...in defense of Callahan

Careful. DaveH might move this to the rumor forum.

X

Quick somebody fix this record I think it has a skip.

Quick somebody fix this record I think it has a skip. :madash

StuckinChicago is exactly right.

BC takes credit for developing QB's and having an effective offense. Its like the defense isn't his responsibility! A HC is responsible for the WHOLE team. From his viewpoint the is doing "an excellent job in all aspects of the game." <_<

From his viewpoint, the defense isn't his job!!! BC is a very good OC, but no HC.

The guy has really taken a pounding over the last month. I can't blame him for firing back but you are right. ANYTHING he says will be twisted by the mob that is angry Husker Nation. I had thought some of the stuff that has been brought up had been put to bed years ago (ie the OMG WALK ONS11122!!)

Dave..

I've seen a few posts hinting against the Walkon program since I've been here and they all seem to come from you.

What do you have against it?

I always thought it was one of the things that set us apart from other programs.

The board is going to suck until something happens... Every thread regardless of the title ends up the same.

The same people posting the same crap over and over and over.

I realize everyone hates Callahan but do the same people have to remind us every f'ing thread? I havent read anything football related without the entire thread turning into a Callahan bashing, in a LONG time.

Callahan will be gone soon we all know this. Can we please bash callahan in the proper threads And not start 20 more at the same time? Some of you guys remind me of 12 yr old girls. Get over it already!!!

Look, Callahan had his chance and has not endeared himself to Nebraska or its fans. Unfortunately for him, Pederson didn't help much. You can blame it on the cupboard for being bare. You can blame it on all kinds of things, but the bottom line is that he's not a motivator of student athletes. I have never seen a lack of player interest by the Huskers since I've been alive.

Personally, I think Callahan is a vindictive SOB and very calculated. What he lacks in leadership, he sure gains in political savvy. But he isn't even nice about it really. He obviously thinks he's far too superior to identify with Nebraska. But basically he's a desperate lad that clearly benefited from Pederson's ego back when he was sh#t out of luck with the coaching search.

So....his dip sh#t comments today don't surprise me.

And, by the way, I'd like to meet his politely refined and classy agent. He's a piece of work isn't he!

I don't have a problem at all with Callahan trying to defend himself. I'd rather have that than his typical BS coach talk. The problem I have is that after Joe Ganz comes out and has (statistically) the best game of any QB in Nebraska history, Callahan chooses to come out and basically say Ganz (as well as Taylor and Keller) is just a product of Callahan's system. Even if that's true, that's a complete dick move.

So what if Ganz is just a system QB? Does that mean that Callahan's system is a good college system? No. The problem with Callahan's system is that it takes QBs so long to get it down and effective. It took Taylor time to figure out how to work the offense, Keller has been very inconsistent this year in spite of his amazing arm (and amazing history at ASU), and it must have taken Ganz four years to get the system down for a Keller injury late in the year to be the only thing that got Ganz a sniff of a real game. I stand by that old critique of Callahan's system that it is made for the NFL because in the pros you don't have such a high turnover in QBs as you do in college.

Just because he didn't credit his players in this one specific press conference doesn't mean that he completely dismisses their accomplishments and files them under the category of "products of his system". He has stated several times that this program wouldn't be where it is without Zac Taylor (also saying something to the effect of Zac being the smartest quarerback he's ever coached). He's also said a few times this season that he couldn't be happier with Keller's performances, and that Keller helped keep this team alive. Same goes for Ganz, repeated comments about how they aren't going to shy away from the passing game because he and his staff have the upmost ability in Ganz (this is praising a player, if you are too thick to notice).

Get off the guys nuts :dunno:lol:

Ya know guys, we all keep screaming Cally is gone. Persoanlly I defended him for a long time, but those days are over. He has to prove himself to me now.

But let's keep a few ideas in mind. Callahan has done nothing here but run the program the only way he knows how. The NFL way. When it comes to the ruined traditions and the devasted walk on program and all of that kind of stuff, in the end I'll eventually forgive him. The fact is he didn't really know that stuff and never made a connection with us. He couldn't have known unless someone told him. That was Perderon's job. Of course some of us were on his back from the day he was hired too.

The guy that REALLY should have known better was Steve Pederson. Pedey could have given BC better advice and guidance, and didn't. Pedey was one of us. He should have known better.

Now let's face one cold hard fact. We don't hold Callahan's fate in our hands. Tom Osborne does. None of us here as anywhere near as qualified to evaluate BC as Tom Osborne is. TO will decide what to do based upon what he thinks, and only what he thinks and that's how I like it. So we might as well take a pill and cool out.

And keep in mind...Callahan's tenure here hasn't been all crap. His teams have had some performances that looked really good- like saturday's game. TO just might decide to keep the man. Not very likely, but possible.

If he does, I'll go along with it because I trust Coach Osborne. I'll choose to believe that TO knows what he's doing a whole lot more than any of us know, because he's proven himself time and time again. And you won't hear me losing my mind over it. And if BC produces results next year, I will be placated and supportive because I believe in the Osborne effect. I hope all of you will be too.

