THE most overhype players to sign w/NU

Jonny Rodger's son. Did we pass up Barry Sanders because of him?

Just something a guy I work with told me , true or not , I don't know.

I don't know if that is true but his name was Terry, and I believe they unretired #20 because of it...think he was pretty undersized and tore up a knee before the medical technology could repair them the way they do today...

Terry Rogers had the ability of being a great back at Nebraska, Unfortunatley he did tear up his knee and that cut short his career.

As for Bobby Newcome he was a very good QB and actually a pretty good passer. The one problem with bobby was his tendency now and then when no one was open of his running backward and going out of bounds instead of throwing it away. Just remember Bobby played wr in 1997 to help that team to win the NC instead of redshirting and learning the offense.

^ The only play I remember of Newcombe's was the one where instead of get sacked, he threw the ball away . . . straight up into the air. Thank goodness the opposing defense wasn't paying attention because anyone had a fair chance of coming down with it. From what I remember of 1999 (of course, I was twelve years old) was that Crouch pretty much had the starting job wrapped up and Solich gave Newcombe a shot because he was being a nice guy.

Here are a few names that I came up with, and some undropped soapbox thoughts that I had. First of all, let me start with a name that I can't believe no one has brought up. Also, I prefer only to mention names that I've not yet seen.

1. Benard F#^#^$ Thomas: What the heck is wrong with everyone that we forgot that one? A great soundbyte, made waves when he was quoted in the paper as saying that he wanted to lead the team in sacks as a freshman.

2. DeMoine Adams: Was only good with a better DE on the other side of him. Otherwise terrible.

3. Mike Grant: In my opinion, The Huskers worst quarterback in the Osborne years. Even Tommie Frazier was average as a freshman, and were it not for Grant, we would never have seen an average Frazier. Grants bad play forced in a very green Frazier. Without Grant, do we win five titles in a row?

4. Brandon Greeson and Brandon Teamer: Greeson was stolen out of the southeast and supposedly he was to be a stone cold run stopper. Teamer was a 4* out of Central who played only one year. I believe that Greeson was homesick and injured, and Teamer was slightly injured, but more than anything, just wanted to leave football at the time. I have no idea what either one is doing nowadays.

5. Phillip Bland: And to think that we stole this one from CU. Well, I was at the __-36 game in Boulder and I think sCUm owes that kid a ring for how many tackles he missed.

6. Ryan Schuler: Supposedly Barney stole this kid from Oklahoma. I don't even know if this kid's health issues allowed him to play a down of college football.

7. Josh Davis: No offense to tough Tony, but I knew it would be a long year when Frankie named this kid the starter.

8. Judd Davies: A great kid, but for all the hype surrounding his recruitment at the time, not a great player. Average at best. I will say again though, a really good person.

9. Dan Vili Waldrop: Whoever thought that 6'8 350 pounds of human being could be knocked around by 6'2 220 lbs of Texas LB's and/or DE's

10. Justin Tomerlin: Recruited to FSU as a 4* Tight end, he was supposed to be a threat on either side of the ball coming out of JUCO. Kicked off the team after a fight on a flight back to Lincoln.

Honorable Mentions

* Craig Roark: One of the first big timers in the '05 class. Played little because of injury and then quit

** Robert Pollard: This kid was can't miss out of high school. didn't qualify. Now in prison.

*** Sandro DeAngelis: This kid was supposed to be the next Kris and/or Josh Brown, yet he missed more 30-40 yard kicks than anyone that I can thin of. Now, he's a national scoring champion and folk hero in Canada.

**** Patrick Kabongo: Was supposed to be our Warren Sapp style run stopper. Played sparingly as a senior, but celebrated like Martin Grammatica on every tackle and defensive stop.

SO ANYWAYS . . . . it is partially our fault for hypeing these kids. Things to remember in the coming years. A.)Loyalty is the virtue of the few. B.) Perseverence is no longer an iherited trait. C.) Some choose to be unmotivated. Apply any of these three points to those above. I'll bet at least one if not all three fit with every player on my list

willie amos

he was a 4 star 6-2 wr who ran a 4.3 40

Not overhyped just bogged down by injuries.

ohh....thank you for clearing that up...i remember when he was a freshamn theyd say he would be a vital part of our offense and then he kind of disappeared, but anyways i had just figured it was another one on callahans players who he never developed

willie amos

he was a 4 star 6-2 wr who ran a 4.3 40

Not overhyped just bogged down by injuries.

ohh....thank you for clearing that up...i remember when he was a freshamn theyd say he would be a vital part of our offense and then he kind of disappeared, but anyways i had just figured it was another one on callahans players who he never developed

Willie was a defensive back for his first 4 years until Callahan came. Callahan put him on offense. He had a big game against Western Illinois, then didn't do much else the rest of the year because Joe Dailey couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. The big problem with Willie was the ACL injury, he wasn't quite the same after it.

Here's one perhaps only the elders like myself would remember. In the early '80s, during the same recruiting period of Oklahoma RB recruit Marcus Dupree(sp?), Osborne's staff recruited the number one rated RB in Texas. His name I think was something like Anthony Bylary(sp?) But after the recruiting season, we never heard anything about him again. That has to be one of the biggest busts ever. We never knew what happened to him.

(As for Marcus Dupree, he had the physical talent of Adrian Peterson, and he did show a lot of promise as a freshman. In fact Barry Switzer broke out of the wishbone into the I to better fit his talent. But he was lazy and hated Oklahoma and quit during the his sophomore season in 1983. He went on to a smaller school and didn't set the world on fire. He injured himself early in his NFL career and never materialized. I supposed you can say he was kind of a bust in himself. I remember Switzer complaining that he lacked the toughness of Mike Rozier. That guy could had been as good as Peterson.)

yeah...all Eric Croch did was win that stupid Heisman trophy...

No denying that Crouch had talent at the college level, but in all honesty the only reason he won the heisman is because Grossman was a sophmore. I don't know if Newcombe would have been any better but both of those guys clearly had ego problems. Crouch is still doing what he did in college quitting and going home each time he is not a starter. The only difference is no one is chasing after him asking him to come back like Solich did.

Marlon Lucky? Are you serious? Where were you last year? What are your standards? Does the guy have to win a Heisman? He didn't blow up in his first two years quite like we expected, but he was awesome last year.

I would say Harrison Beck was the biggest bust during the last 10 years. Harrison Beck was a 5 star QB, won a few quarterback camps etc., and then came to Nebraska and went 1 for 10 with 1 interception. His best play was taking a late hit against K-State. He is now a shaky backup at NC State. If that's not a bust, I don't know what is.

I don't really count guys who get injured as busts. That's not really fair.

I wouldn't normally include him in this conversation, but David Horne was a pretty big bust. I went to high school for 2 years with him (at Prep before he switched to Central) and he was a 4 star RB that never did much. He just COULD NOT STOP SMOKING WEED. I think he got the boot after his 4th citation for the stuff. Too bad- he really was a good RB.

I wouldn't normally include him in this conversation, but David Horne was a pretty big bust. I went to high school for 2 years with him (at Prep before he switched to Central) and he was a 4 star RB that never did much. He just COULD NOT STOP SMOKING WEED. I think he got the boot after his 4th citation for the stuff. Too bad- he really was a good RB.

UNI thought so too...he helped them to the Championship in DII in 2006. He quit smoking the weed once Farley kicked his ass...maybe a decent coach at Nebraska would have helped Horne.

Oh well...your loss...UNI's gain :)