If the offense were to change...

cmb23

Obviously everything is up in the air right now going into next season. However, as I look at what gains/losses the team has made offensively and looking at the rest of the nation right now I see what I (personally) would like.

No...I'm not pining for Eric Crouch or Tommie Frazier. However I think the day of the drop-back QB...at the college level...is no longer. I don't want 'The Option'...but give me a stud athlete at QB that can run, move, create and throw the ball a little.

Case in point. I watched the West Virginia and Lousiville game last night. Pat White. He did have a couple of costly turnovers. However when it came to crunch time, he wanted the ball in his hands. Running for first downs, throwing darts for quick outs, moving the chains and the clock. Capped it off with a 50-yard TD run that he looked like a video game player out there.

I know that a lot of these guys are needles in haystacks, but I think it is the way to go.

Pat White at WVU

Stephen McGee at A&M

Tim Tebow at Florida

Dennis Dixon at Oregon

Hell....even...

Colt McCoy at Texas

Chase Daniel at Missouri

They are all able to create and threaten a defense either way. Spread offense, West Coast offense, Option, Swerve or whatever you want to call the offense....give me a stud behind center and use ALL of his abilities.

Obviously everything is up in the air right now going into next season. However, as I look at what gains/losses the team has made offensively and looking at the rest of the nation right now I see what I (personally) would like.

No...I'm not pining for Eric Crouch or Tommie Frazier. However I think the day of the drop-back QB...at the college level...is no longer. I don't want 'The Option'...but give me a stud athlete at QB that can run, move, create and throw the ball a little.

Case in point. I watched the West Virginia and Lousiville game last night. Pat White. He did have a couple of costly turnovers. However when it came to crunch time, he wanted the ball in his hands. Running for first downs, throwing darts for quick outs, moving the chains and the clock. Capped it off with a 50-yard TD run that he looked like a video game player out there.

I know that a lot of these guys are needles in haystacks, but I think it is the way to go.

Pat White at WVU

Stephen McGee at A&M

Tim Tebow at Florida

Dennis Dixon at Oregon

Hell....even...

Colt McCoy at Texas

Chase Daniel at Missouri

They are all able to create and threaten a defense either way. Spread offense, West Coast offense, Option, Swerve or whatever you want to call the offense....give me a stud behind center and use ALL of his abilities.

Of course!!

i agree to a point...definetly someone who can see an open space and get a crucial third down conversion here and there or escape ceertain trouble and make something positive.

but i really really don't want a guy who is in any way not a 'thrower' or 'pocket guy first' QB. i just think a great athelete in a passing system is not as effective in the LONG run as a guy who wants to pass first, then if only to create or escape can run if he has too. now, if we run a true 'multi threat' offense who doesn't rely on great effiency numbers, then a more agile QB, i don't mind.

Dixon and White, I wouldn't count on them to complete 5, 6, 9 passes in a row when we really need it. maybe the plays with their feet make up for it, but i like a composed strong QB when it really counts.

I'll take a mobile QB with an accurate arm over an athlete QB. Feel the pressure in the pocket, move around & keep looking downfield, scramble for a first when needed. Not Zach Taylor mobile (if such a thing), but ............. Tony Romo type (as my example). Only runs when no one is open, and he usually finds someone downfield by creating space with his feet. I like the hybird selections CMB put out there. Although I dont think Stephen McGee or Pat White can do well if trailing by two scores & the running game is shut down. That's why I always prefer a QB that is more of a thrower than runner.

I like the idea of having an athlete that can make plays, but I think the qb should be capable of dropping back and throwing when needed. Ganz showed that he has the ability to scramble when a play breaks down. I think if they rolled the pocket for him and gave him more run/pass options, he'd be a pretty good dual threat qb. The WCO could work with a guy like Ganz or Lee running it and some modified play calling to fit their skills.

I would have loved to have gotten a stud like this kid:

High School

Shattered school record for passing yards with 2,963 in just two seasons ... single-season passing record-holder (1,756) ... holds school record in all-purpose yards with 2,326 ... completed 52.7 percent of his passes for 1,756 yards and 17 passing touchdowns as a senior ... gained 517 yards on the ground and found the end zone nine times on 96 rushing attempts .

Kid is 6'2, 210 lbs...tough, fast and has a cannon for an arm. And a local kid tto boot! Seems his dad was a player for the Huskers way back when...this guy would have been a perfect candidate to get in there, grow with the system and lead this team for years to come....

Just wish we would have got him...

Oh wait! WE did!

You'll be adding the name Phillip Bates to your wish list before too long.