Fire Callahan!

I disagree that Brown and Stoops took over under the same situations, but I am not going to sit here and argue other football programs with you.

I don't consider the BCS or bowls to be the ultimate goal to judge a new coach by, just as I do not consider records to be that way. Each year, the team needs to keep improving, especially in the places where it is currently weak. The recruits needs to be high caliber and need to usually pan out to be as good as they are hyped to be (this is a sign of a good recruiter, when your recruits actually do pan out to be as good as you expect...can't always happen, but it should be the common theme).

Exceptions happen, of course, when you lose most of a great unit at the end of the year and their replacements take over. You can't always improve, but the setback from the replacements shouldn't be huge and they should continue to show promise of greatness.

If these things continue to happen, you will see Nebraska continue to improve overall and return to being a contender. So far, under Callahan, they have continued to happen each year. Watch the secondary this year...they will be far better than last year's, and that's something we needed to have happen.

The wins come with these things. The above is what really matters...the wins are secondary. Merely a result that gets too much focus during the rebuilding.

Btw, it is possible Callahan is not the coach to win us the next national title. But he shouldn't be changed out while the program is rebuilding unless he takes it down the crapper (then it won't matter). Once the program is fully established again under the new system (probably a couple more years), then you start looking how to gain the national titles. If the team plateau's out, well, Callahan probably isn't the right guy to regain the championship. Now you have an established program with a good recent history and good incoming recruits, so you can start considering finding the coach to take us to the next level.

So imo, 2-3 years more to get the team fully rebuilt and established. Then the national title hunt begins for real, and you should be looking at a few more years to see if the team plateau's out or if Callahan can take the next step.

Drawing hard lines in the sand for college football is futile. Teams rise and fall slightly even when their programs are established. But if you must have a timeline, there you go. Within probably six years we should see if Callahan is capable of claiming the national title. If he's not, well it will probably be time to shop.

I honestly don't know if he'll be able to do it. But right now, he's the guy we need for a while for sure.

Both programs mentioned had talent and most felt with the right coach they would win. Oklahoma was considered a gold mine when Stoops took over. It could be said he has not done as well as he did with Blakes players. In your eyes Stoops is a failure. He has not won the big since?

Another Coach could fit the category. How about Urban Meyers. He turned down his dream job because it did not have the talent for him to win instantly. He went to Florida, not Notre Dame.

You fail to mention Hawkins at Colorado, expected to win instantly.

You fail to mention Prince, who did a pretty good job, but is he the right guy?

Winning the Big 12 is a tough deal. We do not nor have we had the talent to win the Big 12. That is not my oppinion that is the oppinion of every sports writer, and analyist for the last 6 years. And if you listen to every single preview show 95% don't think we have it now.

If you took Nebraska's players and placed them on Oklahoma or Texas, where would they be on the depth chart. Most would not play a down.

When BC took over he did not have a QB that was capable of running either offense. There was not one on the roster. We have had stop gap measures since he got here. This year is no different. The talent of this QB may be the best, but it still does no build consistency.

He has had 3 years, the first one really did not count as far as recruiting. It was a mad scramble to say the least.

He is continuing the accademic standards, is keeping the kids noses clean, moving kids forward to their life careers and putting players in the NFL.

He is as Nebraska as Devaney was when he got here and he reminds me a little of him. I like what I see and I have been around this program for 50 plus years. I will give him a full 6 years, but I really expect to see changes this year closer to what I expect.

I do not expect to return to the mid 90's. Way to hard for a program like Nebraska to do that now. I want a team that plays every game to the best of their ability. I want a clean program that graduates student athletes and develops good young men, that are dedicated and loyal.

Most of the players that have come back to Nebraska and have met BC think he is the right man. Every single player feels that way. They see it on a day to day basis. I trust that his boss feels he is doing a good job and we know his boss is happy with the progress.

It is too early to throw the bath water out. This baby is going to make it.

I don't consider Stoops a failure. He has won 11 games or more 6 out of the last 7years and went to multiple BCS games. That is what I am begging for.

I don't care about Hawkins or Prince. I want Brown and Stoops results. Why does everyone keep bringing up worse programs?

And Urban Meyer chose the Florida job over ND, but it was a better situation. If Florida wasn't available he would have GLADLY taken over ND. He didn't reject them, he chose a better opportunity.

If I don't like it then I will continue to say so. Not "too bad".

