Danny Woodhead

From journalstar.com blog:

Woodhead signs with Jets, Octavien to K.C.

Danny Woodhead was a big star of ESPN's draft coverage on Sunday. By the end of the day, a bunch of New Yorkers inside Radio City Music Hall were even chanting the name of a kid from North Plate: DAN-NY WOOD-HEAD!"

He was even interviewed from his home, in which he impressed with his composure and also his words: "I’m not one to talk about myself a lot. But I do feel like I have some good speed, some good vision. I’m going to work hard every single day."

When the interview was over, ESPN analyst Craig Mortensen said: "He just won me over."

Well, after all the talk and continual TV shots of Woodhead watching the draft, the 5-foot-7, 200-pound running back from Chadron State didn't get drafted.

But just as the draft was ending, he signed on as a free agent with the New York Jets -- yes, the same Jets who now employ former Husker coach Bill Callahan, an assistant head coach of New York's offense.

"Actually, (at the end) I was hoping I wasn’t going to get drafted, just because of the opportunity I have at New York," Woodhead said.

And how about playing under Coach Callahan?

"Yeah, some people said something about that," Woodhead said. "I’m sure he’ll be a great coach. I'm just excited about the chance."

Former Husker linebacker Steve Octavien didn't get drafted but said "it's a done deal" and he will be signing a two-year deal with Kansas City either tonight or tomorrow.

Meanwhile, ex-Husker quarterback Sam Keller said Sunday night he hadn't yet been in contact with any teams about a possible free-agent deal.

"I'm Just waiting to hear anything, my friend," Keller said. "There's nothing right now, to be honest."

Octo and Demario in KC thats kicks ass. That's awesome Danny is getting a shot although it is with Clownahan, can't this guy get a break. As for Sam, if you wanted to play in the NFL you should have played better in the NCAA. And I like Sam. And I wasn't drunk on the second day and thought I saw a Iowa State guy get drafted. Go luck to all the former huskers. (cept 13)

Why are Danny Woodhead topics on the main "Husker" board?

Who cares. The kid is from Nebraska and won the Harlon Hill Trophy two years in a row which is the best award you could win in Division 2 and he's now the ALL-TIME leader rusher in his division. This kid is from Nebraska and we should be happy that a kid from Nebraska has won that huge award two years in a row and is now the leading rusher.

Some "Husker fans" just want to complain about the stupidest things.

Way to represent the state of Nebraska Danny!!!!!

Who cares. The kid is from Nebraska and won the Harlon Hill Trophy two years in a row which is the best award you could win in Division 2 and he's now the ALL-TIME leader rusher in his division. This kid is from Nebraska and we should be happy that a kid from Nebraska has won that huge award two years in a row and is now the leading rusher.

He still didnt play for Nebraska...

For real, sometimes I think there's people on this board who literally blow gaskets/have a stroke/convulse into a full-blown seizure when somebody posts something in the wrong board.

But, back on topic...I've always liked Woodhead and I really wish Callahan would've decided to give him a chance. I think he would've been something real special on the D1 level.

He still didnt play for Nebraska...

Who among us did?

He probably played for the whole state as much if not more than any of Callihan's recruits did.

How can "We" as fans always talk about how "We are #1" (Slogan on My 1st bumper sticker in '71..5 years before I was old enough to drive) and not consider each other Huskers..

For real, sometimes I think there's people on this board who literally blow gaskets/have a stroke/convulse into a full-blown seizure when somebody posts something in the wrong board.

But, back on topic...I've always liked Woodhead and I really wish Callahan would've decided to give him a chance. I think he would've been something real special on the D1 level.

:yeah

Ya bunch of Prissy Librarians :box

• 2 months later...