SPORTING NEWS RATING OF NEW COACH HIRES

When Jim Grobe says he wants to hire his own staff, you say "whatever you want" and close the deal.

Can anybody on this board tell me what he's talking about here? I've been in Cali until a week ago, so I'm a bit removed, but I've tried to follow this as much as I can and it seems to me like this dude is just making $h!+ up. Is he really saying that TO offered the job to Grobe, and when Grobe said "I'll take it, but these dudes have to be my assistants" TO said, "Sorry." That seems pretty stupid to me...

You pretty much nailed it. I am not sure if Grobe was ever technically offered the job, but it's pretty well known that Grobe takes all his assistants with him when he moves. Considering how TO has influenced Bo's staff, it stands to reason that him wanting to bring assistants was a problem.

he had me right up until...

3. UCLA: Rick Neuheisel, A.

*spit take* *wipe off monitor*

Forget about the past baggage at Washington and Colorado; it's overplayed.

holy nutbunnies.... does he actually BELIEVE that?

He's a charismatic coach who will be aggressive against Pac-10 king USC on the field and in recruiting. This was the hire USC didn't want to see.

yes. yes, i guess he *does* believe that.

wow.

I actually like Skippy for UCLA.

I still don't understand why UW got after him for taking part in a Basketball pool..(I've even done it myself).

All I remember about his time at CU was that he couldn't seem to beat Tom..Which I really liked.

I hope he can start taking some of USC's recruits away to help level the playing field for the rest of us..

I wonder if Jay Norvel will stay as O.C.

2. Nebraska: Bo Pelini, C-. The depth of failure in the Bill Callahan era: an abominable showing on the field, fear of change off it. You don't settle for Pelini because he spent one year in Lincoln and knows "the Nebraska way." When Jim Grobe says he wants to hire his own staff, you say "whatever you want" and close the deal.

Still not sure why so many are high on Jim Grobe..A career 50% winner.

UW and the NCAA got after him on the basketball pool because he bet like 25k on it. If it had been $100, no one would have cared. But to throw down such a large amount, especially knowing the position your in and how the NCAA feels about gambling was just plain retarded. This is the first time in a long time i agree with what Mark May said on ESPN. He thinks UCLA will be on probation within 3-5 yrs. Cant disagree. I about fell out of my chair when i heard UCLA hired him, i thought he was on the black list of coaches who would never get another shot. Just goes to show you can pretty much do anything you want and someone will give you a 3rd chance. <_<

Matt Hayes

Bill Callahan, Nebraska. How many college teams would take a coach who led a team to the Super Bowl? Forget about his blowup with the Raiders this season; his first year in Oakland showed his coaching acumen.

... man, what a difference a few years will make, huh?

Mark May(yeah him) actually hated the Rick Neuheisel hire. So, again, I have had to agree with him, scary. Said that UCLA would either be on probation or the cleanest program in the game in 5 years.

And again it seems that some people cant get past the 'proven' part on coaches. Winning at one place doesnt mean winning at another. Just ask how that worked out for A&M with Fran. The 'experts' loved that hire.

There are pros and cons for any guy you could hire, the key is getting the right fit. For any hire, check back in 5 years. I will put money down half of them are no longer with the team they just signed on with at the end of the 5th season.

The thing that no other team really has, with maybe the exception of michigan is a legend in there corner. I don't whole heartly believe in the decision to hire pelini, i would of hired a paul j. or grobe which ive said. But I have a good feeling about the pelini/osborne connection rather then a paul j/osborne connection. I feel that pelini is wanting to be guided/coached on building a team. And osborne is already working on a lot of behind the scenes things that will help this program grow into what it should be.

Yeah this writter maybe right with pelini being a C- hire, but he has a living legend with a amazing coaching mind in his corner and that makes this an A+ hire.

2. Nebraska: Bo Pelini, C-. The depth of failure in the Bill Callahan era: an abominable showing on the field, fear of change off it. You don't settle for Pelini because he spent one year in Lincoln and knows "the Nebraska way." When Jim Grobe says he wants to hire his own staff, you say "whatever you want" and close the deal.

Still not sure why so many are high on Jim Grobe..A career 50% winner.

Because he took a basketball school, gave them a football team and won the ACC. He is a good coach and i love bo pelini, but i would have taken paul johnson or jim grobe over him. GT is going to be good in a few years

In one of the ACCs worst years....GJ :w00t:woo

In one of the ACCs worst years....GJ :w00t:woo

more of my point is that he took a program that really didn't have a football team and won something with them. That is a coach. Just like Paul Johnson did, won the commander and chief award like the last 5 years.... they can coach a team, not just be handed a top program and be expected to maintain it.

can't wait to see what Bo and Osborne will bring to the program. My take awhile to clean up the callahan crap though.

apparently the editior at sporting news does not think to highly of the new coach as nu.. not sure what to think about this article, even if the guy knows what he is talking about...but he seems to thinks so.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=332276

Anyone who thinks Skippy is a good hire doesn't know right from left. The guy has issues wherever he coaches (see Colorado and Washington).

:yeah

dedhoarse