The Search is Over!

If it is Gill, it sounds to me like TO had his mind made up before he even began the search. He only interviewed Pelini to throw a bone to all the Pelini lovers out there. You can also expect TO to be around until Gill begins to win at Nebraska (which will be a while) so that another AD can't come in and fire Gill, or else TO will hand pick another AD just like he did with Solich and now with Gill (If it's true) and endorsed Pederson. So far his other two picks or endorsement have been crap and if Gill is the coach he hires it shows TO is one stubborn person who is hellbent on providing coaching opportunities to his kids Frankie and Turner when they couldn't get another job like this and trying to create his "coaching tree". Some tree, this could tarnish TO's legacy when we realize it is the wrong decision. The older people will remember his teams but the younger generation will remember these coach hires. And we are all going to pay for TO's blind loyalty to his children by the product that is put on the field for years to come.

Just because he won at Buffalo, which is a program that had no where to go but up, in a crappy conference does not make him ready for the job at Nebraska. Notice that no other school in the nation has had Gill in their sites as a coaching candidate. Nebraska wouldn't have had him either except because he has a letter jacket and TO was the best man in his wedding. We'll be screwed.

If Gill doesn't work out, who really wants to throw somewhat of a Husker Icon under the bus? Gill wouldn't be a choice of mine, but I will support him if he's named the HC. However, it does still come down to how much time he'll be afforded. Even TO said in year 4 it was good that he won his bowl game because if not he would have been fired. I don't think we can just turn off all expectations because one of our own is coming home.

Y'all do realize that If it is Gill. He will have TO watching over his shoulder and guiding him here for awhile...right. This will be ALMOST like having TO in there...IMHO.

No, TO has said numerous times that he would never look over a coach's shoulder like that. He doesn't believe in that kind of micro-management style of leadership. He was the same when he was in the government. But if Gill asks for help, then TO would probably be glad to help a bit if he has time.

Plus, if you look closely you can see Pelini folded over in TO's bag last night.

doc474b886110525764884248.jpg

I don't mean in a "micro-management" fashion. You know they talk all the time now...right? TO will be available to mentor Gill...and Gill will take advantage...

Sure, but the phrase "looking over his shoulder" is the exact phrase that TO used in his press conference in describing the kind of micro-management that he does not believe in, so you can see why I interpreted it that way. I agree that TO would have input, but he would have input because Gill would solicit it. That's the difference.

Agreed

If Gill doesn't work out, who really wants to throw somewhat of a Husker Icon under the bus? Gill wouldn't be a choice of mine, but I will support him if he's named the HC. However, it does still come down to how much time he'll be afforded. Even TO said in year 4 it was good that he won his bowl game because if not he would have been fired. I don't think we can just turn off all expectations because one of our own is coming home.

EXACTLY. I'm afraid it will happen though. I can see it happening....

The folks on 1620 the zone yesterday day were saying how this search was so well organized and blah blah blah. If this is the end of it and Gill is the coach it was not organized well as only candidates right now have been said to be interviewed and they both come from Nebraska ties. I for one will have a sour taste about TO if this is the way it went because his blind loyalty began this shindig and it could keep it going.

I'm having a hard time understanding what he has done that is so great that would automatically give him the Husker job? I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but he better have really good assistants to get it done here. Also, most kids are going to say.......................who???

He graduated from Nebraska, that's ALL he has done that puts him in the running for this job.

I WILL NOT be happy if it's Turner Gill!

Why? He'll do fine.

Because T.O.'s last homeboy hook-up didn't exactly go swimmingly.

Turner Gill is a very different person than Frank Solich. I honestly believe that Turner will do very well.

:restore:restore

Yes, he talks about God WAAAAY more and probably won't knock up a UNL track athlete, but seriously folks, is this the best guy for the job? Maybe he's the only one that was interested.

All I know is that I'm going to be a whole lot more skeptical this time around than the last time.

The thing to remember everyone that if Gill is in fact our next coach we need to give him some time and not automatically go crazy here. I know that I don't have a clue how he would do here and no one else knows either. He may come right in and with the right staff do very well, but I was/am hoping for a bigger name.

Turner Gill is a very different person than Frank Solich. I honestly believe that Turner will do very well.

:restore:restore

I agree. Here's the way I see it. TO was looking for someone with the raw charectoristics that he could put into a program that to be honest still has a lot going for it. IMO TO will stick around long enough to groom Turner into the coach he has the ability to become. Don't forget that Turner was also one of TO's best recruiters, has always been spoken highly of while at NU and at UB, and has been described by many to be very intelligent. He's not a firey guy like Pelini but he may have more substance. Fire can get you a lot but if that's all you have then sooner or later you will have a down Saturday and you will not be able to overcome it. Turner may have the skills to build a solid foundation, pick coaches that can do the same and still have a firey guy on staff for motivation. Sometimes the cheerleading is best left to the assistant coaches and not the HC.

I'm having a hard time understanding what he has done that is so great that would automatically give him the Husker job? I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but he better have really good assistants to get it done here. Also, most kids are going to say.......................who???

He graduated from Nebraska, that's ALL he has done that puts him in the running for this job.

You might be surprised to find out that Gill actually coached at Nebraska during their dynasty years. But that experience probably has no significance.

:sarcasm