Callahan suffering from the plague of Pederson?

The statement "Bill Callahan is fired," seems to already be regarded as fact rather than prediction. Is Callahan just a figure head in the fall of Steve Pederson? I will grant you that this season has been bad, but Callahan is an offensive guy, and as Billy is quick to point out the offense has been fine. Doesn't anyone want to see what a little continuity mixed with a little change can do? I think that Bill is a fighter, and just last year we were in the Big Twelve Championship game. I also think that one more year for Bill would be far from a bad idea.

He has never come back when down at the half, he doesn't adjust to what is being played on the field. In order to maintain a role in the top 25 you have to do those things. Look at the Texas game, they made adjustments we didn't.

one more year of callahan would be a disaster and the disappointment would be huge......time to trun the reins over to someone who can COACH!

One more disaster/Callahan year would be simply brutal. Why in the world does anybody want more Cally blow-out losses? Four losses in a row? 0-16 when down at halftime? Zero top 10 wins? "Why" does anyone want more?

The statement "Bill Callahan is fired," seems to already be regarded as fact rather than prediction. Is Callahan just a figure head in the fall of Steve Pederson? I will grant you that this season has been bad, but Callahan is an offensive guy, and as Billy is quick to point out the offense has been fine. Doesn't anyone want to see what a little continuity mixed with a little change can do? I think that Bill is a fighter, and just last year we were in the Big Twelve Championship game. I also think that one more year for Bill would be far from a bad idea.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

"The Offence is fine"??? The first 3 games of our 5 game slide we scored 6, 14, and 14 points, went 6 quarters without scoring a TD and at least 2 of the scores came when the game had already been decided.

This doesn't sound like the offence is fine to me.

...T_O_B

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

Yeah, well maybe the next coach will be perfect - god knows he'd better be- and the players will play like they give a sh#t, (when do we hold them accountable?) and let's hope we won't have any injuries and we won't have any penalties ever. This is a young team you know.

whoa, whoa, whoa big boy. if you watched the KU game yesterday you saw one of the best coached teams in college football. their talent is slightly better than average, at best, but all their position coaches are outstanding. Mangino has surrounded himself with great teachers/motivators of the game and he should be commended for it too. even if they don't win out, i would nominate Mangino for coach of the year and cally for loser of the year.

Uh... mangino's record looked like HELL until this season.... his SIXTH!! He was 25-35 after five seasons. He only had ONE 7 win season, last year he went 6-6.

Without a crystal ball, NO ONE knows what NU with Cally would look like in YEAR SIX!! He'll never get there.

But- his first four years were WAAAYYY better than Manginos.

If you are going to compare mangino and Cally- apples and oranges-- please follow through.

Yes- it does look like Cally is falling under the pederson plague.

BEAT CU!!

Yeah, well maybe the next coach will be perfect - god knows he'd better be- and the players will play like they give a sh#t, (when do we hold them accountable?) and let's hope we won't have any injuries and we won't have any penalties ever. This is a young team you know.

whoa, whoa, whoa big boy. if you watched the KU game yesterday you saw one of the best coached teams in college football. their talent is slightly better than average, at best, but all their position coaches are outstanding. Mangino has surrounded himself with great teachers/motivators of the game and he should be commended for it too. even if they don't win out, i would nominate Mangino for coach of the year and cally for loser of the year.

Uh... mangino's record looked like HELL until this season.... his SIXTH!! He was 25-35 after five seasons. He only had ONE 7 win season, last year he went 6-6.

Without a crystal ball, NO ONE knows what NU with Cally would look like in YEAR SIX!! He'll never get there.

If you are going to compare mangino and Cally- apples and oranges-- please follow through.

BEAT CU!!

i call bullsh#t on this one!

we HAD a program at NU, before Callahan came, for many years in fact and a damn good one.

Kansas HAS NEVER HAD a top program......if you want to talk apples to apples, you ain't makin it with your argument, there are no similarities between KU and NU, whatsoever from the past. Callahan came in and forced kids into his f'd up finesses program of football and now you see what we have, crap!

Magino has slowly built the program up with good assistants and good coaching, yeah, they still can't attract top recruits, but they are kicking ass, at least in the Big 12, which we can't do, with what they have and they play a very disciplined brand of football. Maybe you haven't watched their execution and play making?

Mangino still does not have good recruits, Callahan has players, he just can't coach and doesn't have any assistants they can either. Magino concentrates on the basics, tackling, blocking, callahan focuses on the gooddamn playbook, which still has most of our guys confused, but as many have said, the defenses sure aren't having much trouble defending it.

