What did you all think before the season started???

This was supposed to be THE SEASON. Where all the parts came together and showed Husker Nation what the scientists of Steve Pederson and Bill Callahan were working towards.

Well...I guess in a way...it is still THE SEASON. All the parts came together and showed that the program is in total shambles. And it shows that Stevie-P and Billy-C have been working towards taking the team right back to a losing season as it started with.

Before the season started, I thought we'd lose to USC and Texas in the regular season. Then, I thought we'd lose the Big 12 Championship against Texass or OU. Then I thought we'd go to a bowl game with a toss up win or loss. Worst case was 4 loss season. Best case was a 3 loss season. I thought the USC game would be a hard fought game, but we'd end up losing it in the 4th. I thought the same with Texas.

After the Ball State game, my outlook on the season was drastically changed. However, I must state that after the Nevada game I was cautiously optimistic against USC and Texass. I've never been a Booty fan, so I thought there was a 25% chance we'd win the USC game. Mack Brown is a clown, so I was optimistic we might squeak by them as well. Never in my wildest dreams until the Ball State game did I think the season would turn out as horrible as it has.

However, I never would have guessed that KU would be in the top 10 at any time during the 07' season. I guess this is why they play the games. Who knows, Clownahan might still squeak us into a bowl game. I've got 100 bucks that says we won't win another game except maybe against CU, but who knows?

I apologize if I come across being overly analytical or negative or taking sides. Just curious as to what people think about other teams who have not lived up to expectations this year either. I think we all know it has been pretty crazy in all of college football. I am enjoying it in some respects because there is some competition out there now. Gone are the days of a few teams rolling over everyone they play. Glad to see some exciting games and never knowing who might come out on top.

Still doesn't account for our disappointing year by any means.

I think it is pretty clear that teams with solid fundamentals will win every time. TAMU brough in a playbook that could have fit on a few sticky notes and used it the entire game and guess what....it worked. They executed it on all levels from the line of scrimmage blocking, to open field blocking and on down the line.

I don't know if anyone truly saw this coming. I am sure some toolbags out there will say "SEE I TOLD YOU!!" but really?

yah, i just chalked it up to bitter cally haters.

I just can't know how we go from last year to this year in terms of team chemistry and intensity.

and that's what gets me most, too. the team just tanked, pure and simple. heck, i thought they looked good after the nevada game. after that, it was it was all downhill after that.

There was great reason to be optimistic when the season started. Lots of pieces came back, lots of studs to plug the gaps left by the guys that moved on after last year. I thought Keller would do better than he has, I thought the receivers wouldn't drop so many stinking passes. I thought the defense would be able to tackle. They even looked good against Nevada, flying to the ball and hitting. Cosgrove had some new defenses to throw and give different looks. I honestly had no idea that a season like this could be possible with all the talent in place. It's been a disappointment so far, to say the least.

I personally thought the team was moving forward at a very slow pace. The talent is getting better and the opourtunity was there. I had no idea the coaches would stick there heads in a hole like an osterage. ( the hell with the spelling ) I had been defending these guys and I for one have been SHOCKED!

At the beginning of the year I remember saying I think we would have the potential to win the overall B12 title, and for sure get the B12 North. I thought we would beat Texas or USC but not both. I thought Keller would have more opportunities (man Callahan's offense is just stifiling). I thought Lucky would prove to be average at best. I thought we'd finish in the top 15-17 and see a lot of growth from our youth during games we should win easily. I thought for sure with the senior depth at LB and DB our defense would be MUCH better than last year even though our front 4 were mostly untested.

Most of all I felt like I wanted to see us win the games we should and not have any 2nd half meltdowns like last year. Basically beat the 2nd and 3rd tier teams more easily and be super competitive against top 10.

I feel most ambushed by Cosgrove. Man that can flat out NOT coach. Secondly, after half way through year 4 of Callahan i realize that his system is way way too complicated and is full of needless over calculating. His X's and O's game plan may rival Eisenhower's, but he cannot motivate a fly to sh#t. Sometimes you have to man up and just flat out kick people's asses. He would rather out-scheme them. which, in college doesn't work hardly.

I feel really really bad for the players and I feel really let down and disappointed that Cally refuses to make changes. Both in the offices (firing , hiring, gameplan) and on and during the game (play calling, motivating).

I thought we'd go 11-3 at best and 9-5 at worst.

I thought Nebraska offense would struggle against good teams an be non-exisistant agiainst great teams. I thought they would go 8-4 since no one in the north was any good last year.

What I did'nt see coming was a defense that allowed holes that would make past Husker all americans offensive linemen look at with envy.

Nor did i see defense that could'nt make a sack to save their life.

The coaches, players, and announcers were pumping up the NU team as if they were going to be a force in the Big 12. I read and heard all of the interviews before the season started and felt like we might have a fairly good team this year...but I was thinking, "I will believe it when I see it," but I was very optimistic and excited to see when NU could do this year.

If you think about it, there is no reason why we (the fans) would think that NU would be doing this bad. Our offense seemed to do fairly good at moving the ball and putting points up on the board last year (I guess that's the difference between Taylor and Keller). It also appeared that while our defense was not wonderful last year, it definitely wasn't too bad. I figured they would improve on the negatives last year and become even better this year.

I was wrong. The offense doesn't seem like they can get anything going, and when they do, they somehow always manage not to convert in the end. They aren't even using the right freakin' players to optimize the offense's performance. The "defense" has completely crumbled, and we are lucky if we keep the opponent's offense to under 450 yards per game.

Horrible practices, horrible coaching, horrible play calling, horrible strategies. That pretty much sums up NU's year.

We had a lengthy thread about this, maybe a few weeks before season started. I saw the Huskers losing 6 games. Took some ribbing from some good people, no biggie. It was clear to me this was a crucial, sink or swim year for Cally & Co. I thought the D-line would be better than what we see each week. I thought the LBs were not quick but experienced. They've been dissappointing big time. I thought the secondary was soft spot, but they've been good on coverage suprisingly. I didnt like the fact that we didnt have depth at RB, b/c of injuries and freshman rarely play here. I was hopeful about Keller, but never saw him play before so it was a question mark. The O-line seemed fine, nothing great but nothing terrible. I liked the WRs, and they've been alright. I looked around at the conference and teams looked like they were improving, didnt see that with confidence on the NU side. I didnt see this staff polished as most did. And that bothered me. I am very dissappointed in this year. I didnt want to go through this. Just b/c I saw a bad year happening, doesnt mean I dont pick us to win or root to win every week. I dislike the "I told you so" types and I dont start websites to slam the coaches. I'm not abandoning this team one bit.

Edit:

I also want to point out, that I do not get the coverage like most good people on this board do. So I do not get to see the players interviewed on sports night, or get to know them, or hear non-stop Husker talk on the radio. I only see what's on the field each saturday from my QB chair. And that's what I go by.

I thought if we were lucky we would have 9 wins but probably finish 8-4 and not win the BIG 12 north. I thought Mizzou would win the north and KS would finish tied for 2nd with us. I never expected much more than mediocrity with Cally as our coach. Well, I was wrong....we are plain awful and it is 100% Cally's fault.

My signature has been the same all year, I haven't changed my opinion at all.