I certainly doubt that he insisted that these coaches be hired...BUT...I'm sure that he took into consideration who may be hired as assistants by a particular coaching candidate and that it had A LOT to do with whom he chose as the coach.

Obviously, the net effect is the same.

Maybe is was not so much Dr. Tom telling Pelini who to hire as much as Pelini discussing the people he would look at for his staff. Maybe Pelini said, I liked working with Brown or Cotton or Gill or whoever and discussed how these people would work in his staff.

When Dr. Tom talked to Grobe, maybe he said here is my staff and Dr. Tom just asked about other coaches that might hasve ties to Nebraska in the past and Grobe did not know these guys or did not want to take that path.

I do no believe that Dr. Tom told Pelini who to hire, though he might have had some input based on Pelini asking for input. Grobe is not a bad guy for not having that mentality and he did not get the job...no harm and nothing against him.

After all, Brown did say that Pelini told him back in 03 that if he was the new Head coach he wanted Brown on his staff. Pelini is following through with things he talked about back then...I am excitied to see the changes and I truely hope this tunrs out good for Coach Pelini and the team. I believe it will.

This was my thought as well. When Bo was here four years ago I think he saw what he liked in some of the personel that was here and wants to bring them back.

I have no doubt how ever if someone isn't getting the job done the will be replaced.

You have to admit, pre Callahan the Huskers were a complete team and for the most part, and I know there were some exceptions, they supported one another. Not to say they don't now , but I think it was more of a brotherhood rather something you have to do because it is your team mate type of thing. Unless you have been a part of an organization like that it is hard to explain.

Something else I would liek to add if I may.

We gotta move forward and support the choice that was made. Are there going to be mistakes and bumps along the way, heck yeah, but I feel we have someone as a head coach that isn't afraid to make a change if somehting isn't working the way it needs to. Time will tell.

Lets just let our new coach and who ever he hires breath a little bit and see what happens.

Something to think about is Pelini appears to not only inspire his players but who's to say he can't bring his staff to a new level as well.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/10507458

• Scuttlebutt: Wake Forest's Jim Grobe dropped out of the running at Nebraska after being told he would have to hire certain assistant coaches. If a guy is going to make a career move like that, he ought to be able to hire his own staff. Bo Pelini, though, will hire several old Nebraska assistants.

If this is true it would appear that nobody other then Turner or Bo had any chance at this job. No experienced "non-Nebraska" coach would agree to that. That is just kind of odd that T.O. would make that demand on someone. I see the point of not having whole-sale changes and maybe having some people around that know what the Husker Nation is like.(I see where T.O. is coming from) However if you ask me to actually tell the guy being interviewed that he has to hire certain Assistant Coaches is kind of lame. :madash

I'm saying this is true because it was also reported in the OWH and the JournalStar they just didn't add the coaches names to it.

It also brings up that T.O. said he was going to take a backseat to the Coach, but wouldn't telling someone who they have to hire mean you are in control?

Also it seems like the DE/TE that just accepted the offer that T.O. extended to him would have been a perfect kid to have walk-on. I ask this why did it take so long for someone to finally offer this kid and why are we the only school that has done it? :dunno And why does T.O. get to extend offers now that we have a Head Coach? <_<

I just find these 2 things kind of odd and hopefully T.O. will now go back to just being the AD and let Bo do what he was hired to do.

Don't give me any crap for questioning T.O. :worship because at the end of the day he is just a man and his actions can be questioned. This isn't the first time and it won't be the last.

Hmmm very interesting if this is true. I have stated all along that I was "worried" about Dr Tom having too much control over a team. If in fact he did tell Grobe this then I would 1. Be worried if I were bo and 2. Wonder if Dr Tom will actually let Bo coach HIS team or just be a "figure head"?

I agree that Pelini is bringing in staff he got to know in 2003. You can't really knock a staff that went 10-3 before PUD did his thing. (Maybe they should check the water in the AD's office. :dunno )

Grobe had alot of factors tied to him including wanting to bring in his entire staff. While that seems to contradict what TO said about not telling the head coach what staff to hire the fact is that TO didn't hire Grobe. I'm sure TO wanted to get an idea what assistants the candidates would bring in and made his hire partially based on that. If you don't hire Grobe then you don't have to worry about what assistants he brings in.

