Optimism or not for 2008

HANC

Serious question......not being pesimistic or optimistic here....but if you honestly look at our schedule, and realize that a new coach means a new system....and most of us agree that it should take at least a few years to get a coach completely installed...... how do you think we fair next season.....

Are we looking at a turn - around with a bowl bid or another long December, saying wait til' next year...

Virginia Tech - at home, but they are a top 20 team who will play lights out defense....

OU - I am not sure where we play....but OU is OU and top 5 pre-season at least

Texas Tech - A very good football team who will light up the scoreboard...Crabtree only a FR. (may have

a new coach if Leach bolts)

KU - Like it or not, this season is not a fluke...they can play...and are young at skilled positions... :madash

MU - May be playing for NC...They are good....very good...another "No fluke".... :madash

KSU - hate these guys, but play at Manhatten..... pretty young, but lose Nelson.....

ISU - this team only got better and better....glad we played them early...heck, they beat CU and we

haven't faired well there, even with Frank and a few times with TO

CU - young team who will only get better with Hawkins as coach and QB....

* good things are that KU-MU-CU-VT are at home.....not sure about OU-TT

* good things are that the ohter 3 non-conference games should allow us to get at least 3 wins...only need

more for a bid

*** Concerning would be that if you realistically look at this schedule, we have potential to play a very tough

schedule with a new coach and system (but a better coach, hopefully)..

I hate to even try to predict a W-L record....so I will wait and see what the rest of you say, then I will jump somewhere in the middle :clap

Serious question......not being pesimistic or optimistic here....but if you honestly look at our schedule, and realize that a new coach means a new system....and most of us agree that it should take at least a few years to get a coach completely installed...... how do you think we fair next season.....

Are we looking at a turn - around with a bowl bid or another long December, saying wait til' next year...

Virginia Tech - at home, but they are a top 20 team who will play lights out defense....

Texas Tech - A very good football team who will light up the scoreboard...Crabtree only a FR. (may have

KU - Like it or not, this season is not a fluke...they can play...and are young at skilled positions... :madash

MU - May be playing for NC...They are good....very good...another "No fluke".... :madash

KSU - hate these guys, but play at Manhatten..... pretty young, but lose Nelson.....

ISU - this team only got better and better....glad we played them early...heck, they beat CU and we

* good things are that the ohter 3 non-conference games should allow us to get at least 3 wins...only need

more for a bid

*** Concerning would be that if you realistically look at this schedule, we have potential to play a very tough

I hate to even try to predict a W-L record....so I will wait and see what the rest of you say, then I will jump somewhere in the middle :clap

Good question, but i believe most husker fans will be happy if we are competitive in games and not get blown out. We have lots of talent, if anything Callahan did right it was in recruiting good players. The next coach will have a crap load of talent to work with but the scheme and getting the players to buy into the scheme will be the key. I would be happy with a 7-5 or 6-6 season but i wouldnt be surprised to see another 5-7 season.

San Jose St W

N Mexico St W

V Tech W

West Mich W

Mizzou L

Tex Tech L

ISU L

Baylor W

at OU L

Kansas W

at KSU L

Colorado W

so 7-5 it is.

Did you seriously just predict we would lose to Iowa State? :o

Take a look at next years returning team and some of the recruits. ISU is definately going to be a competitive team. Chizek has it going over here. A few wayward transfers and lost recruits from Nebraska isn't going to hurt matters either :)

more for a bid

If we play competitively then it will take the sting out of any games we lose. Folks on the outside will be encouraged just to see a competitive Nebraska team again. We will have many of the same players that we had this year and frankly, I don't see much difference between what we were playing and what everyone else was playing? WCO?? What was that anyway? Just passing a little more? I for one just want to see some smash mouth football on the defensive side. Our offense can get the job done for the most part. I also want to see the new coaches teach those boys how to tackle and play their positions. If we can make those changes we have a good chance of being pretty good next year. GBR!

San Jose St W

N Mexico St W

V Tech W

West Mich W

Mizzou L

Tex Tech L

ISU L

Baylor W

at OU L

Kansas W

at KSU L

Colorado W

so 7-5 it is.

If we bring in someone with a similar offensive system and and DC that makes sure fundamentals are emphasized, I think it will be:

San Jose St W

N Mexico St W

V Tech L

West Mich W

Mizzou L

Tex Tech L

ISU W

Baylor W

at OU L

Kansas L

at KSU L

Colorado W

or 6-6.

If the defense has really good athletes that have simply been put in terrible positions, and we can return to the blackshirts of old, I'll add TT, Kansas, and KSU to the W column.

If the defense can't get turned around, and/or if we bring in a completely new and different offense, I think a realistic expectation would be:

San Jose St W

N Mexico St W

V Tech L

West Mich W

Mizzou L

Tex Tech L

ISU L

Baylor W

at OU L

Kansas L

at KSU L

Colorado L

or 4-8

I'd take a hard fought 4-8 for the first year coach, no matter who it is, and I'd be a heck of a lot happier than I was with our 5-7 record this year.

San Jose St W

N Mexico St W

V Tech W

West Mich W

Mizzou L

Tex Tech L

ISU L

Baylor W

at OU L

Kansas W

at KSU L

Colorado W

so 7-5 it is.

If we bring in someone with a similar offensive system and and DC that makes sure fundamentals are emphasized, I think it will be:

San Jose St W

N Mexico St W

V Tech L

West Mich W

Mizzou L

Tex Tech L

ISU W

Baylor W

at OU L

Kansas L

at KSU L

Colorado W

or 6-6.

If the defense has really good athletes that have simply been put in terrible positions, and we can return to the blackshirts of old, I'll add TT, Kansas, and KSU to the W column.

If the defense can't get turned around, and/or if we bring in a completely new and different offense, I think a realistic expectation would be:

San Jose St W

N Mexico St W

V Tech L

West Mich W

Mizzou L

Tex Tech L

ISU L

Baylor W

at OU L

Kansas L

at KSU L

Colorado L

or 4-8

I'd take a hard fought 4-8 for the first year coach, no matter who it is, and I'd be a heck of a lot happier than I was with our 5-7 record this year.

i'll take the KSU game again and go 5-7 for sure.

San Jose State- Home game. Should win it.

New Mexico State- Again, home game, should win.

Virginia Tech - Likely Loss

Western Michigan- Should win.

Missouri- Will be an awfully strong team again. Home game, But I think a likely Mizzou win at this point.

at Texas Tech - Based on what I saw this season, I'd say they'd beat us. But we'll have a chance here.

at Iowa State- We nearly lost to them at home this year and they'll be better next year. Could drop this one, but I think we'll have a chance.

Byalor.- Bye week before the trip to Norman.

at OU - Will kick our asses in spite of the bye week against Baylor.

KU - Hard to say. Mangino's got a good team this year, but it's wait and see as to whether he can sustain. His AD said at the beginning of the year he was gone if the team didn't improve after last years record. I'll call it a win since it's a home game.

at KSU - Wildcats will be out for revenge. But I think we'll still beat them.

Colorado- Will continue to get stronger. Could go either way, but I'll can it for NU at home.

Probably finish soething like 7-5. But could be as bad as 4-8. Have realistic expectations.

As it does every year, optimism will bloom in spring and late fall. Even moreso now with a new head coach. However, I've learned to temper my optimism. Especially with a new coach coming in. I always hope the Huskers do well, I am really not going to expect much next year. I hope I am suprised! :)