I, for one, kind of believe this maybe true. I find it very troublesome that the coaches went out and recruited players to rebuild the walk-on program last week. When they did that, I interpreted it as being one of several steps that BC must do to keep his job.

I, for one, interpreted it as a coaching staff that was informed they will not be kept, therefore they cannot justifiably go out into the nation and recruit kids they cannot make promises to.

"Recruiting" walk-ons is entirely safe, since these kids are not being made promises (i.e., scholarships).

This is a big, BIG hint that Callahan and Co. are being let go Saturday.

Yes, I agree with this. Coached typically spend off weeks traveling to recruit and not going around the state to recruit walk-ons...

For those of us who are old farts like ARhusker :lol: and me, it shouldn't be a big shock to "us" if Osborne kept him. We Baby Boomers lived through the Osborne years and have a better idea of his pattern of behavior. He is not a hatchet man -- he is clearly not the firing type of person.

While I would think B.C. is gone, this is Tom Osborne, former football coach, we are talking about. He has a much better understanding of the game than over 95 percent of the A.D.s out there. And based on his personality and past behavior, he is probably about the only A.D. that would leave a crack in the door open.

AR, are you with me on this. I'm not saying Osborne would keep him, but if there is an A.D. out there who would, it would be Osborne. He has such a deep thought process, and he makes decisions in a very careful manner. He doesn't like to make drastic decisions.

For those of us who are old farts like ARhusker :lol: and me, it shouldn't be a big shock to "us" if Osborne kept him. We Baby Boomers lived through the Osborne years and have a better idea of his pattern of behavior. He is not a hatchet man -- he is clearly not the firing type of person.

While I would think B.C. is gone, this is Tom Osborne, former football coach, we are talking about. He has a much better understanding of the game than over 95 percent of the A.D.s out there. And based on his personality and past behavior, he is probably about the only A.D. that would leave a crack in the door open.

AR, are you with me on this. I'm not saying Osborne would keep him, but if there is an A.D. out there who would, it would be Osborne. He has such a deep thought process, and he makes decisions in a very careful manner. He doesn't like to make drastic decisions.

Agree 100%. Guys, Osborne will be considering a number of factors. First and foremost, he'll look at how Callahan has run the program from an integrity perspective. And like him or not, Callahan's done a good job there. He's recruited good character guys, removed or disciplined bad-character guys, maintained the academics, not done anything to even bring a hint of NCAA investigation, etc. (and yes, that's the way it's been at NU for decades, but that doesn't negate the fact that Callahan could have easily recruited only thugs and kept them on the team, or bent the recruiting rules, and so on).

Second, I feel that Osborne will look to the overall state of the program. And in doing so, he will look at factors that include continuity. Of all the coaches in the nation, Osborne more than any other understands the need for continuity and stability.

I really feel that won-loss records are not as important to Osborne as the first two items. I would bet London to a bucket of spit that he feels that if the first two above are present, any other issues can be corrected. If Callahan is open in stating that changes need to be made, and outlines what those changes are (and assuming they make sense), I think Osborne might consider keeping Callahan. If Callahan were to ask Osborne for input and, even better, take Osborne up on some of his suggestions, I think Osborne mignt consider keeping Callahan (and I'm not necessarily speaking of football so much as how to connect to Husker fans, how to be a good ambassador, etc.).

I am not saying that I think he will retain Callahan. However, like Spartness, I think that of all the ADs out there, Osborne is the one that would consider retaining Callahan.

I'd love to be able to sit down with Osborne after this is over and ask him what factors he considered and which ones weighed heaviest in whichever decision he makes. My gut says that everyone would be surprised by the answer.

If this happens you can pretty much kiss Husker football as we know it good bye. Osborne's alleged decision will divide the fanbase to the point of collapse, and it will echoe dully across the empty spaces in Memorial Stadium for the next two season, and then perhaps forever.

I don't believe this rumor, but if it does come to pass it would make my physically ill. I love Nebraska football, and to see Callahan destroy it with the aid of Tom Osborne––the architect himself––would be intolerable. But, I'll wait until this Saturday to see what goes down.

I pray you're wrong.

X

i agree, this would be worse than the Grinch stealing Christmas. it would leave a huge black cloud hanging over our program for 2 more years. no way in hell, in anyone's hell, is clownahan going to turn this thing around or regain the trust, let alone adoration of Husker fans. he has gone out of bounds, off the field, into outer f'ing space for me.

I, for one, kind of believe this maybe true. I find it very troublesome that the coaches went out and recruited players to rebuild the walk-on program last week. When they did that, I interpreted it as being one of several steps that BC must do to keep his job.

I, for one, interpreted it as a coaching staff that was informed they will not be kept, therefore they cannot justifiably go out into the nation and recruit kids they cannot make promises to.

"Recruiting" walk-ons is entirely safe, since these kids are not being made promises (i.e., scholarships).

This is a big, BIG hint that Callahan and Co. are being let go Saturday.

that was exactly my though too. then you read this crap......i will say it again, if TO keeps callahan it will be like driving a stake in Husker nation's heart. it will split this fan base with a passion we have never known.

