New Strength Coach making some noise....

Hang Snatchings and Good Mornings are weightlifting terms.

A Hang Snatch is pulling the bar to your midsection, bending and jerking but never bringing the bar below the pelvis or above your abdomen.

A Good Morning is basically just a straight-legged dead lift.

so the hang snatch is half a hang cling?

Not Quite....Snatch refers to your grip being placed farther apart towards the ends of the barbell and the arms locked. The bar is then catapulted over head, from a hanging position, keeping the arms locked. Snatches and Cleans both improve explosiveness and hip flexibility. Good Mornings have different definitions everywhere, depending on the trainer. At my school Good Mornings were an overhead snatch squat type lift used at the beginning of the workout, with light weight, to stretch out and warm up.

Was Rigoni an academic senior or an athletic senior? Maybe he exhausted his eligibility but still has classes to finish before he graduates. If that's the case and he's not a problem to the team I can easily see why they'd allow him to hang around. It's not like they're going to just kick the kid to the curb when his eligibility is through.

Good mornings from what I've heard and done are you take a barbell and put it behind your neck then you have your feet about shoulder width apart. You then bend at the waist and go as close to parallel as you can then you return to you starting position. It works your lower back. The straight leg deadlift that someone was talking about earlier is called a Romanian deadlift. It works your hamstrings more than anything else.

A Hang Snatch is pulling the bar to your midsection, bending and jerking but never bringing the bar below the pelvis or above your abdomen.

so the hang snatch is half a hang cling?

Not Quite....Snatch refers to your grip being placed farther apart towards the ends of the barbell and the arms locked. The bar is then catapulted over head, from a hanging position, keeping the arms locked. Snatches and Cleans both improve explosiveness and hip flexibility. Good Mornings have different definitions everywhere, depending on the trainer. At my school Good Mornings were an overhead snatch squat type lift used at the beginning of the workout, with light weight, to stretch out and warm up.

Either way, just take my word for it, both hang snatches and good mornings suck.......man i hated those dead lifts......couldn't walk normally for days after those.

Interesting about Rigoni. Was it truly him? If so, is he a GA or Weight Training Assistant now? He was lifter of the year in 2006 if that counts for anything.

He could be there just to work out. I think former players can use the weight room if they want.

If it was even him. The guy could have been mistaken, but the only person I can think of that looks like Rigoni is Rigoni.

I think the weight goes behind your head (resting on your shoulders like for a squat) for a good morning.

With a hang snatch you start with the weight hanging like you would for a hang clean (arm length, probably at the top of your thighs) and in a single, jump-like move you power the weight up above your head... well, you jump up, and then drop your body below the weight and get the bar above your head and then return to a standing position while holding the weight.

Snatches are really not easy at all.

I think what you're describing is sort of like a power shrug.

I think the weight goes behind your head (resting on your shoulders like for a squat) for a good morning.

With a hang snatch you start with the weight hanging like you would for a hang clean (arm length, probably at the top of your thighs) and in a single, jump-like move you power the weight up above your head... well, you jump up, and then drop your body below the weight and get the bar above your head and then return to a standing position while holding the weight.

A Power Shrug is exactly what he described.....good call! I was tryin to think of it and it was buggin me...

What in the world are "hang snatches" and "good mornings" just curious....... :blink:

From there names , they might have something to do with each other.

I thought it was something you "performed" with the girl you had just met at the bar the night before! ;)

:hellloooo But why would she still be around in the morning? :hellloooo

>>>T_O_B

A Power Shrug is exactly what he described.....good call! I was tryin to think of it and it was buggin me...

Thank you guys, i was sitting here reading this and thinking,"am i the only person in Nebraska/Iowa to know what a hang snatch is?"

good call guys.