Jim Rome mentioned Bill Cowher as being interested in the NU job. At first the idea seemed ludicrous, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. He would definitely have the D playing mean and aggressive, and emphasize a power running game. Also, I think his reputation would help him be a great recruiter. I would be very surprised if he is truly interested, but if so I think he would be a great hire.

Hmmm...wonder where Rome got this scoop? He's not just some local jock spouting off so would be interested to know if Rome knows this, then TO must know this as well. Was Rome just speculating or did he say he was sure Cowher was interested? Heck, interview the guy! I like Pelini but Cowher seems like he is Pelini but with like 20 more years experience...interesting.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

He's still an NFL guy and I don't think you can mix oil and water.

...T_O_B

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

You can't put a porcupine in a barn and expect it to make licorice. huh?

Also, when did Rome say this? On TV or his radio show. I listened to 95% of his radio show today, I didn't hear anything like that.

Bill has won the Super Bowl.

He can go to any team he wants tomorrow. If he wants to coach college it is for a reason.

Pete Carrol is in paradise. He has complete control over the program, selects his players and danmed near as many as he wants. Does not have worry about huge ego's and salaries.

A perfect retirement job for a successful coach. Still in the business, considered a god if he wins and gets to look at all the hotties running around campus.

I doubt that any of it is possible, but I think he would be here for awhile if he actually came. End of tour regin. He is a young man, a lot of money for half the headaches if he can make it fly.

yea but how long did it take him 2 win the super bowl thoe??? :lol: i dont think he would take the job neways hes a NFL guy not a college guy,even if he did take a college job i think he would like 2 be close 2 home,but he looks like hes happy on the cbs pre game shows thoe :rollin

as a Dallas Cowboys fan i have to say No thanks to Cowherd comin to the Huskers, he's a good coach no doubt, but us Cowboys fans hate the Steelers and I personally cannot stand his ugly scowl, so to see him in Nebraska attire with that scowl will just automatically conjure up hate and I could never support him, I'd be callin for him to be fired the first time we lost a game. Plus, as others have pointed out, he would NOT be loyal to the Huskers because he would jump ship as soon as an NFL team comes callin, and they will.

Skersfan, I don't know about Pelini, but Gill has the reputation as being one of the nation's top recruiters. I am more concern about whether Gill is a good enough coach for NU -- and hopefully he is. But I am not that concern about him as a recruiter. But whoever is hired, we generally won't have as highly ranked recruiting classes -- which is fine with me -- because there will probably be 6-8 Nebraska kids recruited each year. And again that's fine with me.

I still think we're overlooking the obvious. Will a proven winner really come here for 1 to 1.2 million? I'm betting not.

I wish people would get over this. I'm sure Bill Cowher would be well aware that he could get more in the NFL. For some guys it really is about the game instead of the money you know.....

jeez...

I'm listening. What NFL coaches out there or ex. NFL coaches out there where it's really about the game instead of the money? Jimmy Johnson was a broadcaster until Miami made him a deal he couldn't refuse. Big Tuna was in broadcasting until Jerry Jones made him a deal he couldn't refuse. I can't think of any NFL guys where it's about the game rather than the money.

I still think we're overlooking the obvious. Will a proven winner really come here for 1 to 1.2 million? I'm betting not.

I wish people would get over this. I'm sure Bill Cowher would be well aware that he could get more in the NFL. For some guys it really is about the game instead of the money you know.....

jeez...

I'm listening. What NFL coaches out there or ex. NFL coaches out there where it's really about the game instead of the money? Jimmy Johnson was a broadcaster until Miami made him a deal he couldn't refuse. Big Tuna was in broadcasting until Jerry Jones made him a deal he couldn't refuse. I can't think of any NFL guys where it's about the game rather than the money.

If he want the job its his. the guy knows how to coach. end of discussion. even if he left in a few years, the program will be better then than it is now. I cant see any way that this is true though.

jeez...

Well, it's entirely possible that if it was all about money to him and nothing else, he wouldn't have retired from the steelers in the first place, right? After all, if he wants boatloads of money he could have stayed and collected a paycheck for about as long as he wanted it. He didn't. He left because he wanted to do something else.

Coaching at NU would qualify as 'something else'...yes?

And about those other guys... I note that the result of those 'offers they couldnt refuse' were stil to get them back into the game. And as broadcasters they were still involved with football as well. Granted, they may be more interested in pro ball than college but that would just be their preference. That's how they get their big money. But do you think for a minute that Johnson or Parcells wouldn't have hired on at Michigan or USC or Oklahoma if they had been offered a HC job there? If they wanted to coach more, I bet they would have. Even if it was for less money.

I doubt we'd ever have Cowher as a coach. I really don't know. But I think he COULD turn out quite favorably... He's a great coach. Definately knows how to win. I think people would like him once they had gotten to know him. No idea if he would be successful... but an interesting choice at any rate. Maybe he can get a lot more in the NFL , but he's got a lot already so he may not be as concerned with it as some people think.

I'm just a bit fed up with the assumption that he (or any other guy) couldn't possibly stoop down to poor little NU. We don't know what's on Cowher's mind.

Peace