Marlon Lucky

Signs point to Lucky staying

Nine junior running backs have announced they will forgo their senior seasons and enter the NFL Draft.

Will Marlon Lucky become the 10th?

Most every sign points to Lucky staying for his senior season. For instance, Lucky this past weekend was the designated host for Collins Okafor during the Omaha Westside running back's recruiting visit to the NU campus.

Lucky attended a team meeting Sunday to kick off the second semester of classes. He's enrolled in a full slate of courses.

The deadline for juniors to declare for the NFL Draft is Tuesday.

Lucky would face stiff competition in the draft pool. It's possible he wouldn't be selected ahead of any of the following juniors in the pool:

Jamaal Charles, Texas; James Davis, Clemson; Felix Jones, Arkansas; Darren McFadden, Arkansas; Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois; Ray Rice, Rutgers; Steve Slaton, West Virginia; Kevin Smith, Central Florida; and Jonathan Stewart, Oregon.

I know a lot of you won't agree with me, but Lucky staying is very good news. The kid was about 60% of our offense last year. He didn't fumble and when the ball was thrown to him he was very reliable. With every game, he improved running the ball with patience and a little more toughness. Next season, he will only be better. 1000 yards rushing isn't to shabby when your team is down by 20 pts most every game at halftime.

We could use his receiving ability. Perhaps the new RB coach could get Lucky to run tougher on a more consistant basis. It seemed like he would run tough at times but not during other carries.

Lucky admitted to not running as tough as he could at the beginning of the season, saying that he was trying to preserve himself so he could last all season. Around the Texas game he really, really turned it up and was a man possessed the second half of the season. In particular games I never really saw a discrepancy, more of one just over the progression of the season.

I know a lot of you won't agree with me, but Lucky staying is very good news. The kid was about 60% of our offense last year. He didn't fumble and when the ball was thrown to him he was very reliable. With every game, he improved running the ball with patience and a little more toughness. Next season, he will only be better. 1000 yards rushing isn't to shabby when your team is down by 20 pts most every game at halftime.

agree, although he is not exceptional, he is damn close and could just possibly get there this season.

i feel fortunate that he will be coming back.

He got tagged a lot in the backfield alot too before he could even get to the line of scrimmage. With improvement in the O Line and a little time to accelerate we'll see some breakaway runs.

agree, Lucky deserves some running room this year. the O line better suck it up and give him some holes!

:yeah

GBR!!!