ATH Shawn Bodtmann

Turning into a priorities game now.

:yeah

Even after losing him, Nebraska is short on spots due to the 85 limit (guy on HuskerPedia calculates it at 2). Since Bo has said he does not expect any other scholarship players to leave, I think we will see more gray shirts depending on what happens with eligibility.

I feel for the kid. We were the ones that screwed-up with a premature offer and now he is paying for that.

I'd agree that the greyshirt offer was a way of saying " we don't project you as more than a back-up but we won't totally bail on our schollie-offer "

:yeah

He is gone. I wonder where he will end up?

While I do feel bad for the kid, if he is gone, I'm not going to dwell on this one too much. If I remember correctly, he was hurt most (if not all) of his senior year, so I never saw any video of him or heard much about him. I'm not dumping on the kid, because I hope he recovers from his injuries and gets in somewhere.

Awesome:

Football: NU pulls offer for Bodtmann

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — Nebraska has pulled its scholarship offer to linebacker Shawn Bodtmann in the final days before the signing period opens for football. Bodtmann had been committed to NU since April.

He learned the Huskers were no longer interested last week, according to Mike DeAntona, his coach at West Scranton (Pa.) High School.

Commitments are non-binding until Wednesday, widely known as national signing day.

"When he committed to Nebraska, the type of people we are, we commit," DeAntona said. "We stopped his recruiting. He had other options then, but now we are in a tough spot. This is very disappointing, and to me it's unethical, particularly to do it to a kid who's been committed that long."

Nebraska coaches are prohibited under NCAA rules from commenting on prospects until signing day.

Bodtmann, after a senior-season injury, lost weight and struggled to match his level of play from a year earlier. In addition, the Huskers face a numbers crunch to accommodate a sizeable class of newcomers and deserving walk-ons like place-kicker Alex Henery after losing only 16 seniors on scholarships.

NU coaches have worked extensively to help find Bodtmann a scholarship elsewhere — so far, without success.

"That and a couple dimes will get you a cup of coffee," DeAntona said. "I always respected Nebraska and what they stood for. But obviously, there's a big question mark in my mind now, and there should be in other peoples' minds, too."

DeAntona said Bodtmann did nothing to lose Nebraska's trust.

"He's an all-star player with a 1,050 SAT, a 3.7 GPA, and he's never in trouble," the coach said.

His departure leaves the Huskers with 20 known pledges.

Willie,

If the staff no longer has confidence in Shawn's ability, why did they extend a grey shirt offer?

Honestly? It's the nicest way of saying we do want you anymore.

It's really just a way of limiting bad press on the school and not making the kid look horrible either.

What if Bodtman took the grey shirt offer though?

Wouldn't the staff then face a choice of screwing the kid over twice or taking someone they don't want?

Either way, this situation should not have happened. Either the huskers should not have offered originally, or they should have honored their offer.

The only way this is at all ok is if both parties came to an agreement about it, and the article on huskerextra.com sure makes it look like this didn't sit well with him or his coach. Not a good move on our part, but what are you going to do? You don't want to bring a kid in if you know it is not going work well for your own team, or for him. Perhaps we are atually helping this kid's college football experience in the long run, even though we appear pretty negatively for the time being.

Wow, is guess we can kiss any future PA kids goodbye now. Really bad move by our coaches IMO.

Would not worry about it. We hardly ever go into Pennsylvania to begin with. This is probably a once in a decade type thing.

Plus this is only coming from a coach that is defending his player. It's a one sided thing so of course it will make us look bad. This thing did not happen overnight at all and the coach knows this.