Signature win

I think people forget what a 'signature' win does.

A 'signature' win is like what Miami did to us in '83 to catapult themselves onto the national scene. But with that, you have to be able to maintain that as well.

Does Appy State's win over Michigan count as a 'signature' win, even though they lost to Wofford just a few weeks later?

It's fine if you can upset the big boys, but if it doesn't do anything to move your program forward, then it basically means nothing.

True....and we still don't have one.

and how long did it take Osborne to get the "Signature Win"

A 'signature' win is like what Miami did to us in '83 to catapult themselves onto the national scene. But with that, you have to be able to maintain that as well.

Does Appy State's win over Michigan count as a 'signature' win, even though they lost to Wofford just a few weeks later?

It's fine if you can upset the big boys, but if it doesn't do anything to move your program forward, then it basically means nothing.

True. Sounds like we're all in agreement on that. I think we all want the Huskers to be among the elite, not just a big win here and there, or seasons characterized by loosing to almost every ranked team we play, even if it's a fair number of wins. Some think it will never happen under Callahan. I think the jury is still out.

He was coach after a national championship, he didn't need one to define and build his program....also, nice example. Back when dynasties were the norm and the point was there is parity now and it's easier to get a big win. Not only is your example WAY outdated but it is irrelevant to the topic.

Good freaking gawd, that's a cop-out and you know it. Is that all you apologists can up with anymore?

Missouri will be top 20 after this week

would that be a signature win? If Texas loses to K-State that game will lose its luster.

LOL. No. Mizzou will not be a signature win.

A signature win should be a win over a top-10, perhaps top-5 team. There's nobody like that left on our schedule, unless OU wins out and we meet them in the Big 12 Championship.

Crap. Now that I really think about it, BC is likely going to have to wait until his 5th year to get a signature win. Not good.

his first game, when they rolled UCLA 40-13!

his first game, when they rolled UCLA 40-13!

I think that osborne had some signature wins early on, but I think the 83 *loss* to Miami was a signature loss. I mean, look at this guy. He could have tied and mathematically won the championship, but he decided to go balls out and try to take the win. That set the attitude of his reign-- we want it all, we're not playing safe, take your safe play and shove it. :)

would that be a signature win? If Texas loses to K-State that game will lose its luster.

NO.

And the idea "nobody sleeps on nebraska" is also a joke

Is it?

Looks like both OU and Texas were looking to the Red River shoot out and didn't focus on the game at hand.

I do agree that Hawk and Prince have gotten the signature wins Cally hasn't. Not sure what I think about it.....oh wait, I think we should fire him. That would fix it.

Sleeping on KState? Maybe last year, and they kind of won in a fluke situation. However, this year KState rolled Texas which was #7 in the country. I highly doubt Texass was overlooking the Wildcats this year as they lost to them last year. Of the 3 games I've watched that everyone is calling signature wins, they all occurred because of one thing: turnovers. Last night, West Virginia lost because they coughed the ball up 6 times. I don't care if we're playing Nevada because we'll lose giving up that many TO's. Texass coughed up the ball. OU coughed up the ball. This is why it's so hard to win with a young QB. OU probably doesn't play for the whole bag of marbles for two more years, but then look out.

CU looked impressive. They won the game because A) Hawkins is an excellent coach B) they had some luck with the turnovers. If anyone on here even mutters the words more talent when comparing CU to OU, well they should simply be tarred and feathered. If anything we've seen this weekend, it points that excellent coaching does outshine talent. This is the reason we do not have a signature win!

NO.

And the idea "nobody sleeps on nebraska" is also a joke

Is it?

Looks like both OU and Texas were looking to the Red River shoot out and didn't focus on the game at hand.

I do agree that Hawk and Prince have gotten the signature wins Cally hasn't. Not sure what I think about it.....oh wait, I think we should fire him. That would fix it.

Sleeping on KState? Maybe last year, and they kind of won in a fluke situation. However, this year KState rolled Texas which was #7 in the country. I highly doubt Texass was overlooking the Wildcats this year as they lost to them last year. Of the 3 games I've watched that everyone is calling signature wins, they all occurred because of one thing: turnovers. Last night, West Virginia lost because they coughed the ball up 6 times. I don't care if we're playing Nevada because we'll lose giving up that many TO's. Texass coughed up the ball. OU coughed up the ball. This is why it's so hard to win with a young QB. OU probably doesn't play for the whole bag of marbles for two more years, but then look out.

CU looked impressive. They won the game because A) Hawkins is an excellent coach B) they had some luck with the turnovers. If anyone on here even mutters the words more talent when comparing CU to OU, well they should simply be tarred and feathered. If anything we've seen this weekend, it points that excellent coaching does outshine talent. This is the reason we do not have a signature win!

Yeah, the CU/OU game looks more flukeish/past-looking than the Texas/KSU thrashing. You look past, you go in soft, get knocked back on your heels, struggle to recover, and then win/lose a close one. KSU handed it to Texas... 20 points isn't an "oops!" I hope that Texas and OU both did deserve their rankings and that the north is just that strong. Man, that would make me happy. Even if NU ends up having to take some tough games of their own, it would be worth it to be in a strong conference again! I got sick of the Big 12 North jokes on national radio last year!

Yeah, the CU/OU game looks more flukeish/past-looking than the Texas/KSU thrashing. You look past, you go in soft, get knocked back on your heels, struggle to recover, and then win/lose a close one. KSU handed it to Texas... 20 points isn't an "oops!" I hope that Texas and OU both did deserve their rankings and that the north is just that strong. Man, that would make me happy. Even if NU ends up having to take some tough games of their own, it would be worth it to be in a strong conference again! I got sick of the Big 12 North jokes on national radio last year!

Yeah, I have to agree the "looking past" excuse could fly for OU, but not Texas. Heck that's quickly becoming the road game I'm least worried about, whoda thunk that. It's definitely looking like the North is going take a step back towards credibility this year.

I think that beating Mizzou would be a signature win for this season, but not for the Callahan era. IF we can somehow beat Mizzou, then I think we will be on our way to a 10-2 or 9-3 season. If Mizzou smacks us, then we might be fighting to become bowl eligible for the rest of the season.

I must admit that watching Prince and Hawkins win signature games today has increased my anxiety for NU to finally win a "big" one. Husker Nation is dying to see NU make a statement that they're heading in the right direction. The Big 12 North is totally up for grabs....there are four teams that are fighting to emerge from the pack. If NU cannot take the next step, then it's going to be a gloomy future when you see the likes of K-Sucks and sCUm rapidly improving.

You know what really pisses me off though was watching the USC vs. Washington game. We had our chance against USC being a signature win, but we weren't even close to being prepared. Washington had its sh#t together and played them damn tough on their home field. It seems like every time a signature win could be looming, we enter the game scared to death and unprepared.