Huskers Need a New Coach

everyone's talent is better today. coaching is more important than it ever was.

Hunter, you couldn't be more right...

I still believe in Cally.

But part of my perspective about Coz comes from this weekend. The players finally played with heart, tackled well, etc....and still looked suspect. Is it talent or scheme? I believe it is both. Seriously, does NU need 6 QB's on scholarship and 6 RB's on scholarship? That's why NU is struggling on Defense...not enough depth on the D side of the ball, because we have too many players on scholarship who will never play on offense.

Oh, yeah...and Coz sucks.

well, it is hard to argue with that logic Indy. you have to recruit on both sides of the ball, that's for sure.

I have said since day one, recruiting is what Nebraska needs. We are finally getting there. But we are not there yet.

I have said numerous times we are better, but we are not getting the premier athletes yet.

We had one top 5 class and most of it has left. Reality.

Lucky was recrutied by SC, but not as heavily as Nebraska.

Suh is top 50. SC has three or four that are top 10.

Purify is a Juco. There are reasons.

The talent is not there guys. All you have to do it take off the rose colored glasses and you see it.

All the ones saying we have the talent to win are the ones saying the coaching is bad. Same old circle.

Now recruiting rankings mean something, before they meant nothing. You can not have it both ways.

We are not getting the top athletes that the other programs are. Maybe this year, but the past has been we take what we can get. Do you think if we had gotten Devine, or Maleluga (SC) or Reggie Smith things would be a little different. We took what we could get, better than normal, but not on par with the top programs.

If you think two(?) top ten classes compares to Oklahoma's, Texas's, USC's, LSU's, Florida's and a host of others last 6 then you do not see the forest for the trees.

USF has talent and has had for a couple of years. Talent is speed. They have it period. Speed is what is lacking on our team.

And we are 4-1. There are a lot of the teams mentioned above that are 4-1. Parity is here. We have to learn to deal with it. I think BC can, but it takes time.

And it certainly does not help with every anti Callahan poster screaming the sky is falling on every friggen post. It is a frippen game. Not life or death.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here so please don't take it that way, but we had enough of these threads after the USC game leading up to the Ball State game and then after the Ball State game. They just finally ended................... :hmmph

<_< Have a feeling they will be back enforce after the game this coming Saturday.

Hopefully you are wrong or I may have to take a break from the board for awhile.

But you are so close to TWELVE THOUSAND posts! :)

I still have faith in Coach Callahan and think the team is turning the corner.

I have said since day one, recruiting is what Nebraska needs. We are finally getting there. But we are not there yet.

I have said numerous times we are better, but we are not getting the premier athletes yet.

We had one top 5 class and most of it has left. Reality.

Lucky was recrutied by SC, but not as heavily as Nebraska.

Suh is top 50. SC has three or four that are top 10.

Purify is a Juco. There are reasons.

The talent is not there guys. All you have to do it take off the rose colored glasses and you see it.

All the ones saying we have the talent to win are the ones saying the coaching is bad. Same old circle.

Now recruiting rankings mean something, before they meant nothing. You can not have it both ways.

We are not getting the top athletes that the other programs are. Maybe this year, but the past has been we take what we can get. Do you think if we had gotten Devine, or Maleluga (SC) or Reggie Smith things would be a little different. We took what we could get, better than normal, but not on par with the top programs.

If you think two(?) top ten classes compares to Oklahoma's, Texas's, USC's, LSU's, Florida's and a host of others last 6 then you do not see the forest for the trees.

USF has talent and has had for a couple of years. Talent is speed. They have it period. Speed is what is lacking on our team.

And we are 4-1. There are a lot of the teams mentioned above that are 4-1. Parity is here. We have to learn to deal with it. I think BC can, but it takes time.

And it certainly does not help with every anti Callahan poster screaming the sky is falling on every friggen post. It is a frippen game. Not life or death.

If USC is so loaded as you claim, then why exactly did they have to start a true freshman at center against us? If USC is so loaded as you claim, then why was their 4th string CB playing against Washington? No matter how you spin it, they have the same amount of schollies as we do. USC has had quite a few injuries. This is why a true freshman was starting and why a 4th stringer was playing against Washington. Does USC have more 5 star recruits? Yes they do. Do they have more schollies than we do? No.

