SIGNED: OT Jess Coffey

He was another one that was landed by Tim Beck. Bryan Munson was just on 1620 and said that Beck was the recruiter that helped Kansas get to where they are at.

It is great to have a recruiter that has the IN in Texas. It would be a bonus if he could start capitalizing on his Phoenix connections.

Sucks for KU that they aren't on the level yet where they don't get raided for the ace coaches. Beck and the DC(Young I think), were big losses. Good for us though.

Beck was a hell of a get, glad he and Bo went to the same school.

The O-line slots could start filling-up fairly quickly.

No kidding. 250 bench max? If this kid is going to overpower anyone he needs to hit the weights.

In a way, kind of back to tradition. Take the kids that need some time to develop 'em. Stick 'em in the weight room for a year, have 'em hit the training table, run 'em through the conditioning drills for a years. In other words, redshirt 'em. Then, as a redshirt freshman, get 'em on the scout team for some technique and experience against first-team defenders. By the time they are redshirt sophs, you begin to see some monsters developing.

No kidding. 250 bench max? If this kid is going to overpower anyone he needs to hit the weights.

Can't teach 6'-8" (he's still growing) but you sure can get this kid to the weight room and the training table. Considering he's a Top 100 in Texas without a great bench max, a little time with Nebraska's S&C and he will be just fine. Better to have the body built the correct way than to have to undo previous efforts.

In a way, kind of back to tradition. Take the kids that need some time to develop 'em. Stick 'em in the weight room for a year, have 'em hit the training table, run 'em through the conditioning drills for a years. In other words, redshirt 'em. Then, as a redshirt freshman, get 'em on the scout team for some technique and experience against first-team defenders. By the time they are redshirt sophs, you begin to see some monsters developing.

I agree AR and I think it's a way for us to get back to our roots at NU. :thumbs

Can't teach 6'-8" (he's still growing) but you sure can get this kid to the weight room and the training table. Considering he's a Top 100 in Texas without a great bench max, a little time with Nebraska's S&C and he will be just fine. Better to have the body built the correct way than to have to undo previous efforts.

He definately has the frame to add the extra weight and I think we'll see this kid explode once he gets into our training program.

By the way, I wonder if he has an A&M offer?

I'm glad Coffey's on board, but with early commitments, you're never quite sure. An old Scout article suggests that he had A&M on top and would commit if offered. Granted, the article is dated. But remember Eddie Brown? If A&M decides to offer late in the game, can we hold on to him?

OWH Article

Coffey recently had narrowed his list to NU, Kansas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State and Arkansas, although he didn't yet have offers from the Aggies or Cowboys. Among others pursuing him were Tulsa, New Mexico and Harvard.

In what can be an ugly business, Coffey said he got a reassuring vibe from schools even though they lost out to the Huskers.

"When I was talking to coaches from other programs, once they pretty much saw I wasn't going there they told me how good the coaches were at Nebraska and that I made a good decision," Coffey said. "Other programs were telling me how highly they thought of Nebraska."

I guess I answered myself, heh. Apart from the 'other programs telling me how highly they thought of Nebraska' - none too reassuring, actually.

By the way, I wonder if he has an A&M offer?

I'm glad Coffey's on board, but with early commitments, you're never quite sure. An old Scout article suggests that he had A&M on top and would commit if offered. Granted, the article is dated. But remember Eddie Brown? If A&M decides to offer late in the game, can we hold on to him?

True - but, that's the reality of today's recruiting game, and applies to a lot of kids. All we can do is cross our fingers and hope that the verbals carry through on signing day.

Good point. Dobson should have a blast working with the frame this kid has.

• 5 months later...

First-team Dallas Morning News All-Area Team:

Jesse Coffey, Denton Guyer, Sr.

Position: Offensive line

Height, weight: 6-7, 295

About Coffey: A Nebraska recruit, Coffey was a big part of Guyer's surprising run to the state semifinals. He graded at 91 percent for the season and recorded 52 pancake blocks. Coffey was a three-year starter for Guyer.

Did you know? Coffey has a 5.0 grade-point average and is tied for class valedictorian. He intends to study engineering in college.

Follow link above for video