I hope I am wrong about BC. I will take my medicine when I am.

This is the worst thread ever. Red, you have successfully got everyone fired up over your original goal of getting Callahan fired. No, you don't hope you are wrong about Callahan. You've spewed so much crap pertaining against that statement, that if you are wrong, you will jet from this board in a heartbeat, then probably re-emerge with another name stating how you love Callahan and his great gameplan. Go take your firing facts and figures somewhere else. The rest of us are pumped and ready for a great season. Maybe you should do yourself a favor and stay down there and watch Carpenter stink it up...I'd rather listen to the blue-hairs telling me to sit down because they can't see the Emergency Personnel down below in case they suffer heat exhaustion than have you behind me screaming for signatures for your 'fire Callahan' campaign.

All I ever hear from Callahan supporters is "Look at our recruits"

Well Ron Zook recruited very well and it took Urban Meyer 2 years to make them champions. It's still about coaching and Callahan has never shown that he can win big games....EVER!

By the way....we should try and get some defense also. My only question is how long will you give Callahan to go to a BCS game?

I'll take this over the crap that frank put on the field any day of the week.

You don't hear how wonderful the recruits are from me. I have saif for a long time we are getting better players, but not the best. He may prove me wrong this year though.

But you have to build interest. There was very little interest in Nebraska after Tom left. Some potential recurits when BC first got here did not even know what offense we ran. Sad situation for sure. The program was going down hill and mostly because of a total lack of effort in recruiting.

Yea we got great this and that, but the question always comes down to, will it get me to the NFL. We fight ESPN and every major mag on that problem. With BC here we have the opportunity to say we can prepare you for the NFL.

The question I have for you, if you got your way, who would you replace BC with. No one wanted to come here the last time, because of Pederson some say, but some say because of the unrealistic fans. Ring a bell.

BC fell in our laps, not my first choice by any means. Not even on the radar. But he has done what he said he would do.

WE just do not need this trash right now. The games are on tomorrow/today. He needs all the support we can give him and the kids. This is just the wrong time period.

We teach loyalty and dedication. Now is the time for you to show yours.

Why would this be shut down? We seem to be using the board exactly what it is for.

...Someone please tell me at what point he would be considered the wrong coach and when we can critisize his mistakes? We do pay for the tickets and his salary. I already promised to disappear if we win 10 games. But I will quiet down if you tell me when it is ok to tell him to "take a hike" Specifically please?

I don't consider Stoops a failure. He has won 11 games or more 6 out of the last 7years and went to multiple BCS games. That is what I am begging for... I want Brown and Stoops results...

The results were nice, but I guess I'd draw the line at becoming known as "Thug U" by outsiders.

Stoops appears to be much better than Switzer, but I still wouldn't want him here...I even feel a little concerned for the local ASU fans having Dennis Ericson now..He'll probably win soon, but I'm expecting probation in about 4 years.

Personally, I wanted Norm Chow at UNL..but..One thing you can say about Cally..At least he's not Houston Nutt.

Welcome to the board, I hope you stick it out to help thin out some of the koolaid :box and hopefully, we can catch a game out here at a Husker bar one of these Saturdays.

And MODS..Thanks for NOT closing this thread..Some of what 'Skers and Elby wrote was mighty inspiring. :cheers

And Elby..I always loved the full court shot (~50%)..I just couldn't hit anything under 20'

I Bleed Red - stop it. Just shut up. And that goes for anyone else here on the board that has to respond back. Regardless if you have a response or not. Who cares. Y'all need to stop falling for the questions. Dont hit reply. Kill this. It's not March or April anymore. Just enjoy the game b!tch. Damn.

I Bleed Red - stop it. Just shut up. And that goes for anyone else here on the board that has to respond back. Regardless if you have a response or not. Who cares. Y'all need to stop falling for the questions. Dont hit reply. Kill this. It's not March or April anymore. Just enjoy the game b!tch. Damn.

Hey..You're not my Wife..Stop being so Bossy.

I hope I am wrong about BC. I will take my medicine when I am

Dont you mean IF you are.

And by the way. You are walking a fine line between trying to express a point and pushimg it too far(flaming)

Try to actually debate with folks instead of just throwing up random thoughts.

We do encourage all opinions. The problem is we got your point about 20 posts ago.

So lets move on and actually talk about ANYTHING else because this subject is OLD.