CU Posters Take

this post needs to be sent to the Buffs board....it don't belong on a Husker board.

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

The guy is just trying to find out what the few Colorado fans who post on our board think of Watson. He was their OC before coming to Lincoln. Don't see any harm in that. Besides, what else do we have to do?

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

You can take this for what its worth, but here is the short version: After you guys beat us 30-3 in boulder in 2005, I was alarmed at what bill Callahan was doing in Lincoln. After he hired Shawn Watson, who we had just fired, I stopped worrying.

Longer version. first, Shawn Watson is not imaginative, either in game-planning or play-calling. When you run the west coast offense, as we did and you have the last few years, the point is to keep teams off balance and beat them to the punch, as bill walsh used to say. In my section at folsom we used to predict what play we would run, and usually we were right. He never ran more than 5 or 6 plays in a game, 10 tops. The year we beat you 62-36, we ran exactly five plays: a toss right, a counter back to the left, and a fake toss trap up the middle, and a couple of bootlegs. Thats it. We got away with it because we had an offensive line that was cutting people down like ripe wheat, and Chris Brown running through the holes. But teams notice when you only run 5 plays. The last year he was here, 2005, he would run mainly three running plays, a counter play, a stretch play, and a run right up the middle. Our passing game was all bootlegs. by the end of the year, teams would just have their DE run straight at where the qb was going to be after the playfake, and level him. Second, he can't exploit matchups. In the passing game, he was simply unable to get fast guys into open space, big guys isolated on small guys, etc. Thats where big plays come from in the passing game, and that's why we always had a 3 yd completion on 3rd and 6. The west coast offense is based on taking what the defense gives you, but the trick is making them give you what you want. Thirdly, he was unable to minimize weaknesses. When we were playing a faster team, he would stick with his slow developing counter plays and sweeps, and we would get killed. When a team had a good pass rush, we would never use sprintouts and half-rolls to make the qb a moving target, or use wham blocks to cut the ends and slow them down. Lastly, when things went wrong, he would never make any kind of adjustments during the game. He would get stubborn and run the same things all game and we would lose big.

To sum up. The scheme was sound, and when we had few weaknesses and dominated the line of scrimmage, the offense rolled, at least until the other teams caught up to what we were doing. When we had good but not great talent and a good but not great o line, we would get by against teams with inferior talent but teams with similar or better talent would beat us. and when we started to go down, we never came back, ever, because we never made adjustments, ever. I don't know how much autonomy Shawn watson had while Callahan was the head coach, so I don't know how much Nebraska's offense owes to his thinking. I'm guessing not much, as Callahan was an offensive oriented coach, but who knows. For what its worth, i'm awfully glad that we have Mark Helfrich and Eric Kiesau running our offense now.

P.S. Shawn Watson was a lousy recruiter, too, if memory serves.

this post needs to be sent to the Buffs board....it don't belong on a Husker board.

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

The guy is just trying to find out what the few Colorado fans who post on our board think of Watson. He was their OC before coming to Lincoln. Don't see any harm in that. Besides, what else do we have to do?

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

:yeah IDK about you but I am BORED!!!!!

:yeah

You can take this for what its worth, but here is the short version: After you guys beat us 30-3 in boulder in 2005, I was alarmed at what bill Callahan was doing in Lincoln. After he hired Shawn Watson, who we had just fired, I stopped worrying.