Callahan needs to go and WILL be gone in about a week. The reasons are far too numerous to list here. You can read this article about a number of them.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/displ...8/474115451c605

As far as Kansas being ranked so high, I think they are much over rated. True, they have managed to take care of business every week without tripping up like Oklahoma has done twice to inferior teams.

Kansas will have major difficulty in winning agains Missouri (which is also over rated). If they get past Missouri and Oklahoma (if OK has their quarterback back) then you can say they are a top 5 team. Until then, they look more like a good team. Somewhat like some of Tom Osborne's early Husker teams that beat everyone until they made it to the Oklahoma game or championship game.

Callahan needs to go and WILL be gone in about a week. The reasons are far too numerous to list here. You can read this article about a number of them.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/displ...8/474115451c605

As far as Kansas being ranked so high, I think they are much over rated. True, they have managed to take care of business every week without tripping up like Oklahoma has done twice to inferior teams.

Kansas will have major difficulty in winning agains Missouri (which is also over rated). If they get past Missouri and Oklahoma (if OK has their quarterback back) then you can say they are a top 5 team. Until then, they look more like a good team. Somewhat like some of Tom Osborne's early Husker teams that beat everyone until they made it to the Oklahoma game or championship game.

everyone, the link provided in the above post is a must read. basically, BC could have stayed and could have been given more time to build the program, but he never understood how to relate to the fan base.

BEAT CU!!

we HAD a program at NU, before Callahan came, for many years in fact and a damn good one.

Kansas HAS NEVER HAD a top program......if you want to talk apples to apples, you ain't makin it with your argument, there are no similarities between KU and NU, whatsoever from the past. Callahan came in and forced kids into his f'd up finesses program of football and now you see what we have, crap!

Magino has slowly built the program up with good assistants and good coaching, yeah, they still can't attract top recruits, but they are kicking ass, at least in the Big 12, which we can't do, with what they have and they play a very disciplined brand of football. Maybe you haven't watched their execution and play making?

Mangino still does not have good recruits, Callahan has players, he just can't coach and doesn't have any assistants they can either. Magino concentrates on the basics, tackling, blocking, callahan focuses on the gooddamn playbook, which still has most of our guys confused, but as many have said, the defenses sure aren't having much trouble defending it.

My turn to call bullsh!t.

You just bombarded me with opinions... not facts.

The fact is ....

it took mangino SIX years to get it going at KU. You are right he slowly built them.

Another fact-- Cally won't get SIX years to slowly build a program. He had to win NOW!!

Opinion-

that cally started with more has been HOTLY debated on forums. Some say solich left the cupboards BARE! Some say not.

Cally has done MORE in his first four years than mangino-- it's not even close.

That cally can't coach is pure OPINION. He has position coaches to teach fundamentals. Head coaches don't teach blocking and tackling.

That mangino has no recruits is plain opinion (mine says bullsh!t) they are 11-0. You don't go 11-0 without PLAYERS!! Players began as RECRUITS!!

NU has the #6 SOS in the country. Check out where KU is.

BEAT CU!!

BEAT CU!!

My turn to call bullsh!t.

You just bombarded me with opinions... not facts.

The fact is ....

it took mangino SIX years to get it going at KU. You are right he slowly built them.

Another fact-- Cally won't get SIX years to slowly build a program. He had to win NOW!!

Opinion-

that cally started with more has been HOTLY debated on forums. Some say solich left the cupboards BARE! Some say not.

Cally has done MORE in his first four years than mangino-- it's not even close.

That cally can't coach is pure OPINION. He has position coaches to teach fundamentals. Head coaches don't teach blocking and tackling.

That mangino has no recruits is plain opinion (mine says bullsh!t) they are 11-0. You don't go 11-0 without PLAYERS!! Players began as RECRUITS!!

NU has the #6 SOS in the country. Check out where KU is.

BEAT CU!!

fact.......cally has been embarassed by KU in 2 out of the last 3 years. Mangino ate his ass up this year!

fact.......cally is responsible for the sad collection of assistant coaches and Coz that put the poor product on the field.

fact.......cally has had more 4 and 5 star guys than KU has over the past 3-4 years.

I believe with the prestige that coach callahan had coming into the huskers everyone had some high expectations for him.. But I agree we had a pretty decent program here before cally came, and IMO he turned it to sh*t. You can blame him, or many of the position coaches, but we all agree... changes are needed, and its time to get this boat turned around!

fact.......cally has been embarassed by KU in 2 out of the last 3 years. Mangino ate his ass up this year!

fact.......cally is responsible for the sad collection of assistant coaches and Coz that put the poor product on the field.

fact.......cally has had more 4 and 5 star guys than KU has over the past 3-4 years.

