SIGNED: QB Kody Spano

I am glad, I knew he would pick NU but it is always good to have it official. I can't wait for the competitions the next couple of years at QB. Now no more mention of Blaine "I will not pull a Josh Freeman" Gabbert

in all fairness gabbert didn't pull a josh freeman, yes he did decomit but he did it in a much different way.

Loved the video on this kid. Passes looked sharp and when he tucked the ball down to run he ran hard and finished his runs. A couple more things I like about him:

Texas kid.

Coach's son.

Spread option QB.

Coming at semester to get a head start.

Pretty exiting to get a good QB commit. Welcome aboard Kody!

here is part of an article in the OWH

"Talking with everyone that I did, they all really welcomed me," the quarterback said. "That was a big thing for me. I felt comfortable with everyone there."

Spano arrived Friday night after his family, which drove from Texas. They all went to dinner with Watson, his wife, Anita, and son, Adam, a freshman defensive back at Nebraska, Athletic Director Tom Osborne, his wife, Nancy, and other NU coaches.

Osborne, in particular, made quite an impression on Spano's father, a coach in Texas for 16 years. Kody Spano's grandfather played for Paul "Bear" Bryant at Alabama, and Kyle Spano considers Bryant and Osborne, the former NU coach of 25 years, atop his personal list of influences.

with that kind of influence i think that anyone would have committed

"It was a humbling experience for me," Kyle Spano said. "Just having an opportunity to meet a great man of such high character and high integrity. He's a fantastic person to be around. It's evident that things are on the turn for Nebraska football."

Spano and his father also spoke with Pelini by phone. Kody Spano described the new Nebraska coach as an "awesome guy, very open."

"He told me I could call him if I needed anything," Kody Spano said.

Said Kyle Spano: "I can see, just by visiting with him, that he's definitely a player's coach. He's a guy that builds his program around kids having fun. But then, there's structure there. When he talks to you, it's very spirited, a lot of enthusiasm."

here is part of an article in the OWH

"Talking with everyone that I did, they all really welcomed me," the quarterback said. "That was a big thing for me. I felt comfortable with everyone there."

Spano arrived Friday night after his family, which drove from Texas. They all went to dinner with Watson, his wife, Anita, and son, Adam, a freshman defensive back at Nebraska, Athletic Director Tom Osborne, his wife, Nancy, and other NU coaches.

Osborne, in particular, made quite an impression on Spano's father, a coach in Texas for 16 years. Kody Spano's grandfather played for Paul "Bear" Bryant at Alabama, and Kyle Spano considers Bryant and Osborne, the former NU coach of 25 years, atop his personal list of influences.

with that kind of influence i think that anyone would have committed

"It was a humbling experience for me," Kyle Spano said. "Just having an opportunity to meet a great man of such high character and high integrity. He's a fantastic person to be around. It's evident that things are on the turn for Nebraska football."

Spano and his father also spoke with Pelini by phone. Kody Spano described the new Nebraska coach as an "awesome guy, very open."

"He told me I could call him if I needed anything," Kody Spano said.

Said Kyle Spano: "I can see, just by visiting with him, that he's definitely a player's coach. He's a guy that builds his program around kids having fun. But then, there's structure there. When he talks to you, it's very spirited, a lot of enthusiasm."

Great quotes there. :thumbs

Huskers land QB commit

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 - 03:58:56 pm CST

Kody Spano liked his weekend visit to Nebraska so much he’s coming back again next weekend ... to move in.

Nebraska has added a quarterback to its 2008 recruiting class, a commitment from Spano coming over the weekend.

“I love the people there,” he said. “I felt really, really welcome. I felt like they really wanted me there.”

Spano is enrolling for spring semester classes at Nebraska, allowing him to participate in spring ball.

The Huskers are starting to rebound from a month filled with de-commitments. Their class is back up to 17 oral commits after shrinking to 15 in mid-December.

Nebraska could add more to its list in several days. At least nine recruits will visit the campus next weekend.

Spano is 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds, a dual-threat quarterback from Stephenville, Texas. He suffered a shoulder injury during his senior season, but still ended with impressive numbers, throwing for 2,263 yards and 23 touchdowns.

Originally committed to Oklahoma State, Spano was expecting to report there for the spring semester, but was told by coach Mike Gundy that a scholarship wouldn’t be available then.

He was the lone visitor to Nebraska’s campus this weekend, admittedly “kind of different,” but also allowing him one-on-one time with different Husker assistants.

Though Husker head coach Bo Pelini is in New Orleans finishing his duties at LSU, Spano was especially appreciative of the time he spent in the office of NU offensive coordinator Shawn Watson.

“Just drawing up X’s and O’s and talking football,” Spano said. “Just going through step-by-step what we do.”

And he has no worries about joining a Nebraska program that just underwent a coaching change.

“No, not at all,” he said, “not with Coach Pelini coming in.”

Reach Brian Christopherson at 473-7439 or bchristopherson@journalstar.com.