The Option Returning????

This is why you don't run the option as your main offensive attack:

In defeating Nebraska, 24-20, Texas used a simple philosophy any defensive coordinator worth the foam in his headphones would come up with: Stop the skittering of option quarterback Eric Crouch and make him do what normal quarterbacks have to do--throw the ball.

The Longhorns did that. They held Crouch to 35 yards rushing on 17 carries and held Nebraska's running game, which was averaging 265.3 yards a game, to 192 yards.

Crouch was forced to throw. He had 20 attempts after averaging 9.5 in the first six games. His numbers (12 completions, 204 yards) were decent but deceiving. Crouch's arm is suspect--there are pizza makers who toss tighter spirals--and he threw only two deep passes. Of his 12 completions, four went to running backs. Two others were screens to wingback Bobby Newcombe. Crouch threw six passes to the team's best deep threat, wide receiver Matt Davison, and three were incomplete. That allowed Texas to stack the line and attack Crouch with blitzes.

This is not a breakthrough in defensive game-planning. Nebraska rolled to 6-0 because it had better athletes than its first six opponents and could run over them. Against Texas, a team whose athletes are on par with the Huskers', Nebraska's lack of a passing threat was fatal.

The loss likely knocks the Huskers from the national-title picture, but it was bound to happen. Nebraska was clamped by a strong Texas defense and still has Texas A&M and Kansas State ahead. Expect them to follow the lead of the Longhorns.

Thus...the beginning of the end for Frank Solich and the traditional Option Offense....

I think an option is essential if you want to use the talent of your QB and make the offense successful. I am in favor of using the option to keep the defensive backfield honest, but I also don't want to see us go to a total run offense like we had, where we can't catch up if we are 2 TD's down. It is essential to have a balanced offense.

I think an option is essential if you want to use the talent of your QB and make the offense successful. I am in favor of using the option to keep the defensive backfield honest, but I also don't want to see us go to a total run offense like we had, where we can't catch up if we are 2 TD's down. It is essential to have a balanced offense.

I don't like that word "essential" in there. I don't think a few option plays are essential, but I do think they would help. In my opinion, running straight up the middle for 5-10 yards per carry would keep the opposing team's DBs just as honest while taking away some of the inherent risk the option has (i.e., freakin fumbles!!!).

However, I am definitely not against the option. Just wanted to make the point that running the ball would be just as effective, especially since we are "supposed" to have an awesome offensive line.

I don't like that word "essential" in there. I don't think a few option plays are essential, but I do think they would help. In my opinion, running straight up the middle for 5-10 yards per carry would keep the opposing team's DBs just as honest while taking away some of the inherent risk the option has (i.e., freakin fumbles!!!).

However, I am definitely not against the option. Just wanted to make the point that running the ball would be just as effective, especially since we are "supposed" to have an awesome offensive line.

The reason they are essential was proven by Keller, he was a sitting duck in the pocket, where if he could have taken off to one side or the other with the option of either pitching the ball, taking off with it himself or passing it, he would have had more success. BC wouldn't let him take off period. Or offense telegraphed the plays, if it wasn't an immediate hand off, then they knew it was a pass, and knew where to find Keller. If you don't like essential, then use necessary. :clap

In defeating Nebraska, 24-20, Texas used a simple philosophy any defensive coordinator worth the foam in his headphones would come up with: Stop the skittering of option quarterback Eric Crouch and make him do what normal quarterbacks have to do--throw the ball.

The Longhorns did that. They held Crouch to 35 yards rushing on 17 carries and held Nebraska's running game, which was averaging 265.3 yards a game, to 192 yards.

Crouch was forced to throw. He had 20 attempts after averaging 9.5 in the first six games. His numbers (12 completions, 204 yards) were decent but deceiving. Crouch's arm is suspect--there are pizza makers who toss tighter spirals--and he threw only two deep passes. Of his 12 completions, four went to running backs. Two others were screens to wingback Bobby Newcombe. Crouch threw six passes to the team's best deep threat, wide receiver Matt Davison, and three were incomplete. That allowed Texas to stack the line and attack Crouch with blitzes.

This is not a breakthrough in defensive game-planning. Nebraska rolled to 6-0 because it had better athletes than its first six opponents and could run over them. Against Texas, a team whose athletes are on par with the Huskers', Nebraska's lack of a passing threat was fatal.

The loss likely knocks the Huskers from the national-title picture, but it was bound to happen. Nebraska was clamped by a strong Texas defense and still has Texas A&M and Kansas State ahead. Expect them to follow the lead of the Longhorns.

Thus...the beginning of the end for Frank Solich and the traditional Option Offense....

Yeah, except Texas A&M and Kansas State "followed" their "lead" to the tune of 0-37 and 15-41 losses. With their on par athletes, they bottled up Crouch's skittering to the tune of 137 and 158 yards.

And we bowled over Texas in the Big 12 CCG.

But other than that...

Yeah, except Texas A&M and Kansas State "followed" their "lead" to the tune of 0-37 and 15-41 losses. With their on par athletes, they bottled up Crouch's skittering to the tune of 137 and 158 yards.

And we bowled over Texas in the Big 12 CCG.

But other than that...

i was gonna say, i dont think CY did his homework on that particular season.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the option, provided you have the right players, coaching and play calling. You can't be predictable on first - second down, and then throw on 3rd and long.

I don't remember the exact year, it was in one of the Orange Bowl games vs Miami in the late 80 or early 90s. Bill Walsh was doing commentary for the network. He said Nebraskas offense was outdated and did not work anymore (don't remember the exact words) Shortly after that NU went 60-3 in a 5 year period with 3 NCs, running that same offense and probably running even more.

It all depends on the play calling, players, and coaching. I don't think the option will come back full time, (not that it ever was) but I think it could be a good thing to do it at least a little bit.

One thing I do like about the option is that when you hold on to the ball for long drives that take 5-10 minutes off the clock it keeps the other teams offense on the sideline and cooling their heels.

post-4426-1207698097.jpg

I remember that game. I believe we missed 2 field goals and had another one blocked. We easily could have won that game. <_<

Yet....we didnt

I think we've proven over the last few years, that repeated hits on the deltoid muscle tends to hinder our QB's ability to throw with touch.

Not even sure they use the same shoulder pads (Option QB vs. primarily passing QB)

Still.

I'd probably wet myself if I saw us line up in the Power I and the QB kept it on an option.

I remember that game. I believe we missed 2 field goals and had another one blocked. We easily could have won that game. <_<

Yet....we didnt

If Buckhalter hadn't fumbled on the 3 Nu wins that game.

But if my Aunt had a package she'd be my uncle I suppose

clearly, watson wants to keep the option of running the option as an option.

whether he calls the option during an actual game is optional.

It will be nice to have the option of running the option in order to keep defenses aware of the option.

And having the option of running the read option or the more tradition option is also an option.

The option, mostly from the shotgun has made it's way back in to CFB. Every team in the top 10 other than USC runs some variation of the option.

So don't automatically think of Frankie's style of option, and by the way under TO we were not an option team, we had a power running game that used the option.

Just watch some old games, TO used alot more ISO's, counters, zones and set-up the defense first by running inside with the IB and FB, then using the option similarly like a passing team does with the long ball.

Yet....we didnt

Depends on what kind of package she had.... :clap

Yet....we didnt

Or if the illegal block on Mike Brown at the point-of-attack had been called when Texas got the go-ahead score, still can't believe they didn't flag that crap.