Yes he did, mangino in his FIFTH and SIXTH year, beat cally in his THIRD and FOURTH year.

More opinion, cally is responsible for the collection of coaches- "sad" is opinion. They weren't considered "sad" by very many when he won the B12 north last season. Same coaches.

True, cally's recruiting skills are much better than MOST coaches and that's a GOOD thing.

more facts--

fact- cally's win/loss is MUCH better than manginos through four years.

fact- we'll never know how much better year five and six would have been for cally and NU.

fact- the HC tenure at NU has been getting shorter- not longer.

opinion- the revolving door is already spinning- the next HC will not get four years to succeed.

opinions vary...

PJ for HC

BEAT CU!!

I don't understand why people keep thinking that because we were so good and deep in tradition that it helps Callahan right away.

In just 4 years he has changed the offense a complete 180 degrees. He couldn't recruit the same type of players that we had in the past. You might not like Callahan and his attitude but it wasn't his decision to turn the program into a west coast offense style of play. He was brought in because that is the system he knows and he made the changes.

But, don't act like Callahan came in with everything set up for him. The fact that we were changing our offense made him have to sell our program. The quarterback situation was a mess, and the recievers were horrible. Nebraska was not set up for him to succeed.

There is no excuse for what has happened to our D, and that is a major MY BAD on Callahan's part.

Yes, I know we are Nebraska and we have tradition. Who gives a dams. What gets players is the facilities and how well the coaching staff is going to prepare them for the NFL. That is what kids care about. The recuits don't give a damn about our tradition. They want to go to a program that is stable, has good facilities and will give them a shot at making it in the NFL. When Callahan first got there the program had a lot of questions surrounding it.

Callahan didn't start off as bad as Manggino at Kansas and he didn't have to sell the program as much as Callahan did. But, don't act like we are NEBRASKA and that makes it easy for him. Not everyone in the country looks at NEBRASKA the way we all do.

I am not saying that Callahan deserves to keep his job, but I think Callahan has done some good things for the program. It isn't easy to change an offense around at the college level. I know that he has done some really stupid things with the program and he deserves to be fired! I just don't think that he has ruined this program and brought it down. We had a bad year this year, I know it sucked and it hurt I was as pissed as anyone.

I also feel that some of the blame gets placed on the fans, look at what happens when a team gets on a roll. The fans are in it and the energy keeps the players heads high and motivated. I lived in Lincoln in the 90's when we were at the top and you could feel the energy around town. But, look what has happened this year the energy around them has been nothing but negative. The players feel the negativity they hear the rumors they hear the boos and it affects their play plain and simple. You can say all you want that it is Callahan's responsibility to make sure the players are in the right mind set but he is one man. One man's speach isn't as loud as 100,000 boo's. I mean in Lincoln they boo the coaches children at High School games. If that happenes I can just about imagine what some fools say to the players during the week when they see them around town. That is the reason I don't want Turner Gill as Head Coach, because with how disgusting some of the fans have acted this year, I don't want the same thing to happen to one of my all time favorite HUSKERS.

fact- we'll never know how much better year five and six would have been for cally and NU.

opinion- the revolving door is already spinning- the next HC will not get four years to succeed.

opinions vary...

PJ for HC

BEAT CU!!

Why do you keep focusing on Mangino? Simply because for THIS YEAR alone it fits your argument?

How about you use Pete Carroll as your example?

Try that and see where Callahan compares.

If you're such a Kansas fan then ditch your Red and put on your Jayhawk gear already!

opinions vary...

PJ for HC

BEAT CU!!

Why do you keep focusing on Mangino? Simply because for THIS YEAR alone it fits your argument?

How about you use Pete Carroll as your example?

Try that and see where Callahan compares.

If you're such a Kansas fan then ditch your Red and put on your Jayhawk gear already!

actually, what's his name did. And if you READ the thread, you'll see that he is propping mangino...

... not me. Reading is FUNdamental.

Here's what I've been saying about mangino---

While mangino has done a great job at KU (likely coach of the year for the B12 and Nationally), I said cally OUTPERFORMED mangino through their respective first four years. It took mangino SIX years to get where he is, he only had 7 wins in his previously BEST season, 6-6 last year (year five).

If he had four years like Cally, he'd have never sniffed success. Sound like mangino worship?

Thanks for playing.

BEAT CU!!