Watson staying put!

Spoke to Shawn Watson ...

Posted by Gentry Estes January 21, 2008 10:02 AM

Categories: Football

Watson: The next candidate?At this point, Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson can be considered at least a speculative candidate in Alabama head coach Nick Saban's search to replace Major Applewhite on his coaching staff.

Watson didn't have much to say about it when reached by the Press-Register this morning, but he didn't deny his interest, saying, "I can't make any comments on that right now. I just can't do that right now."

He was visiting a recruit when contacted. Asked if there were plans for him to interview in Tuscaloosa this week, Watson replied, "No, nothing like that's been talked about."

So ... Watson seems to be interested, but he also doesn't seem to be very far along in the process. New Nebraska coach Bo Pelini was not aware that Watson had spoken with anyone at Alabama as of last night.

Would he leave Nebraska for Alabama? Huskers insiders say legendary AD Tom Osborne fought to keep Watson on Pelini's first coaching staff, as Watson was one of only two assistants retained last month. He also has seven years coordinator experience in the Big 12 Conference, serving first at Colorado before heading to Nebraska.

But there is a money aspect to this. Watson's salary didn't increase after staying with Nebraska though a head coaching change. He's making $225,000, less than five Crimson Tide assistants made this past season. From day one of Saban's tenure, cash hasn't seemed to be a problem for Alabama football, which boasts the highest-paid coaching staff in the SEC.

Watson leaving would be no different than what happens in 99% of head coaching changes......all the assistants get canned. That being said, if Watson leaves, I hope Bo goes out and finds another OC. I don't think Barney is the guy we need in there calling plays.

Remember that we did go 10-3 with him calling the plays....just some food for thought.

I suppose we can interpret his comments anyway we want to. But he was with a recruit, and perhaps because of that he didn't want to talk about it in any way or form. So it could be that he was telling the press that I am busy right now and I don't have time to talk to you.

I would be disappointed if he jumps ship since apparently Osborne fought for him to stay, Pelini just announced his new staff, and signing day is around the corner. I hope he does the right thing and realizes commitment sometimes is more important than money.

Spoke to Shawn Watson ...

Posted by Gentry Estes January 21, 2008 10:02 AM

Categories: Football

for god's sake man... LINK!!!!

additionally, we might want to merge this in with the other watson thread.

this is what i find interesting.

Would he leave Nebraska for Alabama? Huskers insiders say legendary AD Tom Osborne fought to keep Watson on Pelini's first coaching staff, as Watson was one of only two assistants retained last month. He also has seven years coordinator experience in the Big 12 Conference, serving first at Colorado before heading to Nebraska.

fought with pelini? don't see it. fought to convince watson to stay? well, that would explain why watson may be looking around.

Watson leaving would be no different than what happens in 99% of head coaching changes......all the assistants get canned. That being said, if Watson leaves, I hope Bo goes out and finds another OC. I don't think Barney is the guy we need in there calling plays.

Remember that we did go 10-3 with him calling the plays....just some food for thought.

barney cotton, or the unfettered GENIUS of frank solich?!

... right, i'm not buying it either...

That offense was awful and you know it.

Man $225,000 is a huge difference in salaries. Not saying NU has to keep up with other schools but if you want the best you may have to pay closer to Bama's pay scale then Baylors.

But you also have to think about cost of living. It might be more to own a house down in Alabama too. Just a thought

And if Shawn Watson leaves that'll be a slap to face to Tom Osborne "the greatest coach in college"! Mr. Osborne fought to keep Watson and if he leaves it'll be like laughing at Osborne for wasting his time on Watson.

Losing Watson will be a HUGE HUGE loss.

That offense was awful and you know it.

I never said it wasn't but when discussing his play calling abilities you have to throw out there that he was 10-3 as a play caller. His ability to coordinate offenses did show improvement at Iowa State while he was there too. Im not saying he is the right man for the job if Watson does leave...just throwing out his record here while calling the plays.