I don't know about USC's recruiting process, but I'm going to assume that they don't recruit as heavily on any recruit as Nebraska does quite simply because they don't have to. I'm guessing they don't have to tell a QB recruit that they're not going to recruit another QB that year like BC did Harrison Beck. No matter how you slice it, teams like NU have to recruit harder than USC; Florida; Texas; Cal; etc. because we just don't have the talent in state like they do.

Does NU have talent? Yes. Do we have more talent than most/all Big 12 North teams? IMO, yes we do. Do we have more talent than USF? YES!!!!!!!

The talent issue is becoming very tired. In your first post you stated we didn't have ONE SINGLE PLAYER that would start for a top 10 team. Now you're backpeddaling. Keller would start for a top 10 team. Lucky would start for a top 10 team. Suh, could start for a top 10 team. We have a hand full of players on our team that could/would start for top 10 teams. We don't have the depth of other teams, but just read some of the posts above. The reason for depth issues stems from 6 RB's and 6 QB's on schollie. We have depth at some positions but lack depth at others because we seem to load up at single positions rather than spreading the schollies around.

What I learned reading these post is the following.

1. Nebraska has good players
    2. Nebraska players stink
    3. Coaching is terrible
    4. Coaching isn't the problem and if it was it doesn't mater cause TO was bad in the 70's
    5. It's the fans ( they expect to much)
    6. It's the fans (they expect to little)
    7. It's the fans they should be traded
    8. No one cares to see Nebraska on tv anymore (oops didn't learn that on here just heard it on the radio)

IN summary GO BIG RED :ahhhhhhhh

What I learned reading these post is the following.

1. Nebraska has good players
    2. Nebraska players stink
    3. Coaching is terrible
    4. Coaching isn't the problem and if it was it doesn't mater cause TO was bad in the 70's
    5. It's the fans ( they expect to much)
    6. It's the fans (they expect to little)
    7. It's the fans they should be traded
    8. No one cares to see Nebraska on tv anymore (oops didn't learn that on here just heard it on the radio)

IN summary GO BIG RED :ahhhhhhhh

You need to add the following to your list:

Nebraska has good players (Purify), but the coaches seem to forget and leave them on the bench.

We were talking recruiting. I do not consider Keller in the same situation as the others.

I will admit Keller could start at pretty much any program

Lucky, I sincerly doubt he would start at any top ten program. There are many backs out there that have talent in spades over him. Suh possibly but who knows. Bowman is another exception.

Look at it this way.

A lot of top programs have lost to unranked supposed cellar dwellers this year. We have lost to the Number one team in the country. Should Stoops be fired? Should Meyer be fired? Rodriguez? Weis, oops joking on that one.

We have adequate talent to do the job. WE are not superior to a lot of teams and that includes some you don't want to hear I am sure.

Parity is here guys, and we are one of the last ones to realize it. And a statement was made that it does take coaching more so than ever before because so many have close to or equal to talent.

I want to see this years class hit the field, before I would be ready to give up on BC.

Trust me I am not back pedaling on our talent level. Still feel the same. We are a second tier talent level team at this time. No better than most in the North.

Please somebody answer me this 1 very critical question:

If Solich ran the program into the ground and couldn't recruit talent how was he able to win 10 games and Cally best season he won 9 but lost 5?

I don't think Solich should be our coach nor am I saying he is better than Callahan for NU

BUT This proves that if Solich's talent is worse than Cally's and the BIG 12 is worse now and KSU and CU are worse than they were 5 years ago when Solich coached then why are we losing so many games???? COACHING!!!!!!!

In honesty they are pretty much the same as far as record goes.

Anytime we run into talent we seem to fold.

But games against Michigan, Auburn and Texas last year indicated we were closer to competing with upper echelon teams.

This year maybe not so much.

I think it is a line problem on both sides of the ball. Whether it be coaching or athletic ability is not for me to say. But I have seen many of our players just blown off the ball on both sides. Is it depth, most likely not as it happens early in the games. Strenght and technique could be the problem, but all of starts with the lines.

But if everything they hear, everything they see is negative it can not help. This team knows what a lot of the fans think, don't kid yourself. They do not live in a vaccum. TV, school paper, internet, friends, trust me they know exactly what is being said about them.

In all my coaching experience, negativety never did a bit of good. I have fought parents over it for years. Positive strokes make things better and give confidence, negativety closes the ears and nothing gets in.

In honesty they are pretty much the same as far as record goes.

Are you saying their records are similar between Solich and Cally?

No they aren't even close?

75% winning % Solich

59% winning % Callahan

And it might reach 62% after this season if he can win 9 games (which I really hope we do, think we can)