Not NU's MNC, but it can help

NE Statepaper

It May Not Be Nebraska's National Title, But Could It Help the Huskers?

Why Pelini coaching LSU one last time wouldn't be so bad

by Samuel McKewon

December 03, 2007

Good Tuesday morning from the center of the universe, where the sun has risen, but it's got a little black spot on it.

Bo Pelini takes the Nebraska job, and now he wants to go back to Louisiana State for a cup of coffee and the BCS National Championship game against Ohio State. That has Cornhusker fans feeling a little spurned; why wouldn't Pelini want to spend those few weeks before and after Christmas walking around town, making connections, and getting a feel for his team and staff?

Because he's a competitive guy and he wants to feel like he's earned that national title ring, should the Tigers beat his alma mater. That's why. And because he can do it without hurting the overall NU cause; if a recruiting dead period hits on Dec. 17, 2007, and it runs until Jan. 1, 2008, there simply won't be that much to do.

Know this: If LSU stuffs OSU in New Orleans on Jan. 7, and Pelini's the architect of a big victory, that's going to look very attractive to undecided recruits and those committed elsewhere.

Is a win in that game better than Pelini being on the road for a week after Jan. 1? That's the real question.

I'd argue that, yes, it is. Nothing sells like success.

You can really look at it two ways. Either Pelini is "officially" involved in that game, or he's "unofficially" involved. Which would you prefer?

If he says "thanks but no thanks" to LSU Coach Les Miles, do you honestly believe he'd be completely divorced from that situation? A competitive guy like Pelini? You don't think he'd field a phone call or two, or review some OSU film, or motivate one of his players in a text message? You don't think that, while he packs up his house in Baton Rouge, he doesn't stop by the football offices?

Come on.

Coaches do these things now even when they're preparing their own team for a bowl game. Coaches talk. Coaches share strategy. Coaches do other coaches small favors. That's why it's called a "coaching fraternity."

Casual football fans like to bring up the Mark Richt debacle. Richt himself likes to bring it up. He was Florida State's offensive coordinator in 2000, when the Seminoles fell through the back door into the 2001 BCS title game against Oklahoma. Richt had accepted the head coaching job at Georgia, but chose to help FSU against the Sooners. The results were diastrous; Florida State scored 2 points - and that was on a defensive safety - in 14-2 loss. Richt later said he had done both schools a disservice.

Florida State, maybe. Georgia seemed to survive, though. The Bulldogs finished 8-4 in 2002 and 13-1 in 2003. Who in Nebraska wouldn't accept those results?

Again - different problems demand different solutions. If NU was in a bowl game, it wouldn't work. If LSU was playing in the Outback Bowl, it wouldn't matter. But under these specific circumstances, it's a gamble that Nebraskans should accept.

Good article. I'd forgotten about Richt.

The way I see this, there is far more that can go wrong for LSU than for Nebraska in this scenario.

But then again - Ohio State is not that good this year. If the LSU offense can score 21 points, I see them winning, and I see the whole thing as a good advertisement for Bo and the program.

Good article. I'd forgotten about Richt.

The way I see this, there is far more that can go wrong for LSU than for Nebraska in this scenario.

But then again - Ohio State is not that good this year. If the LSU offense can score 21 points, I see them winning, and I see the whole thing as a good advertisement for Bo and the program.

:yeah

I agree. I hope LSU wins, and that the defense is really strong. That would be the best advertising for NU. I can't wait to watch the game.

Funny how being the OC for FSU and only scoring two points didn't hurt Richt at Georgia. Like I said in other posts, it will not make a bit of difference to NU if Bo is successful in the NC game. It will make LSU look good, though. I don't think it makes sense to rent out our coach to help another program at what could be our expense. Wish Bo would talk to Richt.

I hope he doesn't have the nerve to wear an LSU shirt on the sideline.

Funny how being the OC for FSU and only scoring two points didn't hurt Richt at Georgia. Like I said in other posts, it will not make a bit of difference to NU if Bo is successful in the NC game. It will make LSU look good, though. I don't think it makes sense to rent out our coach to help another program at what could be our expense. Wish Bo would talk to Richt.

Bo coaching for the championship is an advertisement for Neb-football and would be good for recruiting.

Ohio State wins with tough D, playing field-position, and an OK offense that doesn't blow it's leg-off. They have a shot of winning but aren't likely to put up many points. I like the chances of Bo looking good in this.

I think this will be good for Nebraska. Great advertiseing cause you know they will talk about BO being the Husker coach a few times during the game.. Everyone has there own opinions on if this is good or not but its not our choice its BO's and TO's and they made what they thought was the best choice...

Think about what you would want if the roles were reversed and we were in the NC and BO was going to another school to coach.. I can bet most of us if not all would want him to coach that one last game if he could.. IMO this will be fine nothing to do here during that time and when its over he will focus on the Huskers!!

I think this will be good for Nebraska. Great advertiseing cause you know they will talk about BO being the Husker coach a few times during the game.. Everyone has there own opinions on if this is good or not but its not our choice its BO's and TO's and they made what they thought was the best choice...

Think about what you would want if the roles were reversed and we were in the NC and BO was going to another school to coach.. I can bet most of us if not all would want him to coach that one last game if he could.. IMO this will be fine nothing to do here during that time and when its over he will focus on the Huskers!!

:yeah

All Husker fans will be cheering for LSU! Good Karma!

On the other side of the coin, how much will it hurt if OSU blows out Bo's "D"???

I doubt it would happen, but McKewon didn't bring up that point.

Actually, I don't think it hurts that much. The opinion will probably be that Bo was distracted by his new job - but I can't see that as hurting the Huskers. About the only harm it could cause would be toward potential recruits or the confidence in the current players.

As to the former, I doubt that one bad game would influence them as much as the kind of defense Bo runs - attacking, flying to the ball, etc.

As to the latter, most, if not all, of them won't care at all - they'll be waiting to see what Bo's like on the practice field.

You really expect him not to? <_<

It would be funny if he wore a Nebraska shirt..

Or maybe layers..OSU (Alma Mater) undershirt covered by a Nebraska shirt (revealed only after the final gun) covered by a purple LSU shirt.. :box

You really expect him not to? <_<

It would be funny if he wore a Nebraska shirt..

Or maybe layers..OSU (Alma Mater) undershirt covered by a Nebraska shirt (revealed only after the final gun) covered by a purple LSU shirt.. :box

I also wonder what he'll wear. I'm guessing he'll wear his LSU gear. If I was an LSU fan and he wore Husker gear on the sidelines I'd freak out.