Watson staying put!

Watson leaving would be no different than what happens in 99% of head coaching changes......all the assistants get canned. That being said, if Watson leaves, I hope Bo goes out and finds another OC. I don't think Barney is the guy we need in there calling plays.

true, but if TO worked hard to keep him, then he would be taking a big sh#t on us!

TO better pay the money to keep him, he is the only thing holding the O tgether at this point and recruiting will take another hit if we lose Watson. if Saban has the money, Watson is gone IMO.

Man $225,000 is a huge difference in salaries. Not saying NU has to keep up with other schools but if you want the best you may have to pay closer to Bama's pay scale then Baylors.

But you also have to think about cost of living. It might be more to own a house down in Alabama too. Just a thought

And if Shawn Watson leaves that'll be a slap to face to Tom Osborne "the greatest coach in college"! Mr. Osborne fought to keep Watson and if he leaves it'll be like laughing at Osborne for wasting his time on Watson.

Losing Watson will be a HUGE HUGE loss.

Actually, I am pretty sure the cost of living is cheaper in Alabama...there isn't a whole lot down there...I know this from personal experience. It is getting kind of pricey to be living in Lincoln anymore, if anyone has noticed.

agree, we are screwed if he leaves. old TO is learning very quickly about money grubbing coaches of this era....there is no more allegiance anywhere, it is all about money and working with Saban, a great opportunity for Watson to raise his net worth down the road. not saying i blame him, but there is no stability anymore, it is all about the money. TO has to learn now, you pay up to get/keep your guys!!!

Why would he want to leave? He has one of the best offenses in the NCAA coming back. BAMA shouldnt even be a consideration!

One of the best reasons there is-- $$

especially if you have a family to support and ambitions ---

But there is a money aspect to this. Watson's salary didn't increase after staying with Nebraska though a head coaching change. He's making $225,000, less than five Crimson Tide assistants made this past season

Man $225,000 is a huge difference in salaries. Not saying NU has to keep up with other schools but if you want the best you may have to pay closer to Bama's pay scale then Baylors.

Re-read that part about the money. The article is saying that Watson makes $225K, which is less than 5 assistants at Bama...not that he makes $225K less than 5 assts at Bama.

I could care less. His offenses have been mediocre, and anybody with a West Coast Offense background is better off gone. Bring in someone who wants to play college football in the current century.

and how do you back this up?

The fact that we scored 33.4 points per game last season? (28th Nationally)

The fact that we averaged 468.3 yards per game last season? (11th Nationally)

but you're right.. thats pretty mediocre.. i mean, and team with those stats and a defense wouldn't do great...

watson hasn't done poor at all as OC.

maybe if our defense didn't give up 37.9 points per game or 476.8 yards per game we would of won more than 5....

Let's not point out that the k-state, Colorado games helped along with the crap points they put up on USC helped keep this offensive stats higher they they actually were. Some jaded person could point out the high scoring offense did little against Okie St in the first half and Missouri game of only scoring 6 points. If you're going to bring up stats lets see what the 3rd down completion % along with red zone percentage. You can make believe that the defense was the reason this team lost all those games, but the offense contributed their share of folly.

Um, and it seems that those 2 games you are pointing out are when watson had more control of the offense.. Colorado, K-State, along with the Kansas game.. i don't have to make believe that our defense was the reasons, because the numbers can simply back it up.. even if we score 40 points in those games, we STILL LOSE.. so therefore, i'm not making believe that, and i'm sure that 99% of the people here will agree that our defense is to blame much much much more than our offense is..

plus, at this stage in the game, where are you going to find a better, proven OC that will be able to take the kids we have now, and use them in the system we have now? because isn't that what a good OC will do? cater to the players in the system? therefore, no matter WHO is in, we should be running a very close variation of what we ran last year.....

I highly doubt Watson leaves, winter conditioning is about to get started (actually, correct that, it started today) and Watson, I'm sure, is keeping very busy with recruiting and getting his offensive players ready and conditioned.

There are hundreds of assistants that a head coach looks at when he is trying to fill a position, it's no surprise that Watson's name is out there, and it's no surprise that there's news on it either, but I don't think anything of substance will become of it.

However, I have been wrong before.

agree, we are screwed if he leaves. old TO is learning very quickly about money grubbing coaches of this era....there is no more allegiance anywhere, it is all about money and working with Saban, a great opportunity for Watson to raise his net worth down the road. not saying i blame him, but there is no stability anymore, it is all about the money. TO has to learn now, you pay up to get/keep your guys!!!

Heck that means that in a few years if/when he bolts for a new school he could prop himself up for the HC position. We all know what kind of allegiance Saban has to places.

I highly doubt Watson leaves, winter conditioning is about to get started (actually, correct that, it started today) and Watson, I'm sure, is keeping very busy with recruiting and getting his offensive players ready and conditioned.

There are hundreds of assistants that a head coach looks at when he is trying to fill a position, it's no surprise that Watson's name is out there, and it's no surprise that there's news on it either, but I don't think anything of substance will become of it.

However, I have been wrong before.

i think we have reason to be concerned, there is no denial from Watson and he is dancing around the rumor.

:bonez:madash:madash:bonez

If Watson decides to leave at this point in time then as far as I'm concerned (just as with the recruits who decommitted) then thanks for stopping by but you probably would not have fit in well here anyway. Good Luck. We will be fine. We will field a team next year and in the very near future start kickkin' a$$ just like we used to.

As for this being Callahan's fault - give me a break - I was as happy to see him go as anyone but to think that he was going to say, "Thanks for the 4 years. Wish it had turned out better. No hard feelings and by the way you keep the $3,000,000." There isn't a Nebraska Fan in the world who would have left the 3 mill on the table.

Every one please, stop wringing your hands, and remember coaches come and go The Big Red will last forever.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

I just wish that Watson would decide whether he wants to be a coach here or not...and then go public with it. If he wants to stay here, then put down all the rumors and commit to being here. If he wants to interview for the Alabama job, he is going to be setting himself up with the fans here, because if he don't get it, and stays, the first sign of trouble with the offense, people are going to start questioning his dedication, and we know how that goes...once a few people start questioning that, then they start calling for his head...

I don't want to go through that again...would rather not have to watch Pelini make a choice to having to support him and risk having the fans wrath come down on him, or him having to get rid of Watson to quiet to mob.

The other way it could go, is he interviews for the job, doesn't get it, and then has a good year, and then most of the fans will forget that he was looking to leave....and all is okay.

The easiest thing for him to do right now would be to put down the rumors and take himself out of the running...but sometimes the easiest isn't the best thing to do for an individual.

This is like a recruit trying to change his mind, or transfer once he has played for us, to someplace that he thinks he can get more playing time...we don't like it when that happens either...so now we have a coach that is basically looking to maybe do the same thing. I don't like that.