How many seasons will it take to get back to respectability...

hskrdedhed

Realistic expectations would be:

better conditioned athletes, leaner on both lines

stronger athletes

more physical play

tremendously more intense, focused play

gang tackling

improved fundamentals getting off blocks, better leverage with lineman, etc.

smarter decision making from coaches

coaches who play speed players

better use of redshirts

no excuses made by coaches or players

no blame being attributed to anyone but those responsble

a never quit attitude from coaches and players

no talking smack from players

good graduation rates

excellent character from the players and coaches off the field

better connection with team history, ex-players

and whatever that translates to record-wise on the field. Everything listed above is in the control of the players and coaches. Expect them to do all of that and hope it translates to more W's than L's --- maybe appreciably more W's than L's. But remember that the B12 now is pretty good --- even with all the improvement listed above, 9 wins may not happen.

:yeah

Just listened to Fos Sports Football finale. I thihk with Oberman.

He had a visiting coach, but I did not catch his name.

He stated he did not think Pelini should be named head coach, that he had one far less with more talent than anyone he knew.

He would not be much of a step up from BC. He felt the same about Gill.

Feels we need to go after Grobe or Johnson. Established head coaches.

Felt the Michigan job was a better job than Nebraska or A&M.

Did not feel Miles was a great coach and would not be asked to come to Michigan. Also felt that Pelini would be gone at LSU, no matter if he is hired bay anyone else.

Certainly not a ringing endoresment for our supposed next coach.

Remember those wins will be with Coach Callahan's recruits. (if he is let go)

And will 9 wins be enough for the fans?

For 99% of Husker fans this would go without question under a new coach.

I think for the long haul, "we" should expect the minimum to be 10 wins with 12 regular season games, a shot at CCG, and a bowl game. Anything less, and "we" might as well not expect anything and just give a coach a 25 year contract so that he can retire at NU with no worry of job performance. I dont want to settle for mediocre. I have no faith that Cally could have consistently kept NU above mediocre. 9-4 isnt much of above mediocre in the grand scheme of things imo.

This is why Nebraska will become a revolving door for coaches!!

Diehard --- well done. You are absolutely correct. The NU fan expectation is absurd. Unrealistic expectations makes life very rough for coaches and players. Until the fan base gets realistic then yes, revolving doors is what we'll get. Though another 5 or 6 years of ca. .500 or so play and 1/2 the seasons without bowl games would fix those expectations the hard way.

I'd rather just take what we can get, hope for the best and cheer them on hoping for improvement and having realistic expectations.

So what should us Husker fans accept as realistic expectations? I'll never get the answer to my next question, but I wonder if someone like a Pete Carroll would ever sign on with an NU with a non-high bar being set. My Huskers have been a winner until this Cally debacle. As a fan, why should I be satisfied with less? I'd rather coach at a place that expects excellence and will give me everything I needed to reach those expectations than coach at a place where the fans are wishy-washy and will "take what we can get". I think thats the most defeated attitude I've ever heard from a Husker fan. :lol::)

You think someone like a Pete Carroll would come here with a NON-HIGH BAR BEING SET? This NON-HIGH BAR being no more than two losses a year?!?!?!?

Actually my bar is set at 10 wins assumming 13/14 games/year. To answer your question, even though you didnt answer mine, is yes, I think someone like Carroll would want to come coach and be around winners. Not a fan base thats okay with mediocrity. I asked two questions in my post. Care to provide an answer to those?

Realistic expectations would be:

better conditioned athletes, leaner on both lines

stronger athletes

more physical play

tremendously more intense, focused play

gang tackling

improved fundamentals getting off blocks, better leverage with lineman, etc.

smarter decision making from coaches

coaches who play speed players

better use of redshirts

no excuses made by coaches or players

no blame being attributed to anyone but those responsble

a never quit attitude from coaches and players

no talking smack from players

good graduation rates

excellent character from the players and coaches off the field

better connection with team history, ex-players

and whatever that translates to record-wise on the field. Everything listed above is in the control of the players and coaches. Expect them to do all of that and hope it translates to more W's than L's --- maybe appreciably more W's than L's. But remember that the B12 now is pretty good --- even with all the improvement listed above, 9 wins may not happen.

:yeah

I dont think there'd be any question that improvement in those areas would dramtically affect the W/L record.

Define "respectability"...

