Watson staying put!

I am glad this didn't drag on. I am also tickled pink (or Big Red) that he is staying. I hope that he stays for a long time to come with much success.

As for the money, if they gave him more...great, if not, I think it should be considered at the end of the season, along with the rest of the assistants to bring them up to par for the rest of the NCAA top teams.

Thank goodness. I was extremely worried about the consequences of that move. Somehow I always saw Watson as a guy who would be with our program for awhile. I hope he has a long, prosperous career at Nebraska. Having complete control of the offense finally, I'd hope he would be ready to show us what he can do. It surprises me the level of interest in him, too, considering that Callahan was the 'guru' last season, not Watson.

Ah, well, the world is a funny place.

X,

My guess on that is, he trained under what some in the professional ranks feel is one of the best offensive minds in football. Whether I buy that or not is up for debate. But Callahan did rebound quite quickly it seems and at a pretty good slot.

My guess is if Callahan saw the potential in him, the other pro level coaches will to. Saben brings that trait to the table now.

I am glad he is staying, not so much for his offensive mind, but his bridge between the two staffs and the recruiting stability. We shall see next year just how good he is. I think we are going to be very happy he stayed because I expect the offense to be much better next year.

X,

My guess on that is, he trained under what some in the professional ranks feel is one of the best offensive minds in football. Whether I buy that or not is up for debate. But Callahan did rebound quite quickly it seems and at a pretty good slot.

My guess is if Callahan saw the potential in him, the other pro level coaches will to. Saben brings that trait to the table now.

I am glad he is staying, not so much for his offensive mind, but his bridge between the two staffs and the recruiting stability. We shall see next year just how good he is. I think we are going to be very happy he stayed because I expect the offense to be much better next year.

I was mostly concerned about the loss of recruits (as from my understanding he is one of our top recruiters), and the fact that Barney Cotton could step into the role of OC in Watson's absence. I'm eager to see what Cotton can do with the line, but I watched him at ISU under Coach Mack, and let's just say their offense was nothing to dance a jig over.

In any case, seems everything worked out in the end. If our offense can sustain last year's production, and dig a channel for a powerful running game, we could be in for a surprisingly good season if Bo can do what he did with the defense the last time he was here. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Is it Spring Game yet?

X

hmm... wonder if there wasn't some financial arrangements made...

I'm sure there was a pay increase included.... I would rather they do that than risk bringing someone else in. Maybe he used it as a bargaining tool to get a raise I mean he should be making at least half of what Pelini does.

While I'm glad that Watson is staying for the sake of continuity, I question the crazy excitement everyone seems to have for this guy. Honestly, what have we seen from him in terms of playcalling and running an offense that makes us covet him so much?

Buff fans (although inbred and ignorant) hate Watson and act ecstatic that he is here instead of there. They said that all he did was call bubble screens to the left and the right every play. While I don't think that's true, I'm just saying, we haven't seen enough from this guy to know if he's even worth keeping around.

I'd say, give him a year, then boost his pay, because what has he shown us besides the fact that he can recruit okay and knows how to wear a headset?

by Brian Christopherson

Statement from Shawn Watson

Shawn Watson has released a statement:

"I am excited about continuing in my role as the offensive coordinator at Nebraska. I deeply appreciate the opportunity that Coach Pelini and Coach Osborne have given me. My family and I enjoy being at Nebraska. This is a great place to do what I love and that is coaching football.

"Right now my focus is on helping finish up a strong recruiting class and looking ahead to spring football. We have a great group of kids in our program and I look forward to coaching the offense we have coming back for next season."

link

Watson leaving would be no different than what happens in 99% of head coaching changes......all the assistants get canned. That being said, if Watson leaves, I hope Bo goes out and finds another OC. I don't think Barney is the guy we need in there calling plays.

Remember that we did go 10-3 with him calling the plays....just some food for thought.

That offense was awful and you know it.

I never said it wasn't but when discussing his play calling abilities you have to throw out there that he was 10-3 as a play caller. His ability to coordinate offenses did show improvement at Iowa State while he was there too. Im not saying he is the right man for the job if Watson does leave...just throwing out his record here while calling the plays.

Cotton sucked here as an OC, and he sucked at ISU as an OC. I think the numbers tell the truth.

2003 w/Nebraska(10-3)

75th in points scored, 83rd in total yards

2004 w/ISU(7-5)

99th in points scored, 93rd in total yards

2005 w/ISU(7-5)

50th in points scored, 78th in total yards

2006 w/ISU(4-8)

92nd in points scored, 81st in total yards

If he is given the reins to the offense, we are screwed.

well ISU is known for good offenses(and teams in general)

While I'm glad that Watson is staying for the sake of continuity, I question the crazy excitement everyone seems to have for this guy. Honestly, what have we seen from him in terms of playcalling and running an offense that makes us covet him so much?

Buff fans (although inbred and ignorant) hate Watson and act ecstatic that he is here instead of there. They said that all he did was call bubble screens to the left and the right every play. While I don't think that's true, I'm just saying, we haven't seen enough from this guy to know if he's even worth keeping around.

I'd say, give him a year, then boost his pay, because what has he shown us besides the fact that he can recruit okay and knows how to wear a headset?

I'm glad to see somebody has some common sense. I sure as hell hope we didn't have to give him a raise to get him to stay. He has really proved nothing here yet. Don't get me wrong, I also wanted him to stay, I think he along with the input of the other coaches on this staff should be able to put together a pretty good offense. With Bo working with him, telling him what things give a defense the most trouble, I'm actually pretty excited, but let's wait and see before we start throwing more money away.

I'm glad to see somebody has some common sense. I sure as hell hope we didn't have to give him a raise to get him to stay. He has really proved nothing here yet. Don't get me wrong, I also wanted him to stay, I think he along with the input of the other coaches on this staff should be able to put together a pretty good offense. With Bo working with him, telling him what things give a defense the most trouble, I'm actually pretty excited, but let's wait and see before we start throwing more money away.

Not to be a cynic, but he didn't say he wasn't going to Alabama. The statement appears to be intentionally vague to me.