Watson staying put!

Watson leaving would be no different than what happens in 99% of head coaching changes......all the assistants get canned. That being said, if Watson leaves, I hope Bo goes out and finds another OC. I don't think Barney is the guy we need in there calling plays.

Remember that we did go 10-3 with him calling the plays....just some food for thought.

That offense was awful and you know it.

I never said it wasn't but when discussing his play calling abilities you have to throw out there that he was 10-3 as a play caller. His ability to coordinate offenses did show improvement at Iowa State while he was there too. Im not saying he is the right man for the job if Watson does leave...just throwing out his record here while calling the plays.

Cotton sucked here as an OC, and he sucked at ISU as an OC. I think the numbers tell the truth.

2003 w/Nebraska(10-3)

75th in points scored, 83rd in total yards

2004 w/ISU(7-5)

99th in points scored, 93rd in total yards

2005 w/ISU(7-5)

50th in points scored, 78th in total yards

2006 w/ISU(4-8)

92nd in points scored, 81st in total yards

If he is given the reins to the offense, we are screwed.

I think Beck might even get the bump to OC before anyone on our current staff... but hopefully we won't have to worry about any of this

Gilmore would have to get some consideration also. I hope it doesn't come to this, I think Watson is really going to show what he can do this next year when he has full control over the offense.

Why would he want to leave? He has one of the best offenses in the NCAA coming back. BAMA shouldnt even be a consideration!

its all about the benjamins, at Bama Applewhite called the plays, Saban used the same plays from former jobs and their Line coach was a huge part of the decision making, almost a co-off cord job. But the pay would probably increase. If he actually interviews I will be extremely disappointed, I was thinking Watson would be a head coach some day and would take NU's offense to a very high place before that

Actually, I am pretty sure the cost of living is cheaper in Alabama...there isn't a whole lot down there...I know this from personal experience. It is getting kind of pricey to be living in Lincoln anymore, if anyone has noticed.

Not so. The COL in Birmingham is a bit higher, but only by a small margin, than in Lincoln (it would take about 230k in AL to match his current pay, adjusted for COL). Tuscaloosa is just outside of the Birmingham metro area, and the COL virtually the same. By the way, the Birmingham metro area population is a bit over a million, and there's a bit more around here than "not a whole lot" ;) All told, I'd rather be back in Lincoln, though.

I knew someone would flame me.... :steam lol.

Today's Omaha paper said that Watson flew back to Texas with Whaley and went to watch him play BB......but did note that Eckler (sp) was the chief recruiter......

I am not going to play the "if he doesn't want to be here card"........ I strongly wanted Watson to stay when the whole change was taking place..... I will say that I think he is a very , very important piece of the puzzle next year... we need him as our OC........ this is why I believe that we have a chance to be a decent team......

Coaching changes usually don't result in immediate succes, but, if you can keep the same systsem on the offensive side of the ball, this helps tremendously.......especially, when defensive schemes are typically easier to pick up......so I felt, and feel, that if our offense stay basically the same, and Bo can work the D, then we have a chance to improve immediately.....

If Watson bolts, then we go back to ...."do we have the players to fit the 'system' of whatever the new OC brings in"...... We need Watson.....period !!!!!!

JMO, though

Another thing...if Pelini wasn't informed about this Alabama thing...and found out from the press last night, don't you know that was an interesting conversation this morning between TO, Watson, and Pelini?

I must have missed that this morning I was at work. What was said this morning in their conversation

And T.O. Bull man I was throwing out some sarcasm when I said that hahaha chill hahaha. I'm really pissed that this (Shawn Watson supject) was brought up. Shawn Watson right now has to not only think about himself with the extra money but think about these kids that he's recruiting now or previously and what Tom Osborne had to do to go the extra mile to have Shawn Watson stay at Nebraska.

Remember we could've got Jim Grobe as our Head Coach but TO wanted to keep certain assistants and Jim told TO that we wants the same assistants that he has and bring them to Lincoln. Not saying anything bad about Bo but we did lose another great Coach to keep certain assistans....'cough cough Shawn Watson cough cough'

:):):)

Sorry Huskerjock, no sun in 5 no 6 days and its going to be in the single ndigits all week. 6 more ins. o snow today and more coming. Just kind of down. Didn't mean to come down on you so hard.

>>>T_O_B

:):):)

TO Bull dude don't worry about it...i'm not sweatin it at all. Ya up here we got 7" of snow and now we're getting at least another 2-3 inches. I hate snow.......I wish that I was fat like Fat Bastard and fart the damn snow off of my driveway so I don't have to scoop the damn thing. So TO Bull I didn't take much out of it....continue post great threads though T_O_B....you usually do. Thanks much and Go Big Red

I don't think that Shawn Watson will take this postion with Alabama because IMO it wouldn't be fair to the players and he's got a great job right here in Lincoln. Watson at this point shouldn't be think about how much he would be making at Alabama because he knows this offense here and he'll be the head guy calling the shots. He's gotta start thinking about these players coming in to play for Nebraska for the next 4-5 years.

Another thing that I read in the Omaha World Herald is that Alabama didn't ask Bo permission to speak to Watson.....interesting!!!!! Shawn Watson is our guy don't sweat it.

Did you see in the OWH article where Watson responded to the rumor by saying something like: I am not going there with this, and I don't know how these rumors get started. That to me is a possible indication that he is not going anywhere. That may not be a denial, but you can interpret it as being close to one. Maybe I'm wishful thinking, but I sure hope he's staying.

(Monitors: I don't mind you moving my thread on Watson into this one. That's not an issue with me, but can you please include the title of the thread in my first post. You made my first and second posts not make sense. Please be careful with that. Thank you.)

Did you see in the OWH article where Watson responded to the rumor by saying something like: I am not going there with this, and I don't know how these rumors get started. That to me is a possible indication that he is not going anywhere. That may not be a denial, but you can interpret it as being close to one. Maybe I'm wishful thinking, but I sure hope he's staying.

(Monitors: I don't mind you moving my thread on Watson into this one. That's not an issue with me, but can you please include the title of the thread in my first post. You made my first and second posts not make sense. Please be careful with that. Thank you.)

I wonder if its entirely possible some other school started the rumor in order to mess with our recruiting (Colorado or Mizzou?)

I don't know something seems odd about the whole thing.....football dept was never contacted Bo nor TO knew. Watson was in Houston recruiting.

Scott

I wonder if its entirely possible some other school started the rumor in order to mess with our recruiting (Colorado or Mizzou?)

I don't know something seems odd about the whole thing.....football dept was never contacted Bo nor TO knew. Watson was in Houston recruiting.

Scott

I highly doubt anyone had the means to start a rumor like this one without something to go on from Alabama. However, IMO Shawn Watson needs to come out and publicly nip it in the butt and put an end to it before it does screw up our already skewed recruiting picture this year.

Shawn needs to realize that he is wanted and needed at Nebraska, but Husker fans do expect some loyalty, and as proven over the past couple of years, if you don't show that loyalty, they can turn on you pretty fast, and make you an outsider who basically gets run out of town. I hope that Shawn will make the right decision and soon.

:restore