Is this also saying that over 1/2 of Hukser Nation would then in turn "not trust" TO......not trusting TO would be un-husker-like, huh.... everyone keeps saying that we need to trust TO and give him credit and respect (at least in response to my posts saying how big this decision is).....and now you all are saying that if he sitcks with BC.....it would be terrible, blah, blah, blah....what happened to "trusting TO" ...... or is it trust TO ....only if he does exactly what "you" want.....

"you" is not a reference to any single person on this board or response, but is used as a "general reference"..... I really truly try to not attack anyone personally....

Agree 100%. Guys, Osborne will be considering a number of factors. First and foremost, he'll look at how Callahan has run the program from an integrity perspective. And like him or not, Callahan's done a good job there. He's recruited good character guys, removed or disciplined bad-character guys, maintained the academics, not done anything to even bring a hint of NCAA investigation, etc. (and yes, that's the way it's been at NU for decades, but that doesn't negate the fact that Callahan could have easily recruited only thugs and kept them on the team, or bent the recruiting rules, and so on).

Second, I feel that Osborne will look to the overall state of the program. And in doing so, he will look at factors that include continuity. Of all the coaches in the nation, Osborne more than any other understands the need for continuity and stability.

I really feel that won-loss records are not as important to Osborne as the first two items. I would bet London to a bucket of spit that he feels that if the first two above are present, any other issues can be corrected. If Callahan is open in stating that changes need to be made, and outlines what those changes are (and assuming they make sense), I think Osborne might consider keeping Callahan. If Callahan were to ask Osborne for input and, even better, take Osborne up on some of his suggestions, I think Osborne mignt consider keeping Callahan (and I'm not necessarily speaking of football so much as how to connect to Husker fans, how to be a good ambassador, etc.).

I am not saying that I think he will retain Callahan. However, like Spartness, I think that of all the ADs out there, Osborne is the one that would consider retaining Callahan.

I'd love to be able to sit down with Osborne after this is over and ask him what factors he considered and which ones weighed heaviest in whichever decision he makes. My gut says that everyone would be surprised by the answer.

:yeah:yeah

And that's why I would not be surprised if Callahan remains as the HC.

:yeah:yeah

And that's why I would not be surprised if Callahan remains as the HC.

I agree with you guys. Osborne is going to base his decision based on what he feels and not what we all feel. I think Osborne would be very involved with the hiring of new assistants though.

I'm willing to entertain the idea that Callahan will stay. I don't have a crystal ball any more than anyone else does. It just seems to me that all the signs we're seeing point toward him leaving.

If he makes a few changes and stops with the coach-speak, I'm willing to climb back on the edge of the Bill Callahan Bandwagon. I still don't think he's a good fit for this program, but while he's here I'll support him as much as possible (and as much as he earns).

If this happens you can pretty much kiss Husker football as we know it good bye. Osborne's alleged decision will divide the fanbase to the point of collapse, and it will echoe dully across the empty spaces in Memorial Stadium for the next two season, and then perhaps forever.

I don't believe this rumor, but if it does come to pass it would make my physically ill. I love Nebraska football, and to see Callahan destroy it with the aid of Tom Osborne––the architect himself––would be intolerable. But, I'll wait until this Saturday to see what goes down.

I pray you're wrong.

X

I have to disagree, whether or not Callahan will destroy Husker football is only speculative, although I'll be the first to admit that he's done a decent job at it so far. As far as the fan base what, are they going to collapse pre bowl game (I of course do assume we'll CRUSH CU), or maybe the off-season? If BC is retained and his teams comes out showing vast improvement the fans will be behind him, if he sucks it up again they won't be. There will be no major division.

................If Osborne already knows Callahan is staying, why wouldn't he tell him now and avoid any more bleeding from the recruiting class?

That's the clue that answers the question, "Is Callahan staying or going?" There is no way Osborne would have waited if Callahan was staying. He would have atleast dropped some hints to protect the recruiting. We lost a 5 star quarterback because of the doubt. No way Osborne would have allowed uncertainty to lose this recruit if Callahan was staying.

I can't believe there's posters now asking "who do you think Callahan will hire as his assistants?" OMG This board kinda reminds me of of the blind leading the blind to the new flav of the day!

How do you like your crow prepared?

The thing that irks me the most is how people can be so stubborn..."Osborne said, nothing will happen til' the end of the season" blah blah blah Folks he'd have to be downright stupid not to have set everything in motion from the day he took the interim title. College football is volitile and to use the old phrase it's "dog eat dog". He's been analyzing Callahan since the day Cally took the job...why wouldn't he? After all the years he spent in the program I'd be niave to think he didn't/does play out a ton of different scenerios of what could happen...should happen...what I'd do.

Don't think for second he doesn't pay attention to the pulse of the fans, not necessarily these boards but people walking out of the stadium speaks volumes. We are the ones who've kept the sellout record going and were the ones that travel on our dime. You better believe he listens!

If Cally stays, Osborne status of "God" will be severely tarnished and it might well be armegeddon in Husker Nation.

Let me remind you as well that Tom was a politician and just cus' there isn't a flippin' press conference evertime he picks up the phone doesn't mean nothing is going on outside of "evaluating the staff".

I dunno, it's hard for me to put into words....you just have to read between the lines alittle!

He's gone, I have no sources but when all things are considered it's the right decision for the state of Husker Nation.

Blast away but save an appetite...mmmmm grilled crow!