The Search is Over!

I WILL NOT be happy if it's Turner Gill!

Why? He'll do fine.

Because T.O.'s last homeboy hook-up didn't exactly go swimmingly.

Turner Gill is a very different person than Frank Solich. I honestly believe that Turner will do very well.

:restore:restore

Yes, he talks about God WAAAAY more and probably won't knock up a UNL track athlete, but seriously folks, is this the best guy for the job? Maybe he's the only one that was interested.

All I know is that I'm going to be a whole lot more skeptical this time around than the last time.

I can't believe that he would have been the only guy interested. I DO believe he was the only guy TO was interested in. As far as I'm concerned he was the LAST person on my list of coaches to hire. At least if it's true TO ignored what Barry Switzer told him that staying in the family isn't all it's cracked up to be, since he learned the same thing at OU in the nineties. Oh ya, Switzer was kept around as a consultant at OU with Blake and that went well, think Gill will consult Nebraska's former great coach for advice the way Blake did? You bet he will and it will have the same results. Crap.

I'm having a hard time understanding what he has done that is so great that would automatically give him the Husker job? I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but he better have really good assistants to get it done here. Also, most kids are going to say.......................who???

He graduated from Nebraska, that's ALL he has done that puts him in the running for this job.

You might be surprised to find out that Gill actually coached at Nebraska during their dynasty years. But that experience probably has no significance.

:sarcasm

I knew that he coached here during those years, but he did coach under one of the greatest coaches of all time. I'm not going to go crazy over this hire, if in fact it is true, because I would rather have him win the WAC for 2 or 3 years straight and then come to NU instead of winning 5 games and coming. T.O. needs to make sure this next coach is the perfect coach for us because we can't do this again in 4 years.

If it is Gill, it sounds to me like TO had his mind made up before he even began the search. He only interviewed Pelini to throw a bone to all the Pelini lovers out there. You can also expect TO to be around until Gill begins to win at Nebraska (which will be a while) so that another AD can't come in and fire Gill, or else TO will hand pick another AD just like he did with Solich and now with Gill (If it's true) and endorsed Pederson. So far his other two picks or endorsement have been crap and if Gill is the coach he hires it shows TO is one stubborn person who is hellbent on providing coaching opportunities to his kids Frankie and Turner when they couldn't get another job like this and trying to create his "coaching tree". Some tree, this could tarnish TO's legacy when we realize it is the wrong decision. The older people will remember his teams but the younger generation will remember these coach hires. And we are all going to pay for TO's blind loyalty to his children by the product that is put on the field for years to come.

Just because he won at Buffalo, which is a program that had no where to go but up, in a crappy conference does not make him ready for the job at Nebraska. Notice that no other school in the nation has had Gill in their sites as a coaching candidate. Nebraska wouldn't have had him either except because he has a letter jacket and TO was the best man in his wedding. We'll be screwed.

Or it could be that Pelini blew this interview as he has blown others before. Overconfidence can kill you in an interview. And after the interview TO and HP decided to go onto Atlanta and see what the search firm had found.

:bonez

I'm having a hard time understanding what he has done that is so great that would automatically give him the Husker job? I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but he better have really good assistants to get it done here. Also, most kids are going to say.......................who???

He graduated from Nebraska, that's ALL he has done that puts him in the running for this job.

You might be surprised to find out that Gill actually coached at Nebraska during their dynasty years. But that experience probably has no significance.

Ya, QB coach, woopty do, if he was an OC on those teams then I'd be impressed, otherwise it isn't impressing.

I have a quick question: why is Pearlman involved? I could have swore he didn't get into coaching firings or hirings because that is the AD's job. Didn't he say that in his press conference? This is why I wanted him to go along with Pud. He was just as involved the last time when Solich was fired and Clownahan was hired, but he gets to keep his hands clean and throw the AD under the bus. If Gill or whoever doesn't work out, he again will get to keep his dirty little hands clean.

Ya, QB coach, woopty do, if he was an OC on those teams then I'd be impressed, otherwise it isn't impressing.

You're right. We need someone who's been an OC. Hey, Bill Callahan was an OC for a number of years, and he's been in the NFL! We better move fast before someone else beats us to him.

It all comes down in how you feel about Tom and his judgement. Tom spent more hours with Turner than his own wife during his Coaching career at Nebraska much less as a player.

If he chooses Turner it won't be because he shined during the interview process alone. It will be because he is the same person Tom has known for a long time.

IMO Turner is someone who knows Nebraska. Knows how to win. Knows how to recruit. Knows how to run a clean program.

AND has the experience around National Champion Teams to understand what it takes to become a Champion. He has been there through all of Toms Nebraska Champion games. As a player and a Coach...that experience should count for something.

If Pellini is chosen I feel it would be a good choice as well. BUT how LONG would he stay? If he doesn't have success immediately he is gone. If he does has success immediatedly I think a Pro team will take him. He is a very good Coach, even excellent, but do we want someone for just a few years.

People seem to want a NAME Coach. Perhaps we can get John Madden, Barry Switzer, Don Shula, Lou Holtz, LLoyd Carr, or heck why not Jimmy Johnson (hey he is alive)

I want someone who will MAKE his name at Nebraska! Will stay here because he wants to, dreams to, desires to. I want someone who EARNS his respect AT Nebraska not somewhere else.

Oh heck lets just get Tom back with Turner as his Assistant and some other people none else has ever heard of.

You're right. We need someone who's been an OC. Hey, Bill Callahan was an OC for a number of years, and he's been in the NFL! We better move fast before someone else beats us to him.

Ya, I said and OC on those 90's teams and if you knew any history of my posts I do not want an NFL guy either. Resorting to calling me a Callahan lover when you have no other comeback. Intelligent. Kind of like a Republican calling every Democrat a Hillary lover.

It all comes down in how you feel about Tom and his judgement. Tom spent more hours with Turner than his own wife during his Coaching career at Nebraska much less as a player.

If he chooses Turner it won't be because he shined during the interview process alone. It will be because he is the same person Tom has known for a long time.

IMO Turner is someone who knows Nebraska. Knows how to win. Knows how to recruit. Knows how to run a clean program.

AND has the experience around National Champion Teams to understand what it takes to become a Champion. He has been there through all of Toms Nebraska Champion games. As a player and a Coach...that experience should count for something.

If Pellini is chosen I feel it would be a good choice as well. BUT how LONG would he stay? If he doesn't have success immediately he is gone. If he does has success immediatedly I think a Pro team will take him. He is a very good Coach, even excellent, but do we want someone for just a few years.

People seem to want a NAME Coach. Perhaps we can get John Madden, Barry Switzer, Don Shula, Lou Holtz, LLoyd Carr, or heck why not Jimmy Johnson (hey he is alive)

I want someone who will MAKE his name at Nebraska! Will stay here because he wants to, dreams to, desires to. I want someone who EARNS his respect AT Nebraska not somewhere else.

Oh heck lets just get Tom back with Turner as his Assistant and some other people none else has ever heard of.

Great post...........................I almost feel inspired now. :thumbs

Ya, I said and OC on those 90's teams and if you knew any history of my posts I do not want an NFL guy either. Resorting to calling me a Callahan lover when you have no other comeback. Intelligent. Kind of like a Republican calling every Democrat a Hillary lover.

I know, dude. I was just giving you a hard time. You're right, calling someone a Callahan guy is below the belt. :cheers