And if not..coach will can his sorry arse then.

I'm out.

Look, Callahan had his chance and has not endeared himself to Nebraska or its fans. Unfortunately for him, Pederson didn't help much. You can blame it on the cupboard for being bare. You can blame it on all kinds of things, but the bottom line is that he's not a motivator of student athletes. I have never seen a lack of player interest by the Huskers since I've been alive.

Personally, I think Callahan is a vindictive SOB and very calculated. What he lacks in leadership, he sure gains in political savvy. But he isn't even nice about it really. He obviously thinks he's far too superior to identify with Nebraska. But basically he's a desperate lad that clearly benefited from Pederson's ego back when he was sh#t out of luck with the coaching search.

So....his dip sh#t comments today don't surprise me.

And, by the way, I'd like to meet his politely refined and classy agent. He's a piece of work isn't he!

Very well put. :clap

My favorite part of the teleconference was when BC talked about the 7 td passes and said "that's a record that will stand a long time ..........unless it's done again soon." What the heck does that mean. Come on, say it Bill, you mean it will either be matched or bested a week from Friday (your last day to coach), or no new coaching staff could ever devise a game plan so cunning and effective that we will see a performance like that again. Jeez.

The guy was definitely conducting an "open" interview for another job. Who can blame him?

OK. Everbody who saw the K-State going into the tank thing coming, raise your hand. I actually thought that Prince guy was one of the best motivators out there. I hate K-State, but it was fun to watch them play. They always knocked the snot out of people. It was like we switched mojo's with them.

The guy was definitely conducting an "open" interview for another job.

Or this job!!

Sounded funny coming from a guy who was supposedly asked to resign. Didn't sound like he expects to be gone, sounds like he thinks he has a chance to sell his "system" to Dr T.

We'll see. One thing for sure, it's TO's decision not ours. He'll do the right thing.

Thank God it's up to a football genius and not anonymous internet posters on a forum.

btw- PJ for HC

BEAT CU!!

I don't have a problem at all with Callahan trying to defend himself. I'd rather have that than his typical BS coach talk. The problem I have is that after Joe Ganz comes out and has (statistically) the best game of any QB in Nebraska history, Callahan chooses to come out and basically say Ganz (as well as Taylor and Keller) is just a product of Callahan's system. Even if that's true, that's a complete dick move.

So what if Ganz is just a system QB? Does that mean that Callahan's system is a good college system? No. The problem with Callahan's system is that it takes QBs so long to get it down and effective. It took Taylor time to figure out how to work the offense, Keller has been very inconsistent this year in spite of his amazing arm (and amazing history at ASU), and it must have taken Ganz four years to get the system down for a Keller injury late in the year to be the only thing that got Ganz a sniff of a real game. I stand by that old critique of Callahan's system that it is made for the NFL because in the pros you don't have such a high turnover in QBs as you do in college.

Just because he didn't credit his players in this one specific press conference doesn't mean that he completely dismisses their accomplishments and files them under the category of "products of his system". He has stated several times that this program wouldn't be where it is without Zac Taylor (also saying something to the effect of Zac being the smartest quarerback he's ever coached). He's also said a few times this season that he couldn't be happier with Keller's performances, and that Keller helped keep this team alive. Same goes for Ganz, repeated comments about how they aren't going to shy away from the passing game because he and his staff have the upmost ability in Ganz (this is praising a player, if you are too thick to notice).

Get off the guys nuts :dunno:lol:

i would be glad to get off the guys' nuts, but not one damn time did he stand up and accept the responsibility for the defensive implosion of this team over the last 4 years. not once, not one goddam time did he take responsibility for the defensive failures, only gloated over some offensive stats run up against 2nd and 3rd teamers during blow out losses.

and that is the sign of a one way self promoting a$$hole.....and THAT is all i have to say about THAT!

Honestly, does anyone disagree? We all said, pretty much, look at Ganz, he's had four years in the system and he knows it in and out now. Look at Taylor, the improvement from year one to year two with one year in the system under his belt. Oh if only Keller had another year in this system, what could be. Things like that...

...but now of course, it's not a good system? So I guess these guys didn't benefit at all from time and learning in the WCO, and these past few games have just been small miracles?

If he were a good coach and knew he had a product of the system in Ganz, then why did he bring Keller in and hand him the starting torch? Has Ganz really even seen the field other than the Nevada game when Keller wasn't injured? There's a reason TT typically has a junior or senior mature QB. Their system is similar to ours. They don't start freshmen, sophomores, etc. because it takes time. Why did we bring in a bandaid?

In terms of defending himself because we think he sucks and can't coach, well look at all the records his TEAM has broken this year. They're not exactly the kinds of records a coach wants to own. Compared to the last 3 coaches NU has had spanning 4 decades or longer, he is a bust and can't coach!