SIGNED: OT Jess Coffey

• 1 month later...

http://www.goldhelmet.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=Coffey

Not that test scores mean particularly much, but it's not much of a stretch to say if he gets into Harvard, it'll be because he's an athlete. I don't know a thing about Mr. Coffey, so this is just a generalization: most big-time DI football prospects, if they decide to go to a Harvard or a Stanford, it's for the name, and not because they *really* want to get an education. And they'd be making a mistake, in my opinion.

No offense but I think that this statement is ridiculous. Making a mistake to go to Stanford or Harvard? These are two of the top academic institutions in the known universe.

The odds of making a career out of football are absurdly low. If a kid decides to leverage himself and go to an Ivy League instead of trying to make the league, not only does it enable him to have access to some of the highest paying jobs available after he graduates, but also gives him the chance to make the NFL, as guys in the league from these schools are not unheard of.

Don't get me wrong, I want Jess Coffey to come to Nebraska just as much as everyone else here, but if one of these guys chooses to go to Stanford or Harvard over us, I would be much less upset about it than if they went to an Oklahoma or Texas, simply because they didn't choose another football school over us thinking the athletic program was better, they chose one that was better academically.

Great to hear that Jess is N. Glad to have you!

As to the notion of most players not going on scholarship for an education but rather going just because they can in hopes of hitting the big leagues --- well, I am in 25th year as a University professor and have been at 5 institutions and can attest that the vast majority of scholarship athletes take the scholarship because it facilitates their education. Overwhelmingly, these kids know that the NFL, or NBA, or WNBA, or pro options in volleyball, or whatever sport and really, really, really unlikely to cash in on. Most that I have met enjoy the game and take the scholly to enjoy it as a secondary blessing and then get an expense-free education. this is more the case at the non-D1 schools and the non-competitive (in sports) schools (like Ivy league). there are always those athletes that are not interested in school and take the scholly to play, chase the opposite sex, drink some and leave w/o ever thinking education --- but not at Stanford or an ivy league school.

Really, the scholarship system works well for the majority --- many would not get that education otherwise do get an education because of sports. The great abuses tend to be at the most competitive D1 programs --- and that represents only a subset of the whole.

NU lands O-line commit

Nebraska has picked up its seventh oral commitment, this one from 6-foot-7, 270-pound Jess Coffey of Denton, Texas.

Coffey chose the Huskers over Kansas. Of the seven commits Nebraska is known to have right now, three are from the Lone Star State. Quarterback Cody Green and running back Dontrayevous Robinson are the others.

Coffey is the first offensive lineman in the 2009 class.