Our Starting WR next year

I understand that you would like to see more athletic WRs on the field. But if Swift and Peterson simply do a better job at catching the ball than the other receivers, you would go with those two. Who would you feel more comfortable with on a third and 10? I don't care how athletic you are. If you are not dependable on third and 10s and depending on the field position, you are talking about a lot of punting.

They dont have the experience but size and speed and athleticism at the WR position are whats needed, not good guys that wear NU jerseys.

Wonderful attributes.

Having "size and speed and athleticism" is desired at every position.

But the number one most important thing of all for a receiver...

.... catching the ball

and number two...

... hanging onto the ball.

Being big, fast and athletic is great but if you can't catch the ball and hang onto it, you'll still suck.

The trick is finding guys that can get open, catch the ball, hang onto it and added yac would be nice as well. It's not easy finding athletes can do all the above consistently. Sometimes the best position player isn't the biggest or fastest or most athletic guy challenging for the position, sometimes it's the best "football player" that wins the spot...

This notion that the best players are getting splinters on the bench doesn't make sense to me.

I gotta believe that Watson (like 99% of coaches) will play his best players, whoever they are!!

but.. opinions vary.

GO BO!!

I dont mean to and hope i didnt come across as discrediting Swift or Petersen. I will be happy if they play.

I dont want them to never play, i just hope that we find a plethora of situations to get Henry and Holt and Paul into the gameplan along with Swift and Petersen.

Who knows, maybe with some PT they will excel and if they do and prove better than the incumbent players then Great, if Swift and Petersen prove better then that is what it is.

i dont want them getting splinters by any means

The notion that the best players didnt always play is not a notion at all. It was a real thing with us last year.

I think we would agree that Octo was our best defender all year long as a whole................. well if you recall he was benched befor McKeon or Ruud and put behind Brandenburg. Unfortuneately for Lance, he got hurt his first start and Octo was back in there. Benching him showed that not always did the best players play. RT may not be disciplined but he is a difference maker that repeatedly saw no time behind Green.

The notion that the best players didnt always play is not a notion at all. It was a real thing with us last year.

And I believe that is a fan perception, that no coach leaves his best player on the bench, especially with his job and the team's season on the line.

The "best" player for any given position is an opinion, in this case a coach's opinion.

...but opinions vary. :)

GO BO!!

Let me start by saying i Love the Skers, as much as anyone. I want a return to the past, i want to be mentioned again.

That being said, Swift and Petersen, are great people, good WR, and experienced, BUT, if we want to be mentioned then they cant be on the field.

No team in America (top 25) will have a Swift and a Petersen on the field.

I love them as Huskers but to accomplish what every fan on the message boards say they want, then we have to see Paul, Holt, Henry and others in the lineup.

They dont have the experience but size and speed and athleticism at the WR position are whats needed, not good guys that wear NU jerseys.

In my opinion, Swift and Petersen dont see the field at any of the top 20 programs next year.

Hell in our own conference they wouldnt play at Tx, OU, MU, KU, A&M, OSU, TT................................That's just our own conference.

I certainly hope that we see a heavy dose of several new faces at the WR position

To return to the form we as fans want we need more than a couple of starting WR that are Possession Recievers with Change of Possession Hands

I agree...and while we're at it...those damn slow "posession receivers" like Bilitnikof and Largent should have never been in the NFL (just to name a few)...great route runners but just too damn slow. Not up to the fan expectations.

While we're on the subject though...who were the great NU receivers during the 94 and 95 National Championship years? Can't remember? Hmmm...guess the Huskers weren't "up to form" during those years.

Let me start by saying i Love the Skers, as much as anyone. I want a return to the past, i want to be mentioned again.

That being said, Swift and Petersen, are great people, good WR, and experienced, BUT, if we want to be mentioned then they cant be on the field.

No team in America (top 25) will have a Swift and a Petersen on the field.

I love them as Huskers but to accomplish what every fan on the message boards say they want, then we have to see Paul, Holt, Henry and others in the lineup.

In my opinion, Swift and Petersen dont see the field at any of the top 20 programs next year.

Hell in our own conference they wouldnt play at Tx, OU, MU, KU, A&M, OSU, TT................................That's just our own conference.

I certainly hope that we see a heavy dose of several new faces at the WR position

To return to the form we as fans want we need more than a couple of starting WR that are Possession Recievers with Change of Possession Hands

I agree...and while we're at it...those damn slow "posession receivers" like Bilitnikof and Largent should have never been in the NFL (just to name a few)...great route runners but just too damn slow. Not up to the fan expectations.

While we're on the subject though...who were the great NU receivers during the 94 and 95 National Championship years? Can't remember? Hmmm...guess the Huskers weren't "up to form" during those years.

was it brendan holbein and reggie baul?

Good arguments one and all. I, like the rest of you would like to have a couple of receivers like a Purify to stretch the field. That's when a receiver like Swift is worth his in weight in gold. The kid can "play" the game. He will get those first down throws for 5,6,7 yards over the middle or on slant plays, where you take a pounding almost every time you catch one. If we have any of the new kids that can replace Purify, Swift will be invaluable to the Husker's. If we have 3 or 4 of the new kids step up and play like Purify, than we won't see Swift as much and that would be a shame.

GBR!!!

I understand that you would like to see more athletic WRs on the field. But if Swift and Peterson simply do a better job at catching the ball than the other receivers, you would go with those two. Who would you feel more comfortable with on a third and 10? I don't care how athletic you are. If you are not dependable on third and 10s and depending on the field position, you are talking about a lot of punting.

abso-f'ing-loutey............next post please.

Paul Holt and Currenski will see a ton of PT, I think Paul starts over Swift.

You don't take our most experienced WR and potential leader off the field.

I really don't know what to expect from these guys. Lots of bodies, little experience. I guess we'll see how much "talent" each of these kids has come spring.

New coaching staff, means everyone is on a clean slate, I have been told Niles was the most physically advanced WR out of every WR except Purify. The reason Niles didn't see any PT was because of the playbook, Swift has had 4 years in the system and knew it in and out. The offense will be simplified and not that much different giving guys like Paul, Holt, Henry and Gilleylen a chance to play a lot more.

Swift is a nice player, he is to inconsistent for me, but does have some great catches. Having potential of being a leader doesn't really say anything to me, we have nothing that would lead to him being one.

I agree that swift probably isn't the fastest or the most athletic, but he does have very good hands and runs great routes. You can't only rely on the big play makers either though Swift plays with alot of heart and determination and that got him to where he is now IMO. Niles, Henry, and paul yes I believe that we need them to make the big plays that Purify did for us, but we also always need a backup man also and it seems to me that that is what Swift and Peterson were. Meaning that the only way to get the big plays are to have people like Swift in as a threat for not the catch and run but more for the sure catch, he had very few drops that I can remember.