Effort

Apathy

We played our hearts...out...probably would have had a chance at the end of we tackle charles at end of game and on 3rd down. But Callahan got 2 conservative....There is two plays I look back on...On 3rd and 10 when we were up 17-3...we had purify run an out route for 12 yards and he was pretty much open...and he dropped it...if he catches it we take control of game...and they should have had 2nd and 11 before that challenge...i no they ended up getting the 1st down, but they would have called a different play...because it went from 2nd and 11 to 1st and 10...then after the int on our part....we dint do anything and we were at texas's 40.....2 conservative....we earned some respect back...this texas team is a good team and we played our hearts out...but we couldnt beat a team with a pocket passer...so what makes you think we'll beat kansas with the spread and kansas state with josh freeman....ALL COACHES MUST BE FIRED!

GUYS, let's not complain. I'm heartbroken, as are many of you, but we did an OUTSTANDING job out there today. And I mean everyone on the team, even the coaches that we have been vilifying. You can pick anything apart you want, but the fact is we went into a road game, 21-point underdogs and in full-season-collapse mode, and played a HECK of a game. We did everything right today. Except win.

The Longhorns spent three quarters trying to pass against one of the worst rush defenses in the country and Nebraska (4-5, 1-4) led 17-9 to start the fourth behind two touchdown passes from Sam Keller to Nate Swift.

Then Texas started using the zone-read option and the running game quickly started piling up yards and points. Three running plays covered 75 yards on Texas' first touchdown drive and Charles' second TD gave Texas its first lead since the first quarter.

Charles broke free for touchdown runs of 25, 86 and 40 yards in the fourth quarter. His last touchdown gave Texas a 28-17 lead. His rushing total was the fourth highest in Texas history and the 'Horns finished with 364 yards rushing.

Texas went to its running game almost by chance and a hard hit on quarterback Colt McCoy.

McCoy was shaken up when he scrambled outside the pocket and the Longhorns were forced to use freshman John Chiles. His one play, a zone-read handoff to Charles, produced 24 yards and suddenly Texas had figured out how to beat a Cornhuskers' team that had been steamrolled on the ground in recent weeks.

Texas understandably has gotten away from using that offense with McCoy who's not the same running threat Young was. Texas seemed to have paid little attention to how teams have been battering the Nebraska defense on the ground this season. The Longhorns had more pass attempts (18) than rushes (17) in the first half and managed only one field goal.

Was this more Texas coaches not figuring out what they should have been running the first three quarters then Nebraska defense getting better? Texas fans should be worried about the coaching they have.

Callahan sat on the lead until it was gone. What happened to the offense that took what they wanted?

We played fantastic up until the beginning of the third quarter after we got that TD. It was then that our defense gave up some big plays and our offense couldn't get anything done for awhile. Man it really sucks because I let myself get excited about the fact that we were going to beat Texas for once! Dammit! :bang

I think they played 100% better than what they have the last 3 weeks.

They played with heart and emotion. They weren't cocky, it was pound football. Granted it got away in the third quarter but at least they showed up today. Some of you, I swear could get a million dollars tax free and you'd complain about having to go pick it up.

Isn't the definition of mediocrity being satisfied with "barely" losing? Maybe I'm a bad fan but I will not be happy with a 4-5 season!

exactly. all this sunshine and lollipops crap that we played a good game and keep our chins up is the mating call of the loser. KSU rolled these guys a couple of weeks ago. they aren't that good.

I said the Huskers wouldn't get within two touchdowns the rest of this season. The players gave an inspired effort today and I have to eat my words. I know people say we still lost, but, if the team can give this type of effort the rest of the season, win or lose, I am willing to give at least part of the coaching staff a chance (however, they still did rush for over 300 yards on us, so maybe someone needs to go).

Did we do something drastically different this off-season in strength and conditioning? When you have to put 9 in the box all day long to stop the run, something tells me there is something devastatingly wrong with our front four. But it was the best game plan - we just got tired, then got burnt at the end.

Not to burst your bubble, but they did lose a 17-3 lead. How you could think that is going in the right direction is beyond me.

It is going in a better direction than the last 3 weeks is all - at least they had a 17 - 3 lead on the road.

It isn't enough, but it's better than anything we've seen for a good long while. On the one hand, this was even worse because I actually started to believe again for a while. But in the long run, I'll gladly take real effort and my team playing like they have a pair over the fiasco we've seen lately.

I'll gladly give the *players* credit for playing a real game and for fighting until the end. Unlike the Huskers of old, they lost again, but just like the old Huskers, they didn't give up.

agree.

Even though today was a loss, its one of the best games the Huskers have played all year..... and against a quality opponent.

quality opponent? these guys got rolled by KSU at home.

Your definition of a quality opponent? Top 20? Top 10? Undefeated? I will say it again...Texas is a quality opponent. They are in the Top 20 with great talent on the team. Yes, they have struggled this year but that by no means makes them a bad team.

I was impressed with the D through the first three quarters, but we didn't "adjust to Texas's adjustments" in the 4th quarter. How do you give up over 200 yrds rushing to one guy in one quarter? :bang

Swift was awesome, congrats to him and also Joe Ganz for coming in and finishing the scoring drive, he had a pretty toss to Mo for that TD. If Keller is out for the year(like some other posts have mentioned), I am now confident that JG can run the offense.

I did see fire coming out of Cally in the first half when he was blasting the officials for that official review, he was pissed that they let the following play run(we had them for a loss). I think Cally is a decent coach, the guy is human just like the rest of us, but he may not be a perfect fit for the Huskers.

GBR

I'm glad you guys are satisfied with losses. What a defeatist attitude...."At least we didn't get blown out"

Think the teams in the 90's would have been satisfied losing 5 games (in a year)? Let's put this in perspective, we LOST! :bang

I would much rather lose this way than lose by 30 freakin points! I actually saw some physicality out of our guys today. Our defense actually played with some fire. I'll take steps in the right direction any way I can get them right now.

It isn't enough, but it's better than anything we've seen for a good long while. On the one hand, this was even worse because I actually started to believe again for a while. But in the long run, I'll gladly take real effort and my team playing like they have a pair over the fiasco we've seen lately.

I'll gladly give the *players* credit for playing a real game and for fighting until the end. Unlike the Huskers of old, they lost again, but just like the old Huskers, they didn't give up.

agree.

:yeah

I said the Huskers wouldn't get within two touchdowns the rest of this season. The players gave an inspired effort today and I have to eat my words. I know people say we still lost, but, if the team can give this type of effort the rest of the season, win or lose, I am willing to give at least part of the coaching staff a chance (however, they still did rush for over 300 yards on us, so maybe someone needs to go).

Did we do something drastically different this off-season in strength and conditioning? When you have to put 9 in the box all day long to stop the run, something tells me there is something devastatingly wrong with our front four. But it was the best game plan - we just got tired, then got burnt at the end.

Maybe our coaching staff could take a lesson from you and admit mistakes/take responsibility for something and then actually fix it.