Longer version. first, Shawn Watson is not imaginative, either in game-planning or play-calling. When you run the west coast offense, as we did and you have the last few years, the point is to keep teams off balance and beat them to the punch, as bill walsh used to say. In my section at folsom we used to predict what play we would run, and usually we were right. He never ran more than 5 or 6 plays in a game, 10 tops. The year we beat you 62-36, we ran exactly five plays: a toss right, a counter back to the left, and a fake toss trap up the middle, and a couple of bootlegs. Thats it. We got away with it because we had an offensive line that was cutting people down like ripe wheat, and Chris Brown running through the holes. But teams notice when you only run 5 plays. The last year he was here, 2005, he would run mainly three running plays, a counter play, a stretch play, and a run right up the middle. Our passing game was all bootlegs. by the end of the year, teams would just have their DE run straight at where the qb was going to be after the playfake, and level him. Second, he can't exploit matchups. In the passing game, he was simply unable to get fast guys into open space, big guys isolated on small guys, etc. Thats where big plays come from in the passing game, and that's why we always had a 3 yd completion on 3rd and 6. The west coast offense is based on taking what the defense gives you, but the trick is making them give you what you want. Thirdly, he was unable to minimize weaknesses. When we were playing a faster team, he would stick with his slow developing counter plays and sweeps, and we would get killed. When a team had a good pass rush, we would never use sprintouts and half-rolls to make the qb a moving target, or use wham blocks to cut the ends and slow them down. Lastly, when things went wrong, he would never make any kind of adjustments during the game. He would get stubborn and run the same things all game and we would lose big.

To sum up. The scheme was sound, and when we had few weaknesses and dominated the line of scrimmage, the offense rolled, at least until the other teams caught up to what we were doing. When we had good but not great talent and a good but not great o line, we would get by against teams with inferior talent but teams with similar or better talent would beat us. and when we started to go down, we never came back, ever, because we never made adjustments, ever. I don't know how much autonomy Shawn watson had while Callahan was the head coach, so I don't know how much Nebraska's offense owes to his thinking. I'm guessing not much, as Callahan was an offensive oriented coach, but who knows. For what its worth, i'm awfully glad that we have Mark Helfrich and Eric Kiesau running our offense now.

Please, Dont beat around the bush. Kidding.. ;) Nice insight and opinion.

Welcome to the board and stick around.

Thanks for the insight, RisingSon...

I'll admit I was a little surprised Watson was retained, but the team did appear to move a little better than when Callihan was scripting the plays...I still feel he'll be gone in a couple years..Unless God Forbid, we decide to stick with the WCO for more than just a "transitionary Offense".

Wow. Thanks for the excellent and complete post.

Now, lets truly hope that either your assessment is overly harsh and he has been better than you suggest --- or that he has improved.

I really have a hard time getting excited about this staff --- and your post did not help!!!

Thank you BuffsontheRise. Great post. I hope he is better than that. We will find out.

Good grief HuskerTrucker. Why are you going off on me? So I asked for Buff fans' opinions. Big deal. They are Americans like anyone else. Come on. Why do some people get so worked up and hate others over a game of football. It's just football! You act like it's a crime to talk to other fans. Lighten up Dude.

Allbuffs.com, as your friend blackshirts can attest, is a pretty friendly place...

... kinda sorta. been there, done that. not impressed.

just keep an eye out for ladyblaise while you're there, she can be a bit... uh, "feisty" at times.

understatement. that's like saying adolph hitler was "combative" and charles manson was "moody".

Thank you BuffsontheRise. Great post. I hope he is better than that. We will find out.

Good grief HuskerTrucker. Why are you going off on me? So I asked for Buff fans' opinions. Big deal. They are Americans like anyone else. Come on. Why do some people get so worked up and hate others over a game of football. It's just football! You act like it's a crime to talk to other fans. Lighten up Dude.

That dude (HT) obviously has an opinion about everything and must voice it. That's a pretty incredible amount of posts/per day.

Aye Carumba, indeed.

That dude (HT) obviously has an opinion about everything and must voice it. That's a pretty incredible amount of posts/per day.

Aye Carumba, indeed.

Am I the only one that sees the "insert sarcasm here" icon at the end of his post?

Am I the only one that sees the "insert sarcasm here" icon at the end of his post?

You're probably the only one who thinks that the sarcasm meant anything other than his belief of the absurdity of Colorado Fans knowing anything..

Why you asking CU posters? ...but then maybe that makes them an expert - barely making a bowl game. :sarcasm

Allbuffs.com, as your friend blackshirts can attest, is a pretty friendly place...

... kinda sorta. been there, done that. not impressed.

just keep an eye out for ladyblaise while you're there, she can be a bit... uh, "feisty" at times.

understatement. that's like saying adolph hitler was "combative" and charles manson was "moody".

:rollin:rollin:rollin