The Search is Over!

First of all, it may not even be Gill anyway.

However, all of this handwringing is just nuts. Many factors go into making a coach successful. Not all successful coaches at high visibility programs had head coaching experience elsewhere (Stoops, Osborne, Alvarez).

Gill represents a coach who spent the majority of his career at Nebraska. He observed and experienced Osborne's successes as well as Solich's failures (although Solich did have some success). He understands the demands at Nebraska and the traditions that are important to Nebraska fans and the Nebraska family.

A huge factor in the successfulness of a particular coach is the staff he surrounds himself with. Are they compatible, capable and in-tune with the head coach and their fellow assistants. That was the key to Osbornes's success. The Solich thing may have turned out differently had he been allowed to pick his staff to begin with. While his staff was successful under Osborne, things changed under Solich. Once Solich made staff changes you could see that maybe things were starting to turnaround, but he wasn't given the time to see it through. We'll never know how Solich's new staff would have done.

If T.O. chooses Gill, his lack of head coach experience would not bother me at all. There are plenty of coaches out there with a lot more head coaching experience who wouldn't be the right pick at NU.

Strange, Osborne said just last night that the interviews weren't over and he HAD NOT hired a head coach yet. I think this is thread is just another made up rumor.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10194519

"Asked if he had hired a coach, Osborne said no. Asked if he was finished with interviews, he said no."

Who knows....I hope it's all just rumor and there are a couple other candidates to be interviewed...UGHH, I have to actually do some work!

Anyone who is in a position to hire people knows that when possible you hire knowns over unknowns.

Other coaches may have done well at their universities, but that doesn't mean that they can or will do well here. Spurrier had Florida set up as a perennial contender, South Carolina, not so much -- not terrible, but not NC material either. Same with Lou Holtz and Notre Dame, Mike Price (now at UTEP), Steve Kragthorpe did wonders at Tulsa and hasn't impressed anyone at Louisville (though if the kids haven't lost faith in him I think that one will turn around next year), etc. Knowing that, everything becomes and educated guess. We could always look at coaches that have done well at multiple schools, but we don't want to be a step on the coaching carousel, so that won't work. What's left? Hire a known entity that understands the toughness required of Nebraska football teams, and has demonstrated the ability to teach that toughness to others while at Nebraska, and has proven that he can turn a (granted, small time) football program around by instilling that toughness.

I don't envy Solich's position when he took over. It's always tough to come out of the ranks into an upper management position, because the members of the ranks look at you as "just one of the guys", and the appropriate respect for the authority of your position doesn't exist and is difficult to obtain without alienating the people that you need to work for you. I don't believe that either Pelini or Gill would have done well if they were put in Solich's shoes. Callahan's tenure at NU will ensure that the next coach, Nebraska ties or not, won't be put in that same situation.

I have no problems with Gill, I'm not really excited about Pelini, but I would take a "wait and see" attitude rather than taking up arms against him.

A huge factor in the successfulness of a particular coach is the staff he surrounds himself with. Are they compatible, capable and in-tune with the head coach and their fellow assistants. That was the key to Osbornes's success. The Solich thing may have turned out differently had he been allowed to pick his staff to begin with. While his staff was successful under Osborne, things changed under Solich. Once Solich made staff changes you could see that maybe things were starting to turnaround, but he wasn't given the time to see it through. We'll never know how Solich's new staff would have done.

Touche, salesman.

Gill knows how to recruit? I'm pretty sure he was on Solich's staff. I was under the impression that Solich's STAFF along with Solich wasn't very good at recruiting.

Yes Gill knows how to recruit. He's is a great recruiter. I know people who were recruited by Gill, he was one of Osborne's top recruiters.

Gill knows how to recruit? I'm pretty sure he was on Solich's staff. I was under the impression that Solich's STAFF along with Solich wasn't very good at recruiting.

Yes Gill knows how to recruit. He's is a great recruiter. I know people who were recruited by Gill, he was one of Osborne's top recruiters.

He did win some recruiting awards while on Osborne's staff so I will give him that.