QB Sean Renfree

kozzman555

To be fair, the teams he was shown against on that video had tiny linemen and LB's, so Renfree knew he couldn't get lit up by anybody on the other side.

In the state title game, he had a scramble and did a hook slide, which I thought was kinda weak. But on the other hand it shows he has the smarts to know when it's worth it to put your head down and go for it.

Whoever said he looks like Colt Brennan was right on. When he throws the short, quick routes, he does sling it out there like Brennan. On deeper throws he has to wind it up a bit more.

However, he is very accurate and very decisive in his passes.

NU should consider offering to one of his wideout buddies. Both #80 Brandon Hirniese (6-2, 180, 74 catches, 1494 yards) and #17 Andy Wilder (6-3, 190, 44 catches, 861 yards) could develop into very good possession type receivers at the D-I level. Both catch the ball very well and are tough (both played defense). NU should make it a package deal to sway Renfree.

To be fair, the teams he was shown against on that video had tiny linemen and LB's, so Renfree knew he couldn't get lit up by anybody on the other side.

In the state title game, he had a scramble and did a hook slide, which I thought was kinda weak. But on the other hand it shows he has the smarts to know when it's worth it to put your head down and go for it.

Whoever said he looks like Colt Brennan was right on. When he throws the short, quick routes, he does sling it out there like Brennan. On deeper throws he has to wind it up a bit more.

However, he is very accurate and very decisive in his passes.

NU should consider offering to one of his wideout buddies. Both #80 Brandon Hirniese (6-2, 180, 74 catches, 1494 yards) and #17 Andy Wilder (6-3, 190, 44 catches, 861 yards) could develop into very good possession type receivers at the D-I level. Both catch the ball very well and are tough (both played defense). NU should make it a package deal to sway Renfree.

i believe that was me who made the Colt Brennan comparison

I am glad to see we offered Renfree as obviously he is a solid prospect. Would love to see him at NU! That being said, I did get a chance to see him at the Elite 11 camp in southern CA back in July and unfortunately he did not stand out against the competition. In the video provided in this thread he appears fast but I would be shocked if he is faster than Gabbert. Renfree is listed as a 4.5 forty vs. Gabbert at 4.65 on Rivals...I don't believe that. Scout also has Renfree faster than Gabbert. From what I saw Renfree does not appear to be that fast and I wonder if in the video he is playing weaker competition. At the camp Renfree won the award for Most Likely To Succeed In College. He appears to be very smart and I didn't see him look bad...he just never looked awesome like some of the others at the camp did at times. My guess is he would play smart (like a Zac Taylor) but be able to gain some yards on the ground as well. He would control clock and ball well I would think. I see him as very consistent player who will keep you in the game and perhaps let playmakers and defense win you the game. He could be a good fit here. Just my 2 cents on what I observed back in July.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'd take the second coming of Zac Taylor....(with speed)

I think the Zac Taylor comparison is better than Colt Brennan. Actually Brennan was at this same camp so I got to see him there as well. Renfree is still raw...he is going to be able to throw deeper than ZT was capable of.

Actually, I'll say Renfree will be like a cross between Zac (smart, heady) and Sam Keller (pocket passer, good gun)...imagine a lighter Sam Keller with ZT smarts. There you go...I saw him at some practices and have him pegged for the rest of his career! :lol:

DJR, high school kids do reps at 185 on the bench when they go to these combines. Tebow was just a freak of nature, still is.

Also, no one needs to get Renfree confused with Tebow at all. I know his listed 40 times is at 4.5, but I will be the first to tell you that is off. Renfree is mobile when he needs to be, but don't confuse him with a great or even a good mobile QB. Straight pocket passer, but he is a good one.

I'd personally prefer Tyler Wilson, but with Arkansas getting back into the mix, who knows with that kid.

• 3 weeks later...

Has the arm strength to make all of the throws. Has a nice release and solid footwork.

Solid Footwork?

He has a strange follow through the way he raises his right leg after he throws..Reminds me of the time I tried to teach my wife to throw a spiral.

Sometimes coaches have kids do this to stop them from throwing off their back foot.

Rumor going around that Renfree's dad is pissed at Watson. Supposedly Watson called up Renfree after Spano's committ and left a vm saying that Renfree might want to schedule a visit somewhere else. :dunno

I know we are QB "rich" at the moment but should we really be turning away a quality QB if he truly wants to come here? Maybe Renfree isn't afraid of competition.

Rumor going around that Renfree's dad is pissed at Watson. Supposedly Watson called up Renfree after Spano's committ and left a vm saying that Renfree might want to schedule a visit somewhere else. :dunno

Well it's not like Renfree doesn't have other offers on the table. I understand his dad being upset but that's how this recruiting business works I guess. Atleast he didn't bring them all the way up and then tell him, "thanks but no thanks". If in fact this rumor is true. Besides with Spano here now, I wouldn't think Renfree would commit anyways.