To me, Nebraska could regain "respectabiliity" next year, regardless of record, by simply becoming competitive again. Build a defense that stop someone, or at least slow them down. Maybe some of the athletes on offense need to be moved to defense. We need to get tough and learn to run the ball effectively again to compliment passing.

Well, considering how badly we played this year I wouldn't hold my breath.

Kansas, Missouri, 2 VERY tough games. Colorado will be hard again. Iowa State will be better than this year, and we nearly lost to them at home. Kansas State will be looking for revenge after being humiated this year.

Oklahoma will be no pushover. Baylor probably will be. Jeez, Texas Tech beat OU this year so can't assume a win there either.

In the Non conference, Virginia Tech... Ouch.

could be as good as 8-4. or as bad as 4-8.......

Creampuff schedule for some teams...maybe not for NU

I don't know if you guys realize this, but you're one defensive genius away from being a Big XII title favorite. I mean, for God's sake, look at the numbers your offense has been putting up!

If your defense had anything resembling a pulse, you'd have won at least 9 games this year. The talent is there on both sides of the ball, it's just only being utilized with the offense.

But here's the question: is Callahan solely responsible for the offense's success? If he goes away, does the offensive production go with him?

San Jose State

New Mexico State

Western Michigan

should be wins

Virginia Tech Loss

Missouri Loss

Texas Tech will be tough in Lubbock but doable, tossup

Iowa State Win

Baylor Win

Oklahoma Loss

Kansas tossup

Kansas State Win

Colorado tossup

I can see nine, I can also see seven... however talent is there so we could win more if we get lucky breaks and play great all year.

Remember those wins will be with Coach Callahan's recruits. (if he is let go)

And will 9 wins be enough for the fans?

For 99% of Husker fans this would go without question under a new coach.

I think for the long haul, "we" should expect the minimum to be 10 wins with 12 regular season games, a shot at CCG, and a bowl game. Anything less, and "we" might as well not expect anything and just give a coach a 25 year contract so that he can retire at NU with no worry of job performance. I dont want to settle for mediocre. I have no faith that Cally could have consistently kept NU above mediocre. 9-4 isnt much of above mediocre in the grand scheme of things imo.

This is why Nebraska will become a revolving door for coaches!!

Diehard --- well done. You are absolutely correct. The NU fan expectation is absurd. Unrealistic expectations makes life very rough for coaches and players. Until the fan base gets realistic then yes, revolving doors is what we'll get. Though another 5 or 6 years of ca. .500 or so play and 1/2 the seasons without bowl games would fix those expectations the hard way.

I'd rather just take what we can get, hope for the best and cheer them on hoping for improvement and having realistic expectations.

So what should us Husker fans accept as realistic expectations? I'll never get the answer to my next question, but I wonder if someone like a Pete Carroll would ever sign on with an NU with a non-high bar being set. My Huskers have been a winner until this Cally debacle. As a fan, why should I be satisfied with less? I'd rather coach at a place that expects excellence and will give me everything I needed to reach those expectations than coach at a place where the fans are wishy-washy and will "take what we can get". I think thats the most defeated attitude I've ever heard from a Husker fan. :lol::)

You think someone like a Pete Carroll would come here with a NON-HIGH BAR BEING SET? This NON-HIGH BAR being no more than two losses a year?!?!?!?

Actually my bar is set at 10 wins assumming 13/14 games/year. To answer your question, even though you didnt answer mine, is yes, I think someone like Carroll would want to come coach and be around winners. Not a fan base thats okay with mediocrity. I asked two questions in my post. Care to provide an answer to those?

I gave you my opinion...

i think maybe 2 years but thats just me becuzz u have 2 consider this ,will the next coach keep that west coast offience or a passing game or mixx it up or will he do tha option game??then u have 2 work the D and i dont really think the players play good D as a unit so thats just me

I don't know if you guys realize this, but you're one defensive genius away from being a Big XII title favorite. I mean, for God's sake, look at the numbers your offense has been putting up!

If your defense had anything resembling a pulse, you'd have won at least 9 games this year. The talent is there on both sides of the ball, it's just only being utilized with the offense.

But here's the question: is Callahan solely responsible for the offense's success? If he goes away, does the offensive production go with him?

i just wanna knoe y they didnt start that qb earlyier in the season they guy can flat out play qb and then yesterday he ran the option really good i thought i was seeing things :lol: