NU. Long term not just to make the Holiday or Cotton Bowl.

What evidence suggests he's not?

This is stupid. You offer nothing as far as what you would do to 'fix' things. You just complain.

Patience my friend. Patience.

Ebyl-This is how you have a light spirited, easy going friendly debate which is what I am trying to do. I make a point, you rebut that point. I show evidence, you bring counter evidence. I am not rambling random anecdotes as you suggest.

I don't understand the anger towards me. I have no ill feeling or will towards anyone. I am bringing up why I think we still have the wrong coach. Please tell me why you believe he can win a championship. He is making us better than we were 3 years ago. That's nice but not good enough. Can we be elite with a coach who only had 2 years coaching experience where he took over an elite team, went to the Super Bowl as an 8 pt favorite only to get outcoached by the previous Raider coach and got smaked by 27. Then he followed up with a 4-12 season. I am still looking for a sign he is the best option.

You are like my father-in-law. Argue just to argue. Offer nothing just argue or discuss as you call it.

I say let the season play itself out. I like Coach Callahan. He has fire, spirit, cares for the players, cares for the University, the fans, the game, no one out works him, he truly cares. Smart football man. Surounds himself with smart football people. Good enough for me. He'll get us there. Promise.

HuskerNCO, see evidence above.

I am excited about tomorrow and the entire season.

But what are the expectations? Everyone says "watch us win 10-11 games" Good I hope we do. I hope we win 14.

BUT WHAT IF WE WIN 8? What are your expectations if that happens?

You are excited about the season? I find that extremely hard to believe.

What if we win 8 is your question? I love my Huskers, win or lose. Will I like it, hell no. Will I call for Coach's head, absolutely not.

This is college football. Crap happens. It is not life and death.

Jeez. We'll win more than 8, not a problem.

It is a new season. I for one am very excited to see our offense light it up. You should be excited too and let this entire tiraid be over with.

I'm going for a beer.

GO BIG RED!!!!!

Oy. Fine, I'll waste a little more of my time.

Callahan took over a program on the downward slide. A program that was being left behind and needed to be modernized. There are a lot of people who point at the win/loss record Solich was putting up and scream, "He was doing well!" They're even somewhat knowledgeable about football. However, they are completely wrong. Solich was incapable of making the changes at Nebraska that needed to be made, not to mention he was a poor recruiter.

People are tired of hearing about Solich. Well, if you're going to talk about the first few years of Callahan's time at Nebraska, it's ignorant to ignore the effect the previous coach and his recruiting successes or failures had.

Callahan had to deal with players that were not recruited into Nebraska to play the system he was trying to implement. As an example of extremes, the main body of players you recruit to play in a spread offense are obviously not going to be the type you recruit to play in a run-based, power offense. Beyond this, Callahan had to deal with players that were, on average, not up to the usual caliber of player we expect at Nebraska. They were just not meant for the type of play Callahan wanted, were outright not as good as we needed, or did not pan out to be as good as expected. And this isn't ALL the players, but taking the average, this is what you find...not a good thing to find at all.

But this isn't a single season problem...you can't just cut all the players that don't fit, or you won't have a team at all. It takes time for your own recruits to come in, time for them to adjust to the college game and get to Div. I playing form. How long? Well, last year we started to see what they could do, and this year we'll see even more of it.

Let's not forget Callahan came in and changed probably one of the greatest legacy programs in college football. Nebraska in a West Coast offense, are you kidding me? This kind of change does not happen overnight and we are seeing that's the case now.

As for the big games, let's look at last year since that is really the first year where we start to see Callahan's efforts come into their own. USC on the road...are you kidding? Yeah right, anyone who honestly believed we had more than a fart's chance in the wind at winning is nuts. Texas at home. We nearly won that game, but in the end we didn't. We certainly showed we could play with them and give ourselves a chance at winning. Okie St...that was a smackdown, and we looked terrible. It does happen to every team, the difference is when you are solid all around, you can win such games even if you're off your game. Consistency like that is not something we had last year, but that aspect has been improving with this team each year since Callahan took over. A good sign. Oklahoma and Auburn...we were competitive, but again, just not consistent enough. Mistakes at key times also hurt us in places.

Is Callahan perfect? Of course not. He is still learning, too, just like the players. He makes some bad decisions and decisions do hurt us sometimes. No coach can claim otherwise.

Are there better coaches for the job out there? Probably. Can we get them? Questionable, at best. Is it wise to ditch a coach that is doing a hell of a job replacing a legacy like the one we had on a questionable snagging of a better coach? Absolutely not. Revolving coaches = program in the toilet.

The team needs to show improvement each year. I can live with an 8 win season IF we continue to show improvement in areas of the team that were sorely lacking last season. The win/loss record is not the end all be all of how to judge a college team in the middle of rebuilding.

Why would this be shut down? We seem to be using the board exactly what it is for.

I will agree to be quiet under 1 condition. Someone please tell me at what point he would be considered the wrong coach and when we can critisize his mistakes? We do pay for the tickets and his salary. I already promised to disappear if we win 10 games. But I will quiet down if you tell me when it is ok to tell him to "take a hike" Specifically please?

i think, you think what you think...ya know? obviously you feel a little 'half-empty' with the way things are going. i will comend you on this--you have put up quite an arguement in the face of a bunch of people who don't agree with you. you have stuck to your guns. non of us are going to convince you to change your mind. this is a pretty 'pro-Husker-half full' web site, however, and i think you aren't going to convince anyone to change their mind who already hasn't.

seems like you are a diehard fan and ultimately want the best for the program. please at least see this one thing--it may, JUST MAY, be too early to tell if it is not working. great for all the other schools who turned it around in 2 years or less. maybe we are going to have another 40 year run, i hope so. Rest assured Bleed Red, if it is not callahan who is right for the job, the people in charge will figure it out and do something about it. UNTIL THEN--let's just cheer and hope for the wins to stack up! that is all from me.

i am going to pray, make love to my wife, kiss my kids goodnite, and be ready for some Big Red Beatdown tomorrow. Go Big Red.

Ebyl- very good points

EXCEPT Brown and Stoops took over the same situation as Callahan. They just do a lot better of executing. Callahan was replacing Solich, not TO.

How long will you except less than a BCS game? I am serious. Maybe I am too hard on BC. So how long do you feel we should give him to make a BCS game?