Mark Schlabach: 8 or 9 wins possible for Huskers!

Shane(Denver)

How much of a improvment will we see at Nebraska with Pelini?

MARK SCHLABACH

The defense certainly can't get any worse. Pelini will bring a degree of toughness to them. But it may take one or two recruiting classes to really get better on that side of the ball. But I am sure they will not be giving up 70 points in games. They have plenty of fire power on offense, so I think they can get eight or nine wins.

Interesting opinion!

I don't get why everyone thinks that we will need recruiting classes to get better. The players that will start on defense next year will have been recruited during the Callahan era, and are some of the most highly touted recruits we have ever had here. We have talent now. Check the past recuiting class archive on Scout.com if you don't believe me: 2005 Recruiting Class (sort by National Ranking)

Our failures on defense are a factor of scheme and coaching, not talent level. Pelini isn't dealing with a bunch of scrubs; he has real ball players.

Shane(Denver)

MARK SCHLABACH

The defense certainly can't get any worse. Pelini will bring a degree of toughness to them. But it may take one or two recruiting classes to really get better on that side of the ball. But I am sure they will not be giving up 70 points in games. They have plenty of fire power on offense, so I think they can get eight or nine wins.

Interesting opinion!

I can agree with that, nine might be a little bit of a strech. But eight wins is very do-able.

Shane(Denver)

MARK SCHLABACH

Interesting opinion!

I can agree with that, nine might be a little bit of a strech. But eight wins is very do-able.

Here's an objective viewpoint....

Best case scenario. Could get better if MU, KU or CU suffers any significant injuries:

Western Michigan Home Should win 1-0

San Jose State Home Should win 2-0

New Mexico State Home Should win 3-0

Virginia Tech Home Tough loss 3-1

Missouri Home No way 3-2

Texas Tech Road Unlikely 3-3

Iowa State Road Difficult win 4-3

Baylor Home Big win 5-3

Oklahoma Road No way 5-4

Kansas Home Difficult win 6-4

Kansas State Road Difficult win 7-4

Colorado Home Difficult win 8-4

Nebraska has a very favorable schedule this season. Only 4 games outside of Lincoln, most of the toughest in-conference foes are playing in Lincoln (MU, KU, CU). I don't see NU as a very good road team yet, but when you mostly eating home cooking.... if the Huskers get a few breaks, ya never know. I don't think NU will have ANY easy games after October 1, except maybe Baylor... but the way they improved in basketball, you should be very wary.

Shane(Denver)

MARK SCHLABACH

Interesting opinion!

Best case scenario. Could get better if MU, KU or CU suffers any significant injuries:

Missouri Home No way 3-2

Baylor Home Big win 5-3

Oklahoma Road No way 5-4

Nebraska has a very favorable schedule this season. Only 4 games outside of Lincoln, most of the toughest in-conference foes are playing in Lincoln (MU, KU, CU). I don't see NU as a very good road team yet, but when you mostly eating home cooking.... if the Huskers get a few breaks, ya never know. I don't think NU will have ANY easy games after October 1, except maybe Baylor... but the way they improved in basketball, you should be very wary.

Was the double post for emphasis? Just kidding. Anyway, I agree with most of what you're saying, except Va Tech has already suffered some big injuries and Nebraska is ALWAYS about 10x times better at home than on the road. They have a shot against MU at home so it's not "no way." The Tech and Okie games on the road are very unlikely to win though, I agree.

I don't get why everyone thinks that we will need recruiting classes to get better. The players that will start on defense next year will have been recruited during the Callahan era, and are some of the most highly touted recruits we have ever had here. We have talent now. Check the past recuiting class archive on Scout.com if you don't believe me: 2005 Recruiting Class (sort by National Ranking)

Our failures on defense are a factor of scheme and coaching, not talent level. Pelini isn't dealing with a bunch of scrubs; he has real ball players.

Look at the list, I don't even know the names of half of these people and a lot of them have been large dissapointments. A lot of these guys were juco's and are already graduated or left the program. Zach Potter is one that really sticks out for me as a big dissapointment, I really thought he should have better prepared himself for last year, when I thought he should have already been dominant. IMO he is mediocre at best, but my judgement will always be harsh on Potter, ever since hearing his choice quote saying he didn't really train very hard until Carriker left <_< . Broadcaster's base the majority of their opinions on on the field play. Thus far our "talent" hasn't proven anything to them other than being the worst defense in school history. I don't understand why everyone is so surprised people think we don't have any talent....

I'm not surprised that people see us as a talent lacking team. We have done nothing to prove ourselves any different. I think the best way to describe our talent on this team is undeveloped. We have gotten a few big name recruits over the last four seasons and not one can we say has lived up to the expectations. Pelini will do a better job of developing what talent we do have and making sure that everyone works hard ALL the time. Like Pelini has said, its about accountabiliy.

Shane(Denver)

MARK SCHLABACH

Interesting opinion!

Missouri Home No way 3-2

Baylor Home Big win 5-3

Oklahoma Road No way 5-4

I'd agree with you on this, pretty much exactly. The schedule is a little more manageable with 8 home games.

Here's my thought...

Missouri Home Unlikely, but possible 3-2

Texas Tech Road Difficult win 4-2

Iowa State Road Difficult win 5-2

Baylor Home Big win 6-2

Oklahoma Road No way 6-3

Kansas Home Difficult loss 6-4

Kansas State Road Should win 7-4

Same final record, but a little different

Shane(Denver)

MARK SCHLABACH

Interesting opinion!

Missouri Home No way 3-2

Baylor Home Big win 5-3

Oklahoma Road No way 5-4

Was the double post for emphasis? Just kidding. Anyway, I agree with most of what you're saying, except Va Tech has already suffered some big injuries and Nebraska is ALWAYS about 10x times better at home than on the road. They have a shot against MU at home so it's not "no way." The Tech and Okie games on the road are very unlikely to win though, I agree.

Yeah, how is KU ? MU going from tough win for the Huskers to no way? Mizzou has a better shot maybe, but not THAT much better. PRetty good guess overall, Mizzou, and you are right on Injuries. A KU or MU loss of the the starter puts both programs down, hard to tell how much, but it could be considerable step back for both. KU at least has a better dense, but Mizzou is a little better team overall most likely, but I think someone's rival bias may be coming out a bit...