I like that T.O. wants to have plenty of people formerly associated with Nebraska on the coahing staff. I think it's a worthy end. But if he's ordering the HC to hire those people, it could be a problem. When you have assistants who know they owe their jobs to T.O. and not to Bo, you're just asking for loyalty problems.

I think Bo intended all along to bring in Nebraska folks on his staff and that T.O. is most likely not telling him to hire, but I think people are also correct to be concerned about it.

Just Sunday Tom was the smartest guy in Nebraska and now he is not. Tom can extend offers because he is Tom. I am positive that Tom and Bo had a good understanding of each others expectations before Bo accepted the position. Tom has always been honest, up front and a man of integrity. I don't think he would just blind side his new coach.

This offer is much bigger than one kid, it is about sending a message to every kid in Nebraska. BTW I hope this kid does not read Husker Boards. It looks like the fans don't want him and that could be crushing to a teenager.

This offer is much bigger than one kid, it is about sending a message to every kid in Nebraska. BTW I hope this kid does not read Husker Boards. It looks like the fans don't want him and that could be crushing to a teenager.

What kid are you talking about?

He's referring to the kid (Micah Kreikemeier) from West Point Ne. Although I have no idea where he got that Husker fans didn't want the kid here?!! Although it's great to hire instate but we ALSO have the "walk-on program". I just hope we don't go offering schollies to every Nebraska Red Blood out there!

Another thing that T.O. has been quoted on that I find bothersome is the statement he made about taking 8-9 Nebraska kids every recruiting class. What if there aren’t that many that can play D1 football? Do they take kids then just because they are in-state guys? Also are Western Iowa kids included in that 8-9? I just don’t like the fact that he placed a number out there.

For the record I'm excited about the hire that was made I just don't like that "requirements" may have been made.

As far as not wanting that kid, I never said that I didn't want him to come here, I just said that he may have been a better Walk-on then scholarship player.IMO

Also don't give me the "I hope he doesn't read the message boards" crap either. People have been second guessing recruits since recruiting rankings and message boards started. Does it make it right? I don't know but as long as it doesn't get personal I see nothing wrong with it.

Another thing that T.O. has been quoted on that I find bothersome is the statement he made about taking 8-9 Nebraska kids every recruiting class. What if there aren’t that many that can play D1 football? Do they take kids then just because they are in-state guys? Also are Western Iowa kids included in that 8-9? I just don’t like the fact that he placed a number out there.

For the record I'm excited about the hire that was made I just don't like that "requirements" may have been made.

As far as not wanting that kid, I never said that I didn't want him to come here, I just said that he may have been a better Walk-on then scholarship player.IMO

Also don't give me the "I hope he doesn't read the message boards" crap either. People have been second guessing recruits since recruiting rankings and message boards started. Does it make it right? I don't know but as long as it doesn't get personal I see nothing wrong with it.

that comment suprised me, and I tend to agree with you. I think Nebraska could have done a better job with this the past couple of years, especially with the Millard kids...but if there isn't 8-9 quality players, you shouldn't be handstrung to this. Some would say that one of Frank Soliche's donwfalls was offering too many in state players (yet of course he failed to offer Danny Woodhead prior to being fired, different argument, different day).

IMO I dont see TO telling BO who to hire and who not too, that will end up a mistake in the long run if that happened.. As much as I love the old husker coachs coming back I also wouldnt mind if BO brought some guys from LSU here or maybe some other top coachs here like some from OU or what have you. I just see BO as getting the coaches he wants an can win with not playing to with TO wants..

Brown I am ok with cause I really like the guy and I think he is really good coach, but cotton I am not so sure of the man got canned an make some remarks about Neb as did BO I know but Cotton hasent done much since he left here an he wasent that good when he was here.. I just see it as its BOs team let him do what he needs to do to run it!!

Having a goal to try to take 8-9 homegrown kids on scholarship each year is fine. Having a requirement to do so is not. I haven't read anything that would make me think that TO would make this a hard and fast requirement, and in either event, I don't believe that he's going to be micromanaging the football program. Even if he was, however, he's no fool, and I doubt that he or anyone else on the staff would compromise on the quality of recruits just to get an extra Nebraska kid on the team. They're going to pursue the players that they think are the best fit for the program.

This seems like a silly thing to get overly stressed out over at this stage - it's way too early to draw any firm conclusions about anything